[comp.windows.x] export contrib procedure?

ejk@ux2.cso.uiuc.edu (Ed Kubaitis - CSO ) (04/25/91)

What are the procedures/guidelines/rules for contributing software to
contrib on export.lcs.mit.edu?

----------------------------------
Ed Kubaitis (ejk@ux2.cso.uiuc.edu)
Computing Services Office - University of Illinois, Urbana

rws@expo.lcs.mit.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (04/26/91)

    What are the procedures/guidelines/rules for contributing software to
    contrib on export.lcs.mit.edu?

It should be X-related.  It should be in tar format, compressed.
That's about it.

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (05/04/91)

In article <9104261520.AA05343@expire.lcs.mit.edu> rws@expo.lcs.mit.EDU (Bob Scheifler) writes:

>    What are the procedures/guidelines/rules for contributing software to
>    contrib on export.lcs.mit.edu?
>
>It should be X-related.  It should be in tar format, compressed.
>That's about it.

For those of us on the user end of things, it's nice if the package
contains the following:

	* An Imakefile (if it doesn't, at least be willing to incorporate
	  one of the ones you will certainly receive).  It's best if
	  it can be used with xmkmf to work outside of the X development
	  tree.

	* A README with your email address near the top

	* A manual page (try to use the prefix .man like the other X stuff)

	* A patchlevel.h file that defines PATCHLEVEL

There are a number of us out here that build everything that comes
along, and will be glad to help make your software more portable.  In
my case, the lack of an Imakefile means I either have to write one or I
have to hack the Makefile to add extra libraries and defines to make it
work.

dan@watson.ibm.COM (Walt Daniels) (05/05/91)

One more thing on the wish list for contributors:
Please include a notice about restrictions. I suggest the
standard MIT X windows copyright and licensing agreement
with the names changed suitably. Or a clear statement that
it is in the Public Domain and hence completely unrestricted.

Without something like the above many people CANNOT touch your
contribution and many would not if they had any advice from a lawyer.

william@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (William Cheng) (05/06/91)

In article <050591.123122.dan@watson.ibm.com> dan@watson.ibm.COM (Walt Daniels) writes:
>One more thing on the wish list for contributors:
>Please include a notice about restrictions. I suggest the
>standard MIT X windows copyright and licensing agreement
>with the names changed suitably. Or a clear statement that
>it is in the Public Domain and hence completely unrestricted.
>             -------------
>
>Without something like the above many people CANNOT touch your
>contribution and many would not if they had any advice from a lawyer.

Are these programs in the contrib directory "FreeWare" instead of
"Public Domain Software".  I thought being Public Domain means that
it has NO copyright, and I believe that most of these software do
have copyrights.
--
Bill Cheng // UCLA Computer Science Department // (213) 206-7135
3277 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024 // USA

In article <1991May5.232548.741@cs.ucla.edu> william@oahu.cs.ucla.edu (William Cheng) writes:
>In article <050591.123122.dan@watson.ibm.com> dan@watson.ibm.COM (Walt Daniels) writes:
>>One more thing on the wish list for contributors:
>>Please include a notice about restrictions. I suggest the
>>standard MIT X windows copyright and licensing agreement
>>with the names changed suitably. Or a clear statement that
>>it is in the Public Domain and hence completely unrestricted.
>>
>>Without something like the above many people CANNOT touch your
>>contribution and many would not if they had any advice from a lawyer.

Please ignore my previous posting.  I think I misunderstood what
Walt Daniels wrote.  Sorry!