[comp.windows.x] BITFTP return mail

laub@Software.Mitel.COM (Boniface Lau) (05/07/91)

In article <7083@maroon.UUCP> kissane@motcid.UUCP (John G. Kissane) writes:
|ftp access is available to anyone with e-mail.
|Try sending a help request to
|...bitftp@pucc.bitnet
|or
|...uunet!pucc.PRINCETON.EDU!BITFTP

I was told that the cost of data transfer to/from UUNET are $24.27 U.S. per
MegaByte. That is way too expensive. I can accomplish the same thing in
half the price using CompuServe.

Is there a way to instruct BITFTP such that when it sends its replies they
would not go through UUNET? By that I mean asking BITFTP to reach me
via the old UUCP mechanism.

Thanks.
--
Boniface Lau    (613) 592-2122 ext. 3042    laub@Software.Mitel.COM
Mitel Corp.  				    ...uunet!mitel!spock!laub

stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) (05/25/91)

In article <7843@laub> laub@Software.Mitel.COM (Boniface Lau) writes:
>I was told that the cost of data transfer to/from UUNET are $24.27 U.S. per
>MegaByte. That is way too expensive. I can accomplish the same thing in
>half the price using CompuServe.

I was told uunet had only one price for any speed connection, so if
$24.27/Meg costs too much, do you have a 9600 baud modem?  If you don't
buy one at least that fast, if you do step up to 19.2 (anything faster
is too much money for me to justify, but mabie you have deeper pockets
for long range expences then I do...).

[...]
--
           stripes@eng.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like