[comp.windows.x] XVision questions

james@racerx.UUCP (James Montebello) (05/29/91)

Does anyone have any info on the latest version of the XVision server?
We've got V3.0. Anything later available? Has anyone else seen the
annoying "disappearing icons" bug? (A running processes' icon just
vanishes, making it rather difficult to do anything with that program
except kill it).

E-mail, if you please.
--

James Montebello (uunet!racerx!james)     "my employer has no opinions."
WERA, SCCA, DIOC, FSSNOC, MCRA, DoD and Team Cheap (geez, enough clubs?)

simon@visionware.co.uk (Simon Taylor) (05/31/91)

In article <691@racerx.UUCP> james@racerx.UUCP (James Montebello) writes:
>Does anyone have any info on the latest version of the XVision server?
>We've got V3.0. Anything later available? Has anyone else seen the
>annoying "disappearing icons" bug? (A running processes' icon just
>vanishes, making it rather difficult to do anything with that program
>except kill it).
>
>E-mail, if you please.

	Since this is no doubt of general interest, I will post.

	This is the press release for XVision 4.0.

VISIONWARE ANNOUNCES AVAILABILITY OF XVISION 4.0.
LATEST RELEASE OF THEIR MICROSOFT WINDOWS X SERVER

Leeds, England, June 4, 1991 - VisionWare Limited, the leading developer and
marketer of PC/host integration software, is pleased to announce the
availability of XVision, their market leading PC-based server for The X Window
System.  The new release, called XVision 4.0, is now shipping.

XVision enables PCs networked over TCP/IP to one or more host systems
(UNIX or non-UNIX) to display multiple X clients alongside local Windows
programs, including support for copy and paste between DOS and X.

XVision 4.0 represents a major product revision since it supports fully the
X11r4 protocol, including all fonts as well as many X11r4 enhancements and
server extensions.  For the first time, XVision 4.0 will also adopt a
radically new approach to user licensing, which is designed to prevent
software piracy while presenting no inconvenience to the user.

XVision 4.0 supports all X color classes including support for 256 colors or
more depending upon the display hardware.  If the user only has an EGA or VGA
display, XVision will allow the user to temporarily replace the 16 colors in
the Windows colormap with 16 colors more appropriate to the X client's
requirements.

In addition to this, XVision 4.0 will bring:

o	Optimum use of existing and future PC investments; no need to have a
	PC and an X terminal on the desk.

o	Displays Microsoft Windows applications and multiple X clients on the
	PC console simultaneously - a more efficient way to work.

o	Users can use the host window manager of their choice, or allow
	Microsoft Windows to control X clients.

o	Support for all color classes (staticGray, GrayScale, StaticColor,
	PseudoColor, TrueColor and DirectColor).

o	User can utilize any Windows-compatible graphics adapter and display.

o	Provides several user options for performance enhancement.

o	Supports X11r4 including fonts and server extensions.

o	Allows X clients to use Microsoft Windows fonts, and provides support
	for Microsoft Windows font managers.

o	Supports a wide variety of implementations of TCP/IP on the PC,
	including new support for HP ARPA Services for DOS and Novell Lan
	Workplace for DOS.

o	Provides on-line help.

o	The maximum number of host connections has been increased from 16 to 32
	(dependent on the user's network configuration).

XVision retails for $449 (Pounds 399) and can be obtained from VisionWare's US
distributors which are UniPress of Edison, New Jersey, tel: (908) 287-2100,
and Graphic Software Systems of Portland, Oregon, tel:(503) 641-2200. Out of
the US contact VisionWare at the address below for your nearest distributor.

Headquartered in Leeds, England, VisionWare is a leading developer and
marketer of PC/host integration software.  The company was founded in 1989
following a leveraged buy-out from Systime Computers Ltd.  VisionWare's family
of solutions for users of Microsoft Windows, PCs and UNIX systems include
PC-Connect, XVision and SQL-Retriever.

For additional information contact:

VisionWare Ltd
57 Cardigan Lane
Leeds
LS4 2LE
England

Tel: +44 (0) 532 788858
Fax: +44 (0) 532 304676

Email: vware@visionware.co.uk

Or see us at Xhibition Booth #1219

All trademarks are acknowledged.

carter@mr2.mst6.lanl.gov (Dave Carter) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May31.122133.23327@visionware.co.uk> vware@visionware.co.uk writes:
>VISIONWARE ANNOUNCES AVAILABILITY OF XVISION 4.0.
>LATEST RELEASE OF THEIR MICROSOFT WINDOWS X SERVER

i would highly recommend this product... it is excellent.

				- dave