[comp.windows.x] Eye of the beholder

ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Anthony Murdoch) (05/10/91)

Hi guys,

I have a bunch of maps for Eye of the Beholder that quite a few people
have asked me for.  It is my intention to post the to this group
(rec.games.misc), possibly breaking them up and posting one or two per
day (so as not to flood the network at once :).

My problem is that they are in tgif format (the X11 drawing tool).  I was
going to save them as XBM files and then convert them to GIF files that I
could uuencode and post.  However, the unfortunate thing is, tgif's
printing to xbm files doesn't work properly.  It truncates the file,
leaving off the botton two inches or so.

So, does anyone out there have any suggestions on how I can get these to
you ?  I thought of scanning printouts, but these come out HUGE (a couple
of Meg).  If I could convert them they would be much smaller.  Does anyone
have a patch that will fix the XBM problem.  Are there enough people out
there with tgif to warant sending the tgif files (I doubt it, but I don't
know).

One option that comes to mind is to send out compressed raw postscript
files, or as encapsulated postscript files.  Both compress to about 35K
per file with lharc, about 50K for unix compress.  Is this a reasonable
option ?

ant

--
  V   ant                       "It's great to be young and insane"
 \o/  ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au                    - Dream Team

William.Cheng@nwark.fidonet.org (William Cheng) (05/11/91)

Newsgroups: comp.windows.x

In article <1991May10.070158.11795@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au> ant@brolga.cc.uq.oz.au (Anthony Murdoch) writes:
>Hi guys,
>
>I have a bunch of maps for Eye of the Beholder that quite a few people
>have asked me for.  It is my intention to post the to this group
>(rec.games.misc), possibly breaking them up and posting one or two per
>day (so as not to flood the network at once :).
>
>My problem is that they are in tgif format (the X11 drawing tool).  I was
>going to save them as XBM files and then convert them to GIF files that I
>could uuencode and post.  However, the unfortunate thing is, tgif's
>printing to xbm files doesn't work properly.  It truncates the file,
>leaving off the botton two inches or so.

The bug you are referring to should have been fix in version 2.3
of tgif.  The current version of tgif on export.lcs.mit.edu is
2.5; it should also work.
--
Bill Cheng // UCLA Computer Science Department // (213) 206-7135
3277 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024 // USA
Bill Cheng // UCLA Computer Science Department // (213) 206-7135
3277 Boelter Hall // Los Angeles, California 90024 // USA
william@CS.UCLA.EDU      ...!{uunet|ucbvax}!cs.ucla.edu!william

William.Cheng (William Cheng) (05/11/91)