[comp.windows.x] Winterp, do *you* use it?

larry@mitra.mitra.com (Larry Williamson) (05/15/91)

Is winterp actually used by anyone? If you use it, how much do you
like it? how well does it compare to other packages.

I've been using DEC's VUIT for some months now and quite like it. VUIT
does not have an interpreter in it as winterp claims to have, which
sounds like a nice feature (is it actually very useful?).

I don't understand the uil war. VUIT uses uil, and I don't have any
problems with it. Uil is a bit slow at start up, and there are some
pecularities in how it handles some widgets (ie, scolled windows), but
it is otherwise not much of an issue. Our application is probably a
medium sized one (~90k lines of uil and ~200k of source that is
directly related to the display processes)

-Larry

connolly@convex.com (Dan Connolly) (05/17/91)

In article <LARRY.91May15155004@mitra.mitra.com> larry@mitra.mitra.com (Larry Williamson) writes:

>Is winterp actually used by anyone? If you use it, how much do you
>like it? how well does it compare to other packages.
>
>I've been using DEC's VUIT for some months now and quite like it. VUIT
>does not have an interpreter in it as winterp claims to have, which
>sounds like a nice feature (is it actually very useful?).

If this is going to become another political/religious war, count me
in with the Wcl camp. It's straigtforward, easy to use, easy to learn,
and it works. Richard hesketh is working on an interactive design tool
based on Wcl (Dirt!) but I've found that just editing the Wcl resource
file is quicker.

I introduced Wcl to a developer and a technical writer here at convex,
and in both cases, in two days they had working prototypes of the
interface they had in mind. Sold. Done deal. I'll buy it.

Thanks to David E. Smyth for a fine piece of software that makes my
job easier.

Dan

rhess@uunet.UU.NET (Richard L. Hess) (05/23/91)

Larry> Is winterp actually used by anyone?  If you use it, how much do you
Larry> like it?

  I've been using WINTERP for over 8 months now and it's a fantastic rapid
prototyping environment for Motif.  I've also found it to be a great way to
experiment with the various widgets in the Motif toolkit.

  It can also serve as a platform for developing "custom" tools.  For example,
I've built a "menu server" on top of WINTERP which allows the user to create
menu's in a "menu cache" and then pop them up when needed by calling the
server with the menu's "key".  This supports the creation of a collection of
re-usable menus for such things as command menus in GNU emacs or menu driven
shell scripts.  The "menu server" currently supports interfaces from GNU Emacs
and Perl (note: any menu in the server can be accessed by either interface as
long as you know the menu's "key").

Dick...

WHO:	Richard Hess			CORP:	Consilium
TITLE:	Staff Engineer			VOICE:	[415] 691-6342
    [ X-SWAT Team:  Special Projects ]	USNAIL:	640 Clyde Court
UUCP:	...!uunet!cimshop!rhess			Mountain View, CA 94043