[comp.windows.x] Help: xdm problems

alfredo@cca.pue.udlap.mx (Alfredo de Regil) (05/06/91)

Hi Xperts:

I just have finished to build the X11R4 on SPARCs running SunOS 4.1.1.
I have some problems with the xdm program:

1) When I try to run xdm like a simple user I get the following message:

	Only root wants to run xdm

   When I type "run xdm" I only call the xdm program itself. Is this way
   of running xdm right? How can root let to the normal users run xdm?
   ( In the beginnig I did not have any .xsession file in my ~/ -I only
     put the Xsession file in /usr/lib/X11/xdm as root. Now I have the
     .xsession file that Phil Howard propose to you but the results are
     the same. )

2) As root I try to run xdm but I get the following errors in the
   /usr/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-errors file. This file is:

      Fatal server bug!
      no screens found

   This action generates another file, xdm-pid:
    2066
    2066
    2066

    After that, the process is done.

These are my mainly problems. I know that thats look poor in information.
I really need your help, so if I have missing some relevant info, please
let me know it.

I have read the xdm man file and I follow some steps it directs. I create
for example the /usr/lib/X11/xdm directory and all the related files that
own to this path.

Which are all my BIG errors? What have I missing? (Please note that I am
not a system administrator but I can work as root anytime)

Thanks (at least for have read this!) for you attention.

PD: Excuse my english please (my native languaje is spanish!)

-- Alfredo
        __            ______ Alfredo De Regil Salinas
    0   | \          /_______ Universidad De Las Americas, Puebla, MEXICO
   /\_^_|  |__      /_________ alfredo@cca.pue.udlap.mx        [Internet]
  `__  ----+  \____/___________ alfredo@udlapvms.pue.udlap.mx  [Internet]
    /\  -|-        \____________ is82576@udlapvms              [Bitnet]

jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) (05/07/91)

[...Mail bounced from this machine.  Here's the mailer reply messages:...]

Connected to cca.pue.udlap.mx:
>>> HELO cca.pue.udlap.mx
<<< 553 cca.pue.udlap.mx host name configuration error
554 <alfredo@cca.pue.udlap.mx>... Service unavailable

[...And the message....]

Date: Tue, 7 May 91 01:46:48 EDT
From: jc@raven.bu.edu
To: alfredo@cca.pue.udlap.mx (Alfredo de Regil)
Subject: Help: XDM problems

Regil> Hi Xperts:

Regil> I just have finished to build the X11R4 on SPARCs running SunOS 4.1.1.
Regil> I have some problems with the xdm program:

Regil> 1) When I try to run xdm like a simple user I get the following message:

Regil> 	Only root wants to run xdm
Regil>
Regil>    When I type "run xdm" I only call the xdm program itself. Is this way
Regil>    of running xdm right? How can root let to the normal users run xdm?
Regil>    ( In the beginnig I did not have any .xsession file in my ~/ -I only
Regil>      put the Xsession file in /usr/lib/X11/xdm as root. Now I have the
Regil>      .xsession file that Phil Howard propose to you but the results are
Regil>      the same. )
Regil>

	Yes, XDM is suppose to be run only from root.  Thus, if there
	are public SUNS available which are not running XDM, some user
	cannot come along and mess things up by executing XDM.

Regil> 2) As root I try to run xdm but I get the following errors in the
Regil>    /usr/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-errors file. This file is:
Regil>
Regil>       Fatal server bug!
Regil>       no screens found

	This is caused by the server you are trying to from the Xservers
	file.  Here is a simple example of what it should look like:

unix:0.0 local /usr/local/X11/bin/Xsun :0

Regil>    This action generates another file, xdm-pid:
Regil>     2066
Regil>     2066
Regil>     ...
Regil>     2066
Regil>
Regil>     After that, the process is done.
Regil>

	The reason you have the pid's like this, is that XDM is trying
	to restart itself over and over again, because it cannot start
	the window server.  So, with the correct Xservers file, this
	should be fixed.

Regil> These are my mainly problems. I know that thats look poor in information.
Regil> I really need your help, so if I have missing some relevant info, please
Regil> let me know it.

Regil> I have read the xdm man file and I follow some steps it directs. I create
Regil> for example the /usr/lib/X11/xdm directory and all the related files that
Regil> own to this path.

	(* laugh *)  Nope, this is *not* poor information as I had
	the same problems and was able to fix them with the above
	info.

Regil> Which are all my BIG errors? What have I missing? (Please note that I am
Regil> not a system administrator but I can work as root anytime)

	Well, your problem is most likely the Xservers file.  Now,
	if from what I have told you doesn't help, you are welcome
	to either send me the files and I can take a look at them
	for you.

Regil> Thanks (at least for have read this!) for you attention.

Regil> PD: Excuse my english please (my native languaje is spanish!)

	Ah, I took 5 years of Spanish and still have problems with it!
	You speak damn good english!

jc

--
					-- James Cameron  (jc@raven.bu.edu)

Signal Processing and Interpretation Lab.  Boston, Mass  (617) 353-2879
"But to risk we must, for the greatest hazard in life is to risk nothing.  For
the man or woman who risks nothing, has nothing, does nothing, is nothing."
	(Quote from the eulogy for the late Christa McAuliffe.)

mouse@lightning.mcrcim.mcgill.EDU (der Mouse) (05/07/91)

> I just have finished to build the X11R4 on SPARCs running SunOS
> 4.1.1.  I have some problems with the xdm program:

> 1) When I try to run xdm like a simple user I get the following message:

> 	Only root wants to run xdm

>    When I type "run xdm" I only call the xdm program itself.  Is this
>    way of running xdm right?

Generally not.  As the message says, unless you're doing something very
strange, xdm should not be run except by root.  This is necessary if it
is to function correctly; it needs to be able to verify users'
passwords and start their shells under their UIDs....

>    How can root let to the normal users run xdm?

You probably don't want to.  In normal use, root runs xdm once, usually
at boot time.  It then possibly forks a server; in any case, users can
run the X server and tell it to ask the xdm server for session service.

> 2) As root I try to run xdm but I get the following errors in the
>    /usr/lib/X11/xdm/xdm-errors file.  This file is:

>       Fatal server bug!
>       no screens found

This looks like a problem with the X server itself, not with xdm.  Try
starting X via xinit instead of xdm.  If you have another machine you
can rlogin from, try logging in over the network and running Xsun that
way.  Until you can get X to start up that way, I wouldn't waste your
time wondering why xdm won't behave.

> Which are all my BIG errors?  What have I missing?

The biggest error that I see is that you're trying to make too many
things work at once.  Ignore xdm for now; get the server working.  Then
worry about making xdm behave.

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

> [...]

	info.

Regil> Which are all my BIG errors? What have I missing? (Please note that I am
Regil> not a system administrator but I can work as root anytime)

	Well, your problem is most likely the Xservers file.  Now,
	if from what I have told you doesn't help, you are welcome
	to either send me the files and I can take a look at them
	for you.

Regil> Thanks (at least for have read this!) for you attention.

Regil> PD: Excuse my english please (my native languaje is spanish!)

	Ah, I took 5 years of Spanish and still have problems with it!
	You speak damn good english!

jc

jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) (05/07/91)

> I just have finished to build the X11R4 on SPARCs running SunOS
> 4.1.1.  I have some problems with the xdm program:

[...deleted good answers to questions about xdm...]

der> This looks like a problem with the X server itself, not with xdm.  Try
der> starting X via xinit instead of xdm.  If you have another machine you
der> can rlogin from, try logging in over the network and running Xsun that
der> way.  Until you can get X to start up that way, I wouldn't waste your
der> time wondering why xdm won't behave.

	The problem is the server definition in the Xservers file.  If
	it is not set up correctly, the X server will not start, and
	therefore, XDM will not have anything to run on.

> Which are all my BIG errors?  What have I missing?

der> The biggest error that I see is that you're trying to make too many
der> things work at once.  Ignore xdm for now; get the server working.  Then
der> worry about making xdm behave.

der> 					der Mouse

	I don't think that his problem is tackling too many things,
	though at first glance it might be.  The solution (as I found
	out) was getting the proper line in the Xservers file.

jc

--

chas@stax.uchicago.edu (Charles Blair) (05/08/91)

In article <JC.91May7093823@raven.bu.edu> jc@raven.bu.edu (James Cameron) writes:

	   The problem is the server definition in the Xservers file.  If
	   it is not set up correctly, the X server will not start, and
	   therefore, XDM will not have anything to run on.

	   I don't think that his problem is tackling too many things,
	   though at first glance it might be.  The solution (as I found
	   out) was getting the proper line in the Xservers file.

I run my X server on a PC, xdm on a Sparcstation -- what should the
Xservers file look like for xdm to run properly? (I've tried omitting
it entirely, but I'm not sure that's correct.)
--
Internet: chas@uchicago.edu

BUGS
     There must be some, somewhere.	(From xmessage man page)

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) (05/09/91)

>Which are all my BIG errors?

IMHO, the biggest error you're making is using xdm at all.  If I'm
logging into a machine other than my own, chances are that I don't *want*
a full X session.  Often enough, I'm trying to debug some problem that
would prevent that session from coming up at all.  Worse yet, if I don't
maintain a .xsession file across every machine in creation, I get stuck
with whatever defaults the machine has, which could be something egregious
like mwm.

On a workstation, it's easy enough to log in and type "xinit".  On
an X terminal, it's easy enough to log in through the telnet session
and type ".xsession".

--

  Fly to the sky on GI-GI____________ and shout to
datri@convex.com

alfredo@cca.PUE.UDLAP.MX (Alfredo de Regil) (05/13/91)

Hi Xpeople:

[...]

* Alfredo De Regil Salinas                       Universidad de las Americas *
* Ingenieria de Proyectos                        Puebla,                     *
* Centro de Computo                              Mexico                      *
* E-mail:                                                                    *
* Bitnet address          is82576@udlapvms                 (Vax)             *
* Internet address        alfredo@udlapvms.pue.udlap.mx    (Vax)             *
*                         alfredo@cca.pue.udlap.mx         (Sun)             *