[net.news] Is the net falling apart? 8-)

In article <13729@ucbvax.BERKELEY.EDU> weemba@brahms.UUCP (Matthew P. Wiener) writes:
>First there was Unknown@hplabs.  Now I see an occasional Unknown@decwrl
>or even just Unknown.  And articles appear two or three or four or even
>*five* times duplicated.  And the latest is ridiculous.  Two to two dozen
>week old articles show up all of a sudden in a newsgroup.  Yikes!
>
>ucbvax!brahms!weemba	Matthew P Wiener/UCB Math Dept/Berkeley CA 94720

No, this is just an organic netwide response of usenet against the resurgence
of the net.bizzaroids:

Step 1:	The net.software will echo all the bizzaroid artices back at theirs
	originators, probably in triplicate...

Step 2:	The net.hardware will wedge in local loopback mode, such that they
	will see only their own postings...

Step 3:	The net.terminals will revolt and selectivly disable their 'n' keys,
	perhaps substituting 'M'...

	.... and everyone else will live happily ever after ....

In a more serious vein, I wish those people at hplabs would quit experimenting
with new software on net time - my spool directory is laced with bogus articles
that they've neither canceled or apologized for.
--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr

jimb@ism780.UUCP (05/14/86)

>Apparently hplabs and other hp sites have been experimenting with some
>new "notes" software.  As far as I know, hplabs is the only backbone site
>running notes.  Notes is so different from news (especially for followups)
>that I'm surprised it works as well as it does.  If I were a net.god I'd
>ban notes from the net.
>--
>- Joe Buck      {ihnp4!pesnta,oliveb}!epimass!jbuck

Ack!  I find notes the easiest & most convenient net.reading system
to use.

	    -- Jim Brunet
	    ihnp4/ima/ISM780