[comp.windows.x] PHIGS and X

andrew@sparky.uwaterloo.ca (Andrew MacLean) (05/28/91)

Hello X World!

We are currently developing an X windows application on a Sun Sparc 1+,
running Openwindows. We also have the Sun PHIGS package including the
PHIGS-Plus extensions, and are interested in using the PHIGS libraries
within the X windows environment.

We have heard of a software package, called PEX (I believe from MIT)
that allows us to create a PHIGS workstation in an X window, rather than
the standard sunview window.

Does anyone have any information on PEX, and the method by which it interfaces
to X windows. Also, does anyone have any information on how we can get a copy
of the software and manuals, and maybe even some example demo programs.

Thanks in advance
--
Andrew MacLean
Systems Design Engineering

rthomson@mesa.dsd.es.com (Rich Thomson) (05/28/91)

In article <1991May28.023248.4436@watserv1.waterloo.edu>
	andrew@sparky.uwaterloo.ca (Andrew MacLean) writes:
>[... we] are interested in using the PHIGS libraries
>within the X windows environment.
>
>Does anyone have any information on PEX, and the method by which it interfaces
>to X windows.

You have two workstation types available under PEX: X drawable and X
tool.  The X drawable workstation type is for X-literate programs that
process X style events and input.  The X tool workstation type
utilizes the PHIGS Monitor, a separate process that handles X event
processing and manages PHIGS style input.

>Also, does anyone have any information on how we can get a copy
>of the software and manuals, and maybe even some example demo programs.

The PEX software will be on the X11 R5 distribution in the form of an
implementation for 8-bit pseudocolor visuals.  Other vendors will have
implementations available for their platforms that are optimized for
their hardware.  We are such a vendor and provide a high-performance
PEX implementation for 24-bit TrueColor and DirectColor visual
classes.  The PEX-SI (Sample Implementation) comes with a reference
manual in the form of man pages for the PHIGS/PHIGS-PLUS functions.

						-- Rich
--
  ``Read my MIPS -- no new VAXes!!'' -- George Bush after sniffing freon
	    Disclaimer: I speak for myself, except as noted.