[comp.windows.x] X audio editor?

jwz@lucid.com (Jamie Zawinski) (05/30/91)

Is there an X application for manipulating sound files (any format) other
than the stunningly lame x_soundtool that sun ships in /usr/demo/sound/?
Any pointers apreciated.

		-- Jamie <jwz@lucid.com>

lance@motcsd.csd.mot.com (lance.norskog) (05/31/91)

jwz@lucid.com (Jamie Zawinski) writes:

>Is there an X application for manipulating sound files (any format) other
>than the stunningly lame x_soundtool that sun ships in /usr/demo/sound/?
>Any pointers apreciated.

>		-- Jamie <jwz@lucid.com>

On ponder.csci.unt.edu in pub/mixview, you can get the MixView
sound sample processor.  It's tres slick: cut&paste, zoom,
plus lots of analog filter implementations.  It's by two
guys at Columbia, contact doug@woof.columbia.edu for details.
It has ifdefs for the Sparc & the NeXT, and can play & record
from menu options.

I've brought this one up under Roell's 386 stuff, and hacked
up Sound Blaster conversion tools.  I have to cart files
back&forth from DOS to play them, though...

Lance

iansmith@dali.cc.gatech.edu (Ian Smith) (05/31/91)

In article <JWZ.91May29144523@thalidomide.lucid.com>, jwz@lucid.com
(Jamie Zawinski) writes:
|> Is there an X application for manipulating sound files (any format)
other
|> than the stunningly lame x_soundtool that sun ships in
/usr/demo/sound/?
|> Any pointers apreciated.
|>
|> 		-- Jamie <jwz@lucid.com>
I have written an X audio widget that includes some actions for doing
simple manipulations like cut/paste to/from same/other soundwidgets
and to xterms.  I also have some hooks for porting and doing sound
manipulations, like reverb, reversals, etc.
If there's interest, I'll post.
ian
--
"Daddy what's regret?"
"Well son, all I can say is its always better to regret something you