[comp.windows.x] ...bitmaps...

dy03+@andrew.cmu.edu (David Yee) (04/06/90)

I have two questions about bitmaps:

1) Can Motif handle Fax Group Format in bitmap form?
2) Does it also handle postscript?

If so, what routines do I need to call.

This is for my supervisor,
all help is appreciated.

dy03+@andrew.cmu.edu

Brad.Myers@BAM.MACH.CS.CMU.EDU (10/19/90)

Can someone tell me an easy way to change the size of an X bitmap?
I have a bitmap created using the standard bitmap program which is
80x80, but the picture is in the upper left corner, so I want to shrink the
bitmap, to say 23x42.  The standard bitmap program ignores the WIDTHxHEIGHT
parameter if a bitmap is supplied.  Is there some other utility that will do
this?  I am sure if I edit the text file representation that I will do it wrong.
Thanks!
Brad Myers
bam@cs.cmu.edu

mouse@LARRY.MCRCIM.MCGILL.EDU (10/20/90)

> Can someone tell me an easy way to change the size of an X bitmap?
> I have a bitmap created using the standard bitmap program which is
> 80x80, but the picture is in the upper left corner, so I want to
> shrink the bitmap, to say 23x42.

% < oldfile.xbm xbmtopbm | pnmcut 0 0 23 42 | pbmtoxbm > newfile.xbm

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

pfeiffer@deva.irit.fr (Daniel Pfeiffer) (05/03/91)

All those different bitmap formats!!!
xwd creates one format, bitmap another, then there are TIFF files,
Macpaint files and who knows what else...

Are there any utilities to convert one format to another, especially
xwd and Macpaint to TIFF?  Please don't send any pointers to ftp
sites, I can't access them.

--
-- Daniel Pfeiffer				<pfeiffer@cix.cict.fr>
-- Tolosa (Toulouse), Midi-Pyrenees, Europe	<pfeiffer@irit.fr>

allbery@NCoast.ORG (Brandon S. Allbery KB8JRR/AA) (05/05/91)

As quoted from <1509@irit.irit.fr> by pfeiffer@deva.irit.fr (Daniel Pfeiffer):
+---------------
| Are there any utilities to convert one format to another, especially
| xwd and Macpaint to TIFF?  Please don't send any pointers to ftp
| sites, I can't access them.
+---------------

Try the pbm utilities from comp.sources.unix.  (The latest version may have
been sent to c.s.misc due to delays in c.s.unix.)  Since you don't have FTP
access, try the UUNET 1-900 dialup or osu-cis.

++Brandon
--
Me: Brandon S. Allbery			  Ham: KB8JRR/AA  10m,6m,2m,220,440,1.2
Internet: allbery@NCoast.ORG		       (restricted HF at present)

rotberg@dms.UUCP (Ed Rotberg) (05/06/91)

From article <1509@irit.irit.fr>, by pfeiffer@deva.irit.fr (Daniel Pfeiffer):

> All those different bitmap formats!!!
> xwd creates one format, bitmap another, then there are TIFF files,
> Macpaint files and who knows what else...
> Are there any utilities to convert one format to another, especially
> xwd and Macpaint to TIFF?  Please don't send any pointers to ftp
> sites, I can't access them.

Although it is not generally available yet, I have been test a program called
deBabelizer for quite sometime now.  It not only will convert back and forth
between many recognized Mac formats, but also will convert freely between
MANY graphic formats used on other systems (IBM PCs, Suns, Amigas, Atari STs,
Apple IIs, C-64s, EPSF, TIFF, GIFF, and MANY MORE...).  The best part about
the way the conversions are done is that each format is handled by an external
pair of input/output moudles, making the program easliy extensible to to other
formats and allowing update to format readers/writers without having to
upgrade the entire program - i.e. at lower cost.  In addition to this,
the program does tons of processing such as intelligent color reduction to
any number of colors, remapping to specific palletes, creating "super palletes"
from multiple separate grphics files, removing background colors (useful when
working with digitized images), scaling, rotating, trimming, color printing,
conversion of separate R, G, & B black and white images into a single color
image, batch processing, a very advanced scripting option which, in
conjunction with batch processing allows you to convert and process a large
group of files effortlesly, and a TON of other features.

It is currently being seeded in beta form to game developers (obvious reasons)
and site licences are available.  The program should be avaiable to the
consumer market later this year and I believe the price will be under $200.
If you do any significant work with graphics/scanning/conversion, this program
is a MUST HAVE.

It will be published by a company in Marin called Equilibrium.

	 - Ed Rotberg -

kissane@motcid.UUCP (John G. Kissane) (05/07/91)

ftp access is available to anyone with e-mail.
Try sending a help request to
...bitftp@pucc.bitnet
or
...uunet!pucc.PRINCETON.EDU!BITFTP

--
John Kissane,					Mahon Industrial Estate,
Motorola Ireland Ltd.				Blackrock, Cork, Ireland.

mouse@lightning.mcrcim.mcgill.EDU (der Mouse) (05/08/91)

> ftp access is available to anyone with e-mail.
> Try sending a help request to
> ...bitftp@pucc.bitnet
> or
> ...uunet!pucc.PRINCETON.EDU!BITFTP

There are UUCP sites that block mail to (or, presumably, from)
anonymous-ftp-by-mail addresses as a matter of policy; I know of at
least one in our immediate (electronic) neighborhood.  The problem is
that it's very easy for a naive user to ask for 60Mb of stuff without
realizing that it has to flow through a 2400bps link (say), which tends
to, ah, impair performance for everyone else.  To say nothing of
running up phone bills, if any call along the path is a pay call.

It is true that the site I mentioned that I know is blocking such
things does have a mechanism in place for allowing users who are
trusted to not abuse the service to get through.  I don't know whether
other such sites do; I would hope so.

So while there is such a service available, it may not be possible to
get through, or it may be possible but not easy....

stan@dnlunx.pttrnl.nl (Stan van de Burgt) (05/22/91)

pfeiffer@deva.irit.fr (Daniel Pfeiffer) writes:

>All those different bitmap formats!!!
>xwd creates one format, bitmap another, then there are TIFF files,
>Macpaint files and who knows what else...

>Are there any utilities to convert one format to another, especially
>xwd and Macpaint to TIFF?  Please don't send any pointers to ftp
>sites, I can't access them.

A couple of weeks ago, I asked a similar question. From the replies I
got, I think the "xbitmap" utility seems to convert from X bitmaps (not xwd!)
to PICT. A far better solution is the Extended Portable Bitmap Toolkit
package which converts to and from various bitmap formats. Below I included
some pieces of the documentation.

I'd like to thank the following people for their replies:

Eric Nieuwland  nieuwlan@serc.nl
Tasuki Hirata   sukes@eng.umd.edu
                davide@dcs.qmw.ac.UK
Wayne           folta@cs.umd.edu

                  Extended Portable Bitmap Toolkit
                      Distribution of 22nov89
                   Previous distribution 13sep89

(The Package consists of a) number of programs for converting various
image formats to and from portable formats; plus some tools for
manipulating the portable formats.  The package is broken up into four
parts (five parts if you count this one, the zeroth part).  First is PBM,
for bitmaps (1 bit per pixel).  Then there is PGM, for grayscale images.
Next is PPM, for full-color images.  Last, there is PNM, which does
content-independent manipulations on any of the three formats.

PBM handles the following formats:

    Sun icon file				reading	writing
    Sun raster file				reading	writing
    X10 and X11 bitmap file			reading	writing
    MacPaint					reading	writing
    CMU window manager format			reading	writing
    MGR format					reading	writing
    Group 3 FAX					reading	writing
    X11 window dump file			reading	writing
    X10 window dump file			reading
    Xerox doodle brushes			reading
    GEM .img format				reading
    PC paintbrush (.pcx) format			reading
    PICT					reading
    ASCII graphics					writing
    HP LaserJet format					writing
    GraphOn graphics					writing
    BBN BitGraph graphics				writing
    Printronix format					writing

PGM handles the following formats:

    TIFF					reading
    Usenix FaceSaver file			reading
    HIPS					reading
    FITS					reading	writing
    PostScript "image" data			reading
    raw grayscale bytes				reading
    Encapsulated PostScript				writing

PPM handles the following formats:

    color Sun raster file			reading	writing
    GIF						reading	writing
    Amiga IFF ILBM				reading	writing
    color X11 window dump file			reading	writing
    color X10 window dump file			reading
    MTV ray-tracer output			reading
    QRT ray-tracer output			reading
    TrueVision Targa file			reading
    Img-whatnot file				reading
    color Encapsulated PostScript			writing

--
   S.P. van de Burgt                       PTT Research, Neher Labs
                                           PO Box 421, Leidschendam

tucker@smsc.sony.com (Tim Tucker 817) (05/28/91)

>>> I'm looking for interesting bitmaps to use for backgrounds on a monochrome
>>> system.  I already have access to the ones on decwrl, which are dated 1988.
>>> i would be particulary interested any good Nagels (I already have kristen
>>> and peidmont).  Ftp is ok.
>>> --
>>> Larry Blair   lmb@sat.com   {apple,decwrl}!sat!lmb
>>
>>I hope everyone knows that making and distributing electronic reproductions
>>of copyright protected works of art is illegal.  If you really like the pics,
>>why not go and buy them?
>>
>>Tim
>>tucker@smsc.Sony.COM
>
>There is a "fair use" clause in copyright laws.  It is NOT strictly
>illegal to make reproductions, but one must be careful how one
>distributes them.
>--
>Philip J. Schneider			| pjs@atd.dec.com
>DEC Advanced Technology Development	| decwrl!pjs
>100 Hamilton Avenue			| (415)853-6538
>Palo Alto, CA  94301			|

The "fair use" in copyright laws applies to personal use only.  If you own a
book, you can xerox the pages for your own use, but you can't start giving
those copies away to others.  That is not "fair use".

Distributing reproductions without the written permission of the publisher is
very illegal.  That is exactly what the copyright says (just checked).  In
the case of the Internet, DEC is distributing these copies world wide.  There
is no "careful" legal way to do it.

I'm no legal expert, but this one is interesting.  My guess is that Mirage
Editions will be "amused" that a big fat and rich corporation is distributing
unlimited copies of their copyright protected works without permission.  I
intend to call them and the legal authorities and find out.  Will post the
results to the net.  It should be entertaining :-).

Tim
tucker@smsc.Sony.COM