[comp.windows.x] air traffic control?

fgreco@govt.shearson.COM (Frank Greco) (05/24/91)

) We are trying to bring up an Air Traffic Control display on
) an X window terminal and there seems to be some problems.

	[insert-favorite-deity-here] help us all!

	Frank G.

jpc@fct.unl.pt (Jose Pina Coelho) (05/27/91)

In article <9105241440.AA25083@fis1.shearson.com>
fgreco@govt.shearson.COM (Frank Greco) writes:
>   ) We are trying to bring up an Air Traffic Control display on
>   ) an X window terminal and there seems to be some problems.
>
>	   [insert-favorite-deity-here] help us all!

Forget about the favourite, just insert them all.

The planes are going to start crashing by the dozen each hour.

As long as X can be crashed by a stray client (though it needs no
client to crash) it cannot be used for applications where safety is
considered.
Of course, in a simulator would be O.K.

Attention ANA76, VAR89, TYD457: Lookout for each other, the shape
extension is gone and we can't tell you appart.

[General Broadcast] - Everybody: the server has gone down and we need
5 minutes to get it and the ATC running...  Trty not to crash.

--
Jose Pedro T. Pina Coelho   | BITNET/Internet: jpc@fct.unl.pt
Rua Jau N 1, 2 Dto          | UUCP: ...!mcsun!unl!jpc

- If all men were brothers, would you let one marry your sister ?

erwin@trwacs.UUCP (Harry Erwin) (05/28/91)

jpc@fct.unl.pt (Jose Pina Coelho) writes:

>In article <9105241440.AA25083@fis1.shearson.com>
>fgreco@govt.shearson.COM (Frank Greco) writes:
>>   ) We are trying to bring up an Air Traffic Control display on
>>   ) an X window terminal and there seems to be some problems.
>>
>>	   [insert-favorite-deity-here] help us all!

>Forget about the favourite, just insert them all.

>The planes are going to start crashing by the dozen each hour.

>As long as X can be crashed by a stray client (though it needs no
>client to crash) it cannot be used for applications where safety is
>considered.
>Of course, in a simulator would be O.K.

>Attention ANA76, VAR89, TYD457: Lookout for each other, the shape
>extension is gone and we can't tell you appart.

>[General Broadcast] - Everybody: the server has gone down and we need
>5 minutes to get it and the ATC running...  Trty not to crash.

These concerns are real. Air Traffic Control has to be man-rated,
or at least it has to avoid degrading safety. I work in this area,
and X performance (as well as reliability) is not yet up to the
requirement.

   Harry Erwin
   erwin@trwacs.fp.trw.com

--
Harry Erwin
Internet: erwin@trwacs.fp.trw.com

rgalek@faatcrl.UUCP (rgalek) (05/30/91)

erwin@trwacs.UUCP (Harry Erwin) writes:

>These concerns are real. Air Traffic Control has to be man-rated,
>or at least it has to avoid degrading safety. I work in this area,
>and X performance (as well as reliability) is not yet up to the
>requirement.

>   Harry Erwin
>   erwin@trwacs.fp.trw.com

Would you care to be more specific about the exact ATC requirements the X
performance and reliability are not up to? Also, does the present NAS system
then meet these requirements in your opinion?

						Richard Aleksandr