[comp.windows.x] OpenWindows font question

6600bori@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Boris Burtin) (05/23/91)

I've been searching through the OpenWindows 2 documentation, and I can't
find any way to change the size of the standard font (default font used by
the applications).  I know it's easy to do in SunView, so it must be
possible.  Can someone help me out?

	- Boris Burtin
	(6600bori@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu)

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (05/25/91)

In article <11499@hub.ucsb.edu> 6600bori@ucsbuxa.ucsb.edu (Boris Burtin) writes:
>I've been searching through the OpenWindows 2 documentation, and I can't
>find any way to change the size of the standard font (default font used by
>the applications).  I know it's easy to do in SunView, so it must be
>possible.  Can someone help me out?

There is no seperate mechanism for specifying font size under X, the size
is part of the font name.   To set the 'default' font you must set resources
in your .Xdefaults file.  The resources you need to set are different for
different applications.

For application written using the XView library the resource is 'Font.Name'.
[Thus you can easily set a default font for all XView apps].
For instance, assuming that short font name aliases are available, the
following will make 18 point Lucida the default XView font:
Font.Name: lucidasan-typewriter-18

[If the short aliases are not available you will have to use the great
long name with lots of '*'s in it]

[Examples of XView apps include cmdtool/shelltool, cm, and dbxtool].
--
uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)

tim@MDI.COM (Tim Rosmus) (05/27/91)

How bout just using the "-Wx [small | medium | large]" option of XView.
--
 Internet:                 <tim@MDI.COM>   |     Tim Rosmus (Sys Analyst)
 ...uw-beaver!sunup------\                 |  Motorola - Mobile Data Division