[net.news] Someone's killing messages

ksl@hou2e.UUCP (a hacker) (04/30/86)

(Don't know if this is the right group to post to-- seems appropiate)

>From: Unknown@hplabs.UUCP
>Newsgroups: net.games.hack
>Subject: Response to <311@ll-xn.ARPA> <989@well.UUCP>
>Date: Mon, 28-Apr-86 13:31:42 EDT

Here, we have TONS of such messages around ALL with the same (basic)
format:

Subject:  Responce to ...

WHY AND WHO IS DOING THIS?  It seems that before this happened
and it was found that some system was pretending to be another
system, and then killed all the messages.

hou2e!ksl

chuq@sun.UUCP (05/02/86)

> Subject:  Responce to ...
>
> WHY AND WHO IS DOING THIS?  It seems that before this happened
> and it was found that some system was pretending to be another
> system, and then killed all the messages.

I dropped a note to then hplabs people, and they said it was an internal
machine with a software failure.  No messages are being killed (not nice
to jump to conclusion.....) and they say it has been fixed.

chuq
--
:From the lofty realms of Castle Plaid:          Chuq Von Rospach
chuq%plaid@sun.COM	FidoNet: 125/84		 CompuServe: 73317,635

The first rule of magic is simple. Don't waste your time waving your hands
and hoping when a rock or a club will do -- McCloctnik the Lucid

romain@pyrnj.UUCP (05/03/86)

By no means has this been thoroughly tested.  It may not have desired
effect.  Also, I don't think expire can delete spurious articles if you
rebuild it with this patch.  vnews and readnews should skip over bad
articles, though, and rnews should refuse to install the articles in
the first place.  I'm not a news hacker!

*** header.c.ORG	Fri Jun  7 00:15:59 1985
--- header.c	Fri May  2 22:39:58 1986
***************
*** 79,85
  		return NULL;
  #endif /* OLD */

! strip:	/* strip off sys! from front of path. */
  	if (strncmp(FULLSYSNAME, hp->path, (len = strlen(FULLSYSNAME))) == 0
  		&& index(NETCHRS, hp->path[len]))
  		(void) strcpy(hp->path, &(hp->path[len+1]));

--- 79,90 -----
  		return NULL;
  #endif /* OLD */

! strip:
! 	/*  romain -- kill bad articles	*/
! 	if (checkid(hp->ident) == -1)
! 		return NULL;
!
! 	/* strip off sys! from front of path. */
  	if (strncmp(FULLSYSNAME, hp->path, (len = strlen(FULLSYSNAME))) == 0
  		&& index(NETCHRS, hp->path[len]))
  		(void) strcpy(hp->path, &(hp->path[len+1]));
***************
*** 768,771
  	if (c != EOF)
  		(void) ungetc(c, fp); /* push back first char of next header */
  	return buf;
  }

--- 773,793 -----
  	if (c != EOF)
  		(void) ungetc(c, fp); /* push back first char of next header */
  	return buf;
+ }
+
+ /*
+  *	to combat Unknown@hplabs.UUCP
+  */
+ checkid(ident)
+ char *ident;
+ {
+ 	register char *cp;
+ 	register gotid = 0;
+
+ 	for (cp = ident; *cp; cp++)	{
+ 		if (gotid)		/*  Yet more ID's???	*/
+ 			return (-1);
+ 		if (*cp == '>') gotid = 1;
+ 	}
+ 	return (0);
  }
--
Romain Kang, Pyramid Technology Corporation

US Mail:	10 Woodbridge Center Drive, Woodbridge, NJ  07095
Ma Bell:	(201) 750-2626
UUCPnet:	{allegra,cmcl2,pyramid,topaz}!pyrnj!romain

"Eggheads unite! You have nothing to lose but your yolks!" -Adlai Stevenson