[comp.windows.x] Xview Applications in X or OpenWindows?

darken@seas.gwu.edu (05/21/91)

I've been trying to find out where I can run an Xview application.
What are its requirements? I have developed the application on a Sun4
but would like to be able to run it elsewhere over the net.
I tried running it from twm on a Sun, no problem. Of course it
will run from OpenWindows too. But when I tried to run it from
an HP, I got font errors. The program was running on a Sun4 but
displaying on an HP. Does anyone know if I can do this? If so, what
sort of errors should I be aware of? Thanks for your help.

--
  __
 /_/     __/      Rudy

lanni@edsews.eds.com (mike lanni) (05/22/91)

In article <3209@sparko.gwu.edu>, darken@seas.gwu.edu writes:
> I've been trying to find out where I can run an Xview application.
> What are its requirements? I have developed the application on a Sun4
> but would like to be able to run it elsewhere over the net.
> I tried running it from twm on a Sun, no problem. Of course it
> will run from OpenWindows too. But when I tried to run it from
> an HP, I got font errors. The program was running on a Sun4 but
> displaying on an HP. Does anyone know if I can do this? If so, what
> sort of errors should I be aware of? Thanks for your help.

Your font problem occurs because either your font path is incorrectly set
up and/or you are missing some fonts. I suspect the later because HP failed
to supplied some standard MIT fonts including all "lucida", "olcursor",
"olgl10", "olgl12", "olgl14", and "olgl19". The lucida fonts are normally
found in  75dpi and/or 100dpi whereas olg* are normally located in misc.

First check to see if these fonts are listed in "/usr/lib/X11/fonts/misc" and
"/usr/lib/X11/fonts/*/75dpi[100dpi]". If they aren't there, you have to obtain
the standard MIT bdf fonts. Check FAQ Subject 45 for MIT software and FAQ
Subject 32 for some "scf" font info.

If they are there, then it is probably your path.  To check the font path
currently being used by your HP server, type xset -q. Make sure that "misc"
and either "75dpi" and/or "100dpi" are listed in the Font Path. Look at FAQ
Subject 31.

Our problem here is not with HP but rather with DEC.  When running XView
applications (based on X11R4) and displaying them on a Dec (running X11R3),
I had to first add the above fonts but after that, the following error has
occurred:

    XView warning: xv_rop: can't handle drawables of different depth
    XView warning: xv_rop: xv_rop_internal failed
    X Error:  BadAtom
      Request Major code 17 ()
      Request Minor code 0
      ResourceID 0x7f0000
      Error Serial #383
      Current Serial #383

The application actually displays, but once an event occurs, it crashes with
the above message.

I posted this on the net but have not received any replies yet.

Good Luck.

Mike Lanni                                      email: lanni@eds.com
Electronic Data Systems                         voice: (313) 265-7019
750 Tower Drive
P.O. Box 7019
Troy, MI 48098-7019

mra@searchtech.com (Michael Almond) (05/23/91)

In article <3209@sparko.gwu.edu> darken@seas.gwu.edu () writes:
>The program was running on a Sun4 but
>displaying on an HP. Does anyone know if I can do this? If so, what
>sort of errors should I be aware of? Thanks for your help.

I believe XView applications require 'olwm'.  I'm not sure why your program
ran properlly under twm on the Sun.  We just purchased a Sparc 2 and I'm in
the process of compiling X11R4.

--
Michael R. Almond (Georgia Tech Alumnus)          mra@srchtec.uucp (registered)
search technology, inc.				            mra@searchtech.com

imp@solbourne.com (Warner Losh) (05/23/91)

In article <1991May22.185550.24688@searchtech.com> mra@searchtech.com
(Michael Almond) writes:
>I believe XView applications require 'olwm'.

This is not the case.  I run cm all the time on my Solbourne running
Xsolbourne and swm (which is a open look compliant window manager).  I
have also ran twm and tvtwm with cm.  The only thing that was missing
under *twm was the pushpin.  It didn't bother me because I just did a
f.delete on a window when I want to "unpin" it.

The biggest problem that I had was setting up the fonts.  Other
postings (the FAQ?) contain all the details on setting this up.

Warner
--
Warner Losh		imp@Solbourne.COM
I met a girl that sang the blues and I asked her for some happy news,

look@this.EBay.Sun.COM (Jim Bernstein) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May22.185550.24688@searchtech.com> mra@searchtech.com (Michael Almond) writes:
>I believe XView applications require 'olwm'.

Actually, any old ICCCCCCM compliant wm should work just fine
with Xview clients.  Has anyone seen a wm that doesn't?

%

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (05/25/91)

<
<I believe XView applications require 'olwm'.  I'm not sure why your program
<ran properlly under twm on the Sun.  We just purchased a Sparc 2 and I'm in
<the process of compiling X11R4.

No they do not.  XView applications will run just fine with any ICCCM
compliant window manager.  XView apps *do* require the OpenLook fonts.
And since vanilla X11r4 (such as the HP runs) does not install them,
this was the problem.

[Of course you get push-pins only with olwm, but so what?].
--
uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)