[comp.windows.x] Getting a complete dump of a partially obscured window.

preetham@ra.src.umd.edu (Preetham Gopalaswamy) (05/17/91)

Hi,
	I would like to get a X-window dump of a window which may not be
entirely on the display.  Actually the window is too large for the display,
but it needs to be dumped and sent to the printer in its entirety.  Is this
possible.  Backing store is set for the window.  I am running X11R4 on an
HP300 under HPUX7.0.   If there are any hacks possible to xwd, I am willing
to make them (if I only knew what to do).   If this is not possible to do
using xwd, what alternatives do I have ?
I would prefer possible solutions via e-mail to preetham@ra.src.umd.edu.
	I hope this is not one of those questions which have been asked and
answered on this group a millions times before.   I did check the FAQ list
and did not find an answer.
Thank you for all the help you will give me.

							Preetham Gopalaswamy

scott@statsci.UUCP (Scott Blachowicz) (05/17/91)

> Hi,
> 	I would like to get a X-window dump of a window which may not be
> entirely on the display.  Actually the window is too large for the display,
> but it needs to be dumped and sent to the printer in its entirety.  Is this
> possible.  Backing store is set for the window.  I am running X11R4 on an
> HP300 under HPUX7.0.   If there are any hacks possible to xwd, I am willing
> to make them (if I only knew what to do).   If this is not possible to do
> using xwd, what alternatives do I have ?
Speaking of xwd hacks...is there one floating around that would let me
run it, the locate opposite corners of a box on the display to the
bitmap dump of?

Thanx,
Scott Blachowicz    USPS:  Statistical Sciences, Inc    Voice: 206/283-8802
                           1700 Westlake Ave N, #500
                           Seattle, WA USA  98109
E-mail:  scott@statsci.com
..or..   uunet!statsci!scott
..or..   scott%statsci.uucp@coco.ms.washington.edu

melby@daffy.yk.Fujitsu.CO.JP (John B. Melby) (05/20/91)

>        I would like to get a X-window dump of a window which may not be
>entirely on the display.  Actually the window is too large for the display,
>but it needs to be dumped and sent to the printer in its entirety.

I have seen this question before, and it certainly seems to be FAQ material.
Since the contents of a window portion generally do not exist when the
window is not being displayed, the obvious answer is "move the window
around and merge several dumps."  Perhaps someone has another feasible
solution?

-----
John B. Melby
Fujitsu Limited, Machida, Japan
melby%yk.fujitsu.co.jp@fai.com

mrm@nss1.com (Michael R. Miller) (05/22/91)

In article <MELBY.91May20060643@daffy.yk.Fujitsu.CO.JP> melby@daffy.yk.Fujitsu.CO.JP (John B. Melby) writes:
>>        I would like to get a X-window dump of a window which may not be
>>entirely on the display.  Actually the window is too large for the display,
>>but it needs to be dumped and sent to the printer in its entirety.
>
>I have seen this question before, and it certainly seems to be FAQ material.
>Since the contents of a window portion generally do not exist when the
>window is not being displayed, the obvious answer is "move the window
>around and merge several dumps."  Perhaps someone has another feasible
>solution?

The method I've used to solve this is to copy the Window to a Pixmap.  This
should cause expose events to occur where necessary (IF I remember this
correctly).  Then obtain the XImage from the Pixmap.  You should have a
complete copy of what the server thinks ought to be in the window if the
screen was big enough.  This works on windows that are only partially
exposed due to window overlap too.

Michael R. Miller
uunet!xzaphod!michael

melby@daffy.yk.Fujitsu.CO.JP (John B. Melby) (05/23/91)

(on the subject of gronking the contents of a window that is not totally
 exposed....)

>The method I've used to solve this is to copy the Window to a Pixmap.  This
>should cause expose events to occur where necessary (if I remember this
>correctly) [....]

This should work if the source window supports GraphicsExpose events.
(I can't think of any way to find out whether the graphics exposure
operations are likely to have completed....)

-----