[comp.windows.x] Interface toolboxes

rob@epochsys.UUCP (Rob Kenna) (04/20/91)

I am investigating the use of GUI development environments/tools with
the following requirements:

1) Quick development time.

2) Development on Sun platforms

3) Target all major unix platforms (sun, hp, dec, IBM, mips...) running X11.

4) Development one set of sources but run with motif and open-look
(and possibly others)

5) The "look-and-feel" could be just motif or just open-look in all settings.
Alternatively it could be a chameleon and be motif-like in motif
environments and open-look like in open-look environments.

6) Speed of operation is NOT paramount, though it must not be a dog.

7) In trade for running under differant window managers I wouldn't need to
use all the features of a particular window-manager; a subset representing a
resonable intersection should suffice.

I realize that this is quite a shopping list, but have been encouraged by
a spate of recent product offerings (XVT, HOOP, etc...).  Any experience
and or knowledge of products meeting the above laundry-list of requirements
would be appreciated. THanks

- rob

---
Robert Kenna, Epoch Systems Inc. (508) 836-4711 x325 (voice)
                                 (508) 836-4884        (fax)
8 Technology Drive, Westboro, MA 01581-1796
rkenna@epoch.com,uunet!epochsys!rkenna

david@ap542.uucp (05/13/91)

In article <1065@epochsys.UUCP> rob@epochsys.UUCP (Rob Kenna) writes:
>I am investigating the use of GUI development environments/tools with
>the following requirements:

Try Wcl, the Widget Creation Library, available as Wcl1.05.tar.Z from
the archive server nearest you.

>1) Quick development time.

Saved me time, that's the only reason it exists.

>2) Development on Sun platforms

That's what I originally used, and still test on.

>3) Target all major unix platforms (sun, hp, dec, IBM, mips...) running X11.

Seems to work pretty well on most everything, but it does usually
require a recent Xt (release 4 if at all possible is highly recommended,
but I've usually used older versions too).  I know it runs on all
of the above.

>4) Development one set of sources but run with motif and open-look
>(and possibly others)

I've been told be someone in the OLIT development group at AT&T
that they do exactly this: they develop an application, and
then they have two distinct sets of application resource files:
one describes a Motif interface, the other an Open-Look interface.

I.e., the C or C++ or whatever sources *can* with careful programming
be widget set independent (I don't even worry about it, and tend to
have about 5% of my code with any widget set specific stuff at all).

>5) The "look-and-feel" could be just motif or just open-look in all settings.
>Alternatively it could be a chameleon and be motif-like in motif
>environments and open-look like in open-look environments.

It can all be done in the resource files.

>6) Speed of operation is NOT paramount, though it must not be a dog.

You may well find your application starts up FASTER because the creation
of the widgets is optimized.  Sure, you can optimize the ordering of
calls to XtCreate... yourself, but its a pain, and you won't ;^)

>I realize that this is quite a shopping list, ...

Nah, no problem...

David E. Smyth
Still struggling with network communication, but its getting better...
david@ap542.uucp  -or-  david%ap542@ztivax.siemens.com