[comp.windows.x] X Terminal message displayer

srs@ticnj.UUCP (Scott Strool) (04/20/91)

Does anybody no of a program that has the functionality of wall that can
be used with X Terminals. Our administrator runs a wall to alert users of
a system coming down and since I don't have a console I never see it.
Such a program should be able to display any message to an X DISPLAY.

Thanks,

--
Scott Strool      	(908) 747-4700		srs@iex.com
IEX Corporation

gildea@expo.lcs.mit.EDU (Stephen Gildea) (04/22/91)

    Does anybody no of a program that has the functionality of wall that can
    be used with X Terminals.

Sounds like Zephyr, a window messaging system from MIT Project Athena,
would fit the bill here.  Using Zephyr you can send "windowgrams" to
individual users, classes of users, or everyone logged in.

 < Stephen

geer@irc.cbm.DEC.COM (04/23/91)

> Does anybody no of a program that has the functionality of wall that
> can be used with X Terminals. Our administrator runs a wall to alert
> users of a system coming down and since I don't have a console I never
> see it.  Such a program should be able to display any message to an X
> DISPLAY.

For this, I'd suggest you mail to

	info-zephyr@athena.mit.edu

or, more generally,

	info-athena@athena.mit.edu

and repeat your question.

		Daniel E. Geer, Jr., Sc.D., Technical Director
		Innovation Technology Resource Center
		External Research Program
		Digital Equipment Corporation
		1 Kendall Square - Bldg. 1400
		Cambridge, Massachusetts  02141

		Email:     geer@crl.dec.com
		Telephone: 617-621-7443
		FAX:       617-621-7423

tim@cs.wisc.edu (Tim Theisen) (04/23/91)

In article <1024@ticnj.UUCP>, srs@ticnj.UUCP (Scott Strool) writes:
|> Does anybody no of a program that has the functionality of wall that can
|> be used with X Terminals. Our administrator runs a wall to alert users of
|> a system coming down and since I don't have a console I never see it.
|> Such a program should be able to display any message to an X DISPLAY.

Sure!  I wrote a program called xwall.  It was written to avoid problems
with not seeing wall messages in buried or iconified windows.  It also
gets rid of the annoying problem of the same wall message being written
to a dozen windows on your display.

It also traps console messages on Ultrix and BSD derived systems.

There are two parts to xwall.  The xwall daemon, xwalld, connects to the display
and waits for xwall messages or console messages.  Xwalld will automatically
reestablish lost connections to the X server.  Xwall passes messages to xwalld via selections.

To fully utilize xwall, a modified /bin/wall from the 4.3 BSD distribution is provided.

xwall is available from shorty.cs.wisc.edu as pub/xwall.tar.Z.
xwall is also available from export.lcs.mit.edu as contrib/xwall.tar.Z.
--
Tim Theisen             Department of Computer Sciences
Systems Programmer      University of Wisconsin-Madison

jmd@ursa.UUCP (Josh Diamond) (04/25/91)

In article <9104221502.AA00254@alex.lcs.mit.edu> gildea@expo.lcs.mit.EDU (Stephen Gildea) writes:

>    Does anybody no of a program that has the functionality of wall that can
>    be used with X Terminals.
>
>Sounds like Zephyr, a window messaging system from MIT Project Athena,
>would fit the bill here.  Using Zephyr you can send "windowgrams" to
>individual users, classes of users, or everyone logged in.
>
> < Stephen

I am certain that many of us out here would like to get our grubby
little paws on this beast.

How can we get it?

Is it available for anonymous FTP?

			Thanks in advance...

				Josh Diamond
				AKA Spidey!!!

--
 /\ \  / /\  Josh Diamond      / NOTE THE     \       jmd%ursa@ctr.columbia.edu
//\\ .. //\\ AKA Spidey!!!     \ NEW ADDRESS! /   ...!ctr.columbia.edu!ursa!jmd

gildea@expo.lcs.mit.EDU (Stephen Gildea) (04/26/91)

    >Sounds like Zephyr, a window messaging system from MIT Project Athena,
    >would fit the bill here.  Using Zephyr you can send "windowgrams" to
    >individual users, classes of users, or everyone logged in.
    >
    > < Stephen

    Is it available for anonymous FTP?

Yes, you can get Zephyr via anonymous FTP from athena-dist.mit.edu.

 < Stephen
   MIT X Consortium

dennisg@kgw1.xetron.COM (Dennis Glatting) (05/01/91)

In article <14589@ursa.UUCP>, jmd@ursa.UUCP (Josh Diamond) writes:
|> In article <9104221502.AA00254@alex.lcs.mit.edu> gildea@expo.lcs.mit.EDU (Stephen Gildea) writes:
|> >
|> >    Does anybody no of a program that has the functionality of wall that can
|> >    be used with X Terminals.
|> >
|> >Sounds like Zephyr, a window messaging system from MIT Project Athena,
|> >would fit the bill here.  Using Zephyr you can send "windowgrams" to
|> >individual users, classes of users, or everyone logged in.
|> >
|> > < Stephen
|>
|> I am certain that many of us out here would like to get our grubby
|> little paws on this beast.

pardon my ignorance but doesn't one need the UNIX and BSD sources to
implement Zephyr???

--
 ..!uunet!kgw2!dennisg  | Dennis P. Glatting
 dennisg@Xetron.COM     | so?

gildea@expo.lcs.mit.EDU (Stephen Gildea) (05/06/91)

    pardon my ignorance but doesn't one need the UNIX and BSD sources to
    implement Zephyr???

Zephyr is layered on top of X and BSD sockets; system sources are not
necessary.  Even more interestingly, it is already implemented and
available from MIT, so all you have to do is install it.

 < Stephen
   MIT X Consortium