[comp.windows.x] Defining DNETCONN

nreadwin@micrognosis.co.uk (Neil Readwin) (06/02/91)

I recently found out about DNETCONN and am now happily using DECnet to talk
between X11R4 on our Ultrix box and DECWindows on the VMS machines. A search
of the source tree using find and grep indicate that this is completely
undocumented apart from a passing reference in the usenixws/paper.ms. Is
there a good reason for this (like it doesn't really work :-) ?

Has anybody implemented the DECnet stuff on other machines (ie non-DEC kit) ?

 Phone: +44 71 528 8282  E-mail: nreadwin@micrognosis.co.uk
 Everything is a cause for sorrow that my mind or body has made

dale@boing.UUCP (Dale Luck) (06/03/91)

In article  nreadwin@micrognosis.co.uk (Neil Readwin) writes:
>I recently found out about DNETCONN and am now happily using DECnet to talk
>undocumented apart from a passing reference in the usenixws/paper.ms. Is
>there a good reason for this (like it doesn't really work :-) ?
>Has anybody implemented the DECnet stuff on other machines (ie non-DEC kit) ?

DNETCONN works fine for us, AmigaDOS is definitely and non-DEC computer
architecture. But then we wrote our own socket library to emulate the
required functions by X11 when using DECnet so it ought to work.

This is supported in the server as well as the clients and development
environment.

--
Dale Luck     GfxBase/Boing, Inc.
{uunet!cbmvax|pyramid}!amiga!boing!dale