[comp.windows.x] X11R4 on DECstation 3100, how to load automatically?

thomas@bach.cs.byu.edu (Thomas McNeill) (06/01/91)

I have successfully compiled generic X11R4 on a DECstation 3100, after
some patches from some nice folks (thanks!).  Now I want to automatically
load X11R4 when the machine boots, but no luck.  I changed the last
line in /etc/ttys, but this does not work.  Not surprising, since the X11R4
documentation says this method is no longer supported.  They say
"check with your system administrator."  Well, I did, and he is me,
and he doesn't know!

Any help would be appreciated.  It is probably just a one-liner in
some obscure file in /etc.

--Thomas
thomas@bach.cs.byu.edu

wittig@gmdzi.gmd.de (Georg Wittig) (06/03/91)

thomas@bach.cs.byu.edu (Thomas McNeill) writes:

>I have successfully compiled generic X11R4 on a DECstation 3100, after
>some patches from some nice folks (thanks!).  Now I want to automatically
>load X11R4 when the machine boots, but no luck.  I changed the last
>line in /etc/ttys, but this does not work.  Not surprising, since the X11R4
>documentation says this method is no longer supported.  They say
>"check with your system administrator."  Well, I did, and he is me,
>and he doesn't know!

Comment out the ``:0'' line in /etc/ttys, and
append the line
	/usr/bin/X11/xdm
to your ``/etc/rc.local''. That should do the trick.
--
Georg Wittig   GMD-Z1.IT   P.O.Box 1240 | "Freedom's just another word
D-W-5205 St. Augustin 1	   (Germany)	|  for nothing left to lose"