[net.news] Desire extra options for vnews/checknews

rcodi@yabbie.oz (Ian Donaldson) (05/16/86)

I am running news V2.10.3, and would like to see the following
options added to the system:

1: a "B" command for vnews and readnews, that marks an article
   as "boring", and causes all followups to be suppressed
   from the "y/n" answering sequences.

   If you didn't like the original article, then there's obviously no
   sense in reading the followups (in most cases).  I'm not suggesting
   that the "n" response to an article should be used to mark it boring,
   but a totally new command instead.

   To implement this could be a bit tricky.  There is a "References:" field
   in the header that could do as a start.  You would need to have another
   file in each users' home directory (say, "~/.boringnews"), that contains
   the article ID's that are boring.  When checknews/readnews/vnews
   checks your .newsrc file, it would also need to check the .boringnews
   file to reject display of all articles that reference artcle numbers
   in the .boringnews file.

   The .boringnews file would be of similar structure to the history file,
   and would need to have article numbers automatically "expired" after
   a certain time (say 3 weeks), so that it doesn't end up growing.

2: a way of "checknews" reporting that there is important LOCAL news
   rather than just news.

   It could say:

	"There is local news."    - if there is ANY local news
   or:
	"There is network news."  - if there is ANY news at all

   How often have you posted news to your machine that people have not
   read because "Oh gee, I just haven't got time to wade through all
   the network news today", resulting in your important local news not
   being read until too late.

   You could even make it smart:

	"There is a bit of local news."
	"There is some very important local news."
	"There is a lot of local news."
	"There is humungous amount of network news."

    Of course, adding these features would tend to slow down
    checknews, as it has to look around a bit more, instead of
    just giving up when it knows the answer.

3:  a way of seeing the subject-lines in a batch at the start of
    each newsgroup - much the same way that digests do now, so
    you can skip reading the entire newsgroup if its all not
    very interesting.
    (perhaps also a command that marks all such articles as boring - see above)

    Yes I know that you can use:  readnews -p | grep Subject
    but this is not quite the desired effect.

If anybody has thoughts on these matters I'm sure many people would
be interested to hear them.  It might reduce your news reading time
from 1 hour/day, to 15 mins?

(ps:  I haven't implemented any of this -- yet)

Ian Donaldson

ACSnet: rcodi@yabbie             UUCP: ...!siesmo!munnari!yabbie.rmit.oz!rcodi
CSNET:	rcodi@yabbie.rmit.oz     ARPA: rcodi%yabbie.rmit.oz@seismo
BITNET:	rcodi%yabbie.rmit.oz@CSNET-RELAY
ISD:  + 61 3 660 2619,           STD:  (03) 660 2619 (1pm-11:59pm weekdays)
PAPER:   Dept of Communication & Electronic Engineering,
	 Royal Melbourne Institute of Technology,
	 Latrobe St, Melbourne, 3000, Australia
MORSE:  .-. -.-. --- -.. .. @ -.-- .- -... -... .. .   (yes - it IS right! :-)

page@ulowell.UUCP (Bob Page) (05/19/86)

In article <229@yabbie.oz> rcodi@yabbie.oz (Ian Donaldson) writes:
>I am running news V2.10.3, and would like to see the following
>options added to the system:
>
>1: a "B" command for vnews and readnews, that marks an article
>   as "boring", and causes all followups to be suppressed
>   from the "y/n" answering sequences.

Use the 'K' or 'k' commands in rn.  'k' acts like your 'B', and 'K'
means "I don't EVER want to see this subject."

>2: a way of "checknews" reporting that there is important LOCAL news
>   rather than just news.

Use rn and put your local news at the top of your .newsrc -- rn will
print the number of messages in the first five newsgroups.

>3:  a way of seeing the subject-lines in a batch at the start of
>    each newsgroup - much the same way that digests do now, so
>    you can skip reading the entire newsgroup if its all not
>    very interesting.

Use the '=' command of rn to see all subject lines, and the 'c' command
to catch up (don't read them).

>(ps:  I haven't implemented any of this -- yet)

No need to!

..Bob
--
UUCP: wanginst!ulowell!page	Bob Page