[comp.windows.x] Problem with building X11R4 on SunOS 4.1.1.

saifu@qcktrn.com (Saifu Angto) (05/09/91)

I have recently got a hold of X11R4 sources and would like to build it for
Sun SPARCstation.  I have succesfully built a version for SunOS 4.0.3.
However, I have not been able to succesfully build the SunOS 4.1.1 version.

Error message :
making ddx/sun
make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `sundev/cg6reg.h'

Apparently, there is a file 'cg6reg.h' in /usr/include/sundev on SunOS 4.0.3,
but there is not one on SunOS 4.1.1.  Is there a work around for this or
maybe I did not setup correctly before I started the build ?

I'll very much appreciate your attentions since even though I have been using
X11R4 for a while, this is the first time I am trying to build it.

  Saifu Angto                                           Quickturn Systems, Inc.
  Systems Administrator                                 Mountain View, CA 94043
  uucp : uunet!qcktrn!saifu                             (415) 967-3300
  Internet : saifu@qcktrn.com                           (415) 967-3199 fax

mouse@lightning.mcrcim.mcgill.EDU (der Mouse) (05/09/91)

> I have recently got a hold of X11R4 sources and would like to build
> it for Sun SPARCstation.  I have succesfully built a version for
> SunOS 4.0.3.  However, I have not been able to succesfully build the
> SunOS 4.1.1 version.

> making ddx/sun
> make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `sundev/cg6reg.h'

Good heavens, the FAQ can't have expired *that* fast everywhere!  It
was posted only four days ago.

In any case, item 83 addresses just this problem:

Subject:  83)*  What are these problems compiling X11R4 on SunOS 4.1.1?

	Sun omitted <sundev/cg6reg.h> from SunOS 4.1.1. You can optimally copy
the file from a machine running 4.1.0; or remove the #include from sunCG6C.c
and replace it with the line
	#define CG6_VADDR_COLOR   0x70016000

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

saifu@qcktrn.com (Saifu Angto) (05/10/91)

Thanks to everybody who responded to my posting.  I was able to build X11R4
with no problem after I got the sundev/cg6reg.h file.  The reason that I
did not know this problem was posted FAG is that I had just started getting
Usenet news feed a few days ago.

By the way, is there any way or mailing list so that I can get FAQ on X windows
regularly ?

  Saifu Angto                                           Quickturn Systems, Inc.
  Systems Administrator                                 Mountain View, CA 94043
  uucp : uunet!qcktrn!saifu                             (415) 967-3300
  Internet : saifu@qcktrn.com                           (415) 967-3199 fax
>regularly ?

It is posted in comp.windows.x at the beginning of every month.

- ron

jarober@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (DE Robertson james an 740-9172) (05/11/91)

zinnato@nadc.nadc.navy.MIL writes:

>>By the way, is there any way or mailing list so that I can get FAQ on X windows
>>regularly ?

>It is posted in comp.windows.x at the beginning of every month.

I almost hate to ask this, but where can I find a copy of cg6reg.h ? I need
it to compile X11R4 as well. Thanks !

Jim Robertson
jarober@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu

kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov (Kaleb Keithley) (05/11/91)

In article jarober@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu (DE Robertson james an 740-9172) writes:

>I almost hate to ask this, but where can I find a copy of cg6reg.h ? I need
>it to compile X11R4 as well. Thanks !
>
>Jim Robertson
>jarober@aplcen.apl.jhu.edu

Don't do it.  cg6reg.h is vastly different between SunOS 4.1 and SunOS 4.1.1.
And Sun had a reason for not putting cg6reg.h into 4.1.1.  Yes, it's a
stupid marketing drone type reason, but what can we do about Suns' marketing
department?

The FAQ is misleading, if not outright wrong.  Delete the #include <cg6reg.h>
and add
#define CG6_VADDR_COLOR   0x70016000

That's all it takes.  That's the only thing cg6reg.h has in it that is
needed to build the server.

--
Kaleb Keithley                        kaleb@thyme.jpl.nasa.gov

Meep Meep                             Roadrunner
Veep veep                             Quayle

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (05/13/91)

In article <5@qcktrn.qcktrn.com> saifu@qcktrn.com (Saifu Angto) writes:
>I have recently got a hold of X11R4 sources and would like to build it for
>Sun SPARCstation.  I have succesfully built a version for SunOS 4.0.3.
>However, I have not been able to succesfully build the SunOS 4.1.1 version.
>
>Error message :
>making ddx/sun
>make: Fatal error: Don't know how to make target `sundev/cg6reg.h'

Here is a fix I got from a friend.  It works for me
*** tmp.c       Mon May 13 10:34:23 1991
--- sunCG6C.c   Mon Apr  1 09:06:58 1991
***************
*** 44,49 ****
--- 44,53 ----
  #ifdef FBTYPE_SUNFAST_COLOR
  #include    <sys/mman.h>
  #include    <pixrect/memreg.h>
+ /* Taken out for sparc station 2
+ #include    <sundev/cg6reg.h>
+ */
+ #define CG6_VADDR_COLOR 0x70016000
  #include    "colormap.h"
  #include    "colormapst.h"
  #include    "resource.h"

| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 | FAX (617)890-8694         | bill@polygen.com            |