[comp.windows.x] xplaces updates sought

lwv27@CAS.BITNET (Larry W. Virden ext. 2487) (05/14/91)

Has anyone made modifications to xplaces so that it recognizes
XView based programs?  Also, I am hoping to find modifications
that would enable me to merge xplaces output into an existing
startup script rather than replacing it.
--
Larry W. Virden                 UUCP: osu-cis!chemabs!lwv27
Same Mbox: BITNET: lwv27@cas    INET: lwv27%cas.BITNET@CUNYVM.CUNY.Edu

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (05/20/91)

In article <9105141107.AA27081@cas.org> lwv27@CAS.BITNET (Larry W. Virden ext. 2487) writes:
>Has anyone made modifications to xplaces so that it recognizes
>XView based programs?  Also, I am hoping to find modifications
>that would enable me to merge xplaces output into an existing
>startup script rather than replacing it.
xplaces (as well as xlsclients) I believe rely on the WM_COMMAND
property.  This tells a session manager how to restart a client, as well
as a startup script how to place the windows.  Since XView clients are
really shitty about setting correct window properties (they don't even
set the WM_CLASS property) it just won't work.  Talk to Sun about this.

+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 | FAX (617)890-8694         | bill@polygen.com            |
+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+

stein@rocksanne.wrc.xerox.com (Adam Stein) (05/22/91)

In article <1098@redford.UUCP> bill@redford.UUCP (Bill Poitras(X258)) writes:
>xplaces (as well as xlsclients) I believe rely on the WM_COMMAND
>property.  This tells a session manager how to restart a client, as well
>as a startup script how to place the windows.  Since XView clients are
>really shitty about setting correct window properties (they don't even
>set the WM_CLASS property) it just won't work.  Talk to Sun about this.

XView clients can update WM_COMMAND if sent WM_SAVE_YOURSELF.  When OpenLook
saves the screen layout, it sends a WM_SAVE_YOURSELF to every client and
then saves WM_COMMAND.

							Adam Stein
--
Adam Stein @ Xerox Corporation         Email: stein.wbst129@xerox.com