[comp.windows.x] [xpert] Re: Picasso

adrianho@barkley.berkeley.edu (Adrian J Ho) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.230338.12549@ox.com> cflatter@zia.aoc.nrao.EDU (Chris Flatters) writes:
>Picasso is an experimental, graphical, DBMS front-end.  It works with
>and requires the POSTGRES system from UCB (POSTGRES is an extended
     ^^^^^^^^
>RDBMS with many of the features of object-oriented DMBSs).  Both Picasso
>and POSTGRES are available via anonymous ftp from postgres.berkeley.edu
>(sorry, I can't find the number).

That sounded kinda funny to me, since I was working with (struggling
with would be a better description 8-) a very early version of Picasso
over a year ago, and interfacing it with a process control program via
Allegro CL (I think -- me memory's failing).  The Picasso release
notes confirmed my suspicions:

					Included here are CLX, PCL,
PDS (a source management system for picasso), LIBPQ (an interface to
postgres), CLING (a lisp interface to Ingres QUEL), and SLING (a lisp
interface to Ingres SQL).

Take heart, folks, Picasso isn't just for Postgres.  8-)

Adrian Ho, EECS (pronounced "eeks!") Dept.		Phone: (415) 642-5563
UC Berkeley					adrianho@barkley.berkeley.edu