[comp.windows.x] color maps in 24bit X?

waung@rscene.hac.com (Franklin Waung) (05/23/91)

...---... ...---... ...---...

HHHHHHHEEEEEEELLLLLLLLLPPPPPPPPPPPP!    on 24bit X.

Anyone knows of a way to swap color maps on a 24 bit color system?

We are running a Sun4 Sparc Station with a 24bit color display
with "true color, 24bit depth" as its default visual.

Much appreciation in advance.

-Franklin Waung
** To flow or not to flow, that is the question.                   **

rthomson@mesa.dsd.es.com (Rich Thomson) (05/24/91)

In article <15024@hacgate.UUCP>
	waung@rscene.hac.com (Franklin Waung) writes:
>Anyone knows of a way to swap color maps on a 24 bit color system?
>
>We are running a Sun4 Sparc Station with a 24bit color display
>with "true color, 24bit depth" as its default visual.

First, I'm not sure what you mean by "swap color maps".  Besides, you
can't change the colormap of a TrueColor visual because the visual has
a read-only colormap.

Look at what other visuals are supported for the server.  DirectColor
is the read-write equivalent of TrueColor.  You'll have to use
XMatchVisualInfo (or equivalent) to determine a visual class with a
writable colormap for the window when you create it.  You may also
have to create your own colormap (depends on your environment and
server).

						-- Rich
--
  ``Read my MIPS -- no new VAXes!!'' -- George Bush after sniffing freon
	    Disclaimer: I speak for myself, except as noted.