[comp.windows.x] Multiplatform considerations

guttman@mashie.ece.jhu.edu (Michael A Guttman) (05/03/91)

Hi all,

We're going to develop a package with a GUI and we need to support
Sparc, IBM RISC and SGI workstations.  We would like to use a UI
builder program to cut development time.

I'm new to X GUI programming and am looking for suggestions.  Our goal
is minimization of development time while supporting the multiple
platforms.

First one basic question:
Is MOTIF just a window manager, or does it also fall into the toolkit
category?

One possible solution for us:
Someone recommended a UI builder named "Devguide" from Sun which
creates code for Xview.  Has anybody out there ported Xview to the IBM
and/or SGI?  Will code written to use the Xview tools work well under
the window managers of the other machines (i.e. MOTIF)?

Other solutions/experiences?

Thanks,
	Mike
	guttman@mashie.ece.jhu.edu

guttman@mashie.ece.jhu.edu (Michael A Guttman) (05/07/91)

erc@pai.UUCP (Eric F. Johnson) (05/10/91)

Michael A Guttman (guttman@mashie.ece.jhu.edu) writes:
>We're going to develop a package with a GUI and we need to support
>Sparc, IBM RISC and SGI workstations.  We would like to use a UI
>builder program to cut development time.

Application builders exist for both Motif and Open Look. There seems
to be more available for Motif.

Don't expect application builders to do everything, though. There is
still a lot of work in creating commercial-grade software, even if
you use an application builder.

>First one basic question:
>Is MOTIF just a window manager, or does it also fall into the toolkit
>category?

Motif includes a window manager (mwm), a style guide, a toolkit (C library)
and a prototyping language (called UIL). The Motif toolkit sits on
top of the Xt Intrinsics, much like OLIT (Open Look Intrinsics Toolkit),
and is much different, therefore, from XView (which does not use the Xt
Intrinsics, but uses C functions that look a lot like SunView functions).

Motif is generally supported on more platforms than XView. The choice
of which toolkit is best for you is one of taste--beauty is in the
eye of the beholder and all that.

>	Mike
>	guttman@mashie.ece.jhu.edu

Hope this helps,
-Eric

P.S., Under separate cover, I'll email you a list of Motif application
builders that was recently posted to comp.windows.x.motif

--
Eric F. Johnson               phone: +1 612 894 0313    BTI: Industrial
Boulware Technologies, Inc.   fax:   +1 612 894 0316    automation systems

dce@smsc.sony.com (David Elliott) (05/10/91)

In article <1759@pai.UUCP>, erc@pai.UUCP (Eric F. Johnson) writes:
|> Don't expect application builders to do everything, though. There is
|> still a lot of work in creating commercial-grade software, even if
|> you use an application builder.

This is a very important statement.

The good thing about application builders is that they make prototyping
a user interface much easier.

The bad thing about application builders is that they make it easier to
write lousy applications more quickly.

There are a lot of Motif programmers out there who are not very good Xt
and Xlib programmers, and some who aren't even experienced X users.
There are few things worse than a program written by someone who isn't
proficient at using the target platform.

--
...David Elliott
...dce@smsc.sony.com | ...!{uunet,mips}!sonyusa!dce