[comp.windows.x] xgks

tpf@jdyx.UUCP (Tom Friedel) (10/12/89)

I managed to build xgks on a 80386 SysV machine.  Well almost.
There were three functions in xgks/x/xevent.c that were some
sort of SIG_IO signal handler.  I stubbed these, but think I
need them because my windows do no resize, iconify or handle
input events correctly.  SysV doesn't have SIG_IO (SIG_IOT?)

The applications initialy come up fine, and most of the simple
demos apppear to work.   They just dont handle X events right.

I built the sled demo, not knowing what it was.  It needs five
files to run which I don't have.  There is apparently no
documentation (although it is referred to).  I don't even know
what it is supposed to do!

Are there any other limitations I might run into, not owning the
the target machine or having a Fortran compiler?

Tom

--
Tom Friedel  (404) 320-7624 tpf@jdyx.UUCP
also:  tpf@jdyx.atlanta.ga.us ...gatech!emory!jdyx!tpf

gates@PHANTOM.LARC.NASA.GOV (Ray Gates) (02/09/90)

Sorry to waste bandwidth with this but.....

I need an Internet address for
		unidata.ucar.edu

	for my local host tables. Thanks in advance.

	"Mama, mama, many worlds       |	Ray Gates
	 have come since I first       |	CSC/NASA-Langley
               left home."	       |        gates@ipsun.larc.nasa.gov
				       |        804.865.1725
DISCLAIMER: The comments/opinions contained within are my own and do not
            necessarily represent the opinions of my employer(s).

cristy@eplrx7.uucp (John Cristy) (02/23/90)

  Could someone either mail me or let me know where I can get the patches to
  X11R4 XGKS.

  Thanks muchy in advance.

  cristy@vax1.acs.udel.edu

--
The UUCP Mailer

ems@socrates.JPL.NASA.gov (Eric Slimko) (10/21/90)

Recently, I have been using XGKS in place of NCAR graphics GKS system.
This has brought some questions about additional capibilty to mind
(as always is the case).  Maybe someone in wonderful X-Land has also
asked about these capabilities and came up with a solution:

1. I'd like to be able to produce PostScript directly from XGKS' X-Window,
instead of having to go thru this metafile buisness.  It seems all the
information is contained sybolically in XGKS, so producting a PostScript
plot directly from it should (let's underline that word) be straightforward.

2. I'd like some kind of XGKS Widget that you can create which captures
all XGKS input and output instead of XGKS creating its own window.  Its
much better for a GUI to have control over all its widgets instead of
its output being thrown up in some other window.

Well, thats my wish list.  Anyone have any presents for me? (I know its
a little EARLY for Chistmas, but...)

Thanks much,
--
Eric Slimko               |  Jet Propulsion Laboratories
ems@socrates.jpl.nasa.gov |  NASA/CalTech

neilb@dcs.leeds.ac.UK (Neil Bowers) (10/22/90)

Eric Slimko writes:
> 2. I'd like some kind of XGKS Widget that you can create which captures
> all XGKS input and output instead of XGKS creating its own window.  Its
> much better for a GUI to have control over all its widgets instead of
> its output being thrown up in some other window.

I have just such a beast. I just ripped routines out of xgks,
and modified them for the XgksWidget's realize and destroy procedures.
Let me know if you want a copy and I'll mail it to you.

> Well, thats my wish list.  Anyone have any presents for me?
> (I know its a little EARLY for Chistmas, but...)

Merry Christmas Eric, what you gonna get me ;-)

Neil

= Neil Bowers,			JANET       : neilb@leeds.dcs		=
= School of Computer Studies,	UUCP        : ukc!leeds.dcs!neilb	=
= University of Leeds,		EARN/BITNET : neilb@dcs.leeds.ac.uk	=
= Leeds LS2 9JT.		PHONE       : +44 532 335478		=
= ignoring the bad things makes you end up believing that bad		=
= things never happen					Julian Barnes	=

ahn@cbnewsh.att.com (john.k.ahn) (05/10/91)

Hello,

Can anyone tell me the ftp site I can get xgks from?  Does it do what
I suspect it does (executes gks commands in a window)?

Thanks in advance,

J. Ahn
jahn@homxc.att.com

I do not speak for AT&T

neilb@dcs.leeds.ac.UK (N Bowers) (05/10/91)

> Can anyone tell me the ftp site I can get xgks from?

unidata.ucar.edu [128.117.140.3] in pub/xgks.tar.Z

there is an Xgks Widget which can be found on export.lcs.mit.edu
[18.30.0.238] in contrib/xgks-widget.tar.Z (you need XGKS to use it)

> Does it do what I suspect it does (executes gks commands in a window)?

XGKS creates a toplevel window for each GKS workstation created,
which you use as you would any other GKS workstation.
It implements level 2c GKS.

The widget lets you create a workstation in a widget rather than
a toplevel window.

Neil