[comp.windows.x] Porting X11R4

jot@ifi.unit.no (Jo Torsmyr) (05/31/91)

Does anyone know if there exists some documentation on how to port X11R4
to other platforms? I have followed the steps in mit/config/Imake.tmpl, but
that doesn't seem to work. The problem may seem to be that MacroIncludeFile
is not defined when Imake.tmpl is processed, but I compile imake with a
BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS, so I need more documentation...

Jo Torsmyr
Department of Computer Science
University of Trondheim
jot@ifi.unit.no

rps@arbortext.COM (06/01/91)

Howdy.  I'd appreciate it if you could pass on any responses you may get
concerning Imake.

			Thanks, Ralph

pha21@seq1.keele.ac.uk (Braham Levy) (06/03/91)

In article <1991May31.164737.8519@ugle.unit.no>, jot@ifi.unit.no (Jo Torsmyr) writes:
> Does anyone know if there exists some documentation on how to port X11R4
> to other platforms? I have followed the steps in mit/config/Imake.tmpl, but
> that doesn't seem to work. The problem may seem to be that MacroIncludeFile
> is not defined when Imake.tmpl is processed, but I compile imake with a
> BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS, so I need more documentation...

the are several files which may need to be customised in the .../config
directory. site.def seems a good place to start. as for documentation,
this is the last part of the X11R4 build, sort of catch-22 for you here.
try going to the doc directory and seeing if you can't find/build what
you need by hand, can't remember the filname offhand. there might be
some .ps files hanging aroung that also help.

please tell us more about your configuration. i'm certain unless its the
weirdest of machines that someone somewhere out there has actually done
what you are trying too already and even if not someone may be able to
help you more.

braham

> Jo Torsmyr
> Department of Computer Science
> University of Trondheim
> jot@ifi.unit.no

___
j braham levy					| UDSP Lab, EE Group,
JANET:	brahamlevy@uk.ac.keele			| Physics Department,
USENET:	brahamlevy@keele.ac.uk			| University of Keele , Keele,
UUCP: ...ukc!keele.ac.uk!brahamlevy		| Staffordshire, ST5 5BG, UK.

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (06/04/91)

In article <1991May31.164737.8519@ugle.unit.no>, jot@ifi.unit.no (Jo Torsmyr) writes:
> Does anyone know if there exists some documentation on how to port X11R4
> to other platforms? I have followed the steps in mit/config/Imake.tmpl, but
> that doesn't seem to work. The problem may seem to be that MacroIncludeFile
> is not defined when Imake.tmpl is processed, but I compile imake with a
> BOOTSTRAPCFLAGS, so I need more documentation...

There are a few documents in mit/doc/Server which are exactly what you
are looking for.  They have to be formatted with tbl and nroff using the
ms macro package.  You may event want to print all of them out to make
them reference material.
These are the files:
total 343
drwxrwxr-x  3 bill     engin         512 Oct  4  1990 ./
drwxrwxr-x 19 bill     engin         512 Mar 29 15:04 ../
-r--r--r--  1 bill     engin         399 Dec 20  1989 Makefile
-r--r--r--  1 bill     engin      178464 Dec 21  1989 ddx.tbl.ms
-r--r--r--  1 bill     engin       41298 Feb 26  1988 gdz.tbl.ms
-r--r--r--  1 bill     engin       39755 Dec 21  1989 r4.tbl.ms
-r--r--r--  1 bill     engin       76716 Dec  4  1989 strat.ms
drwxrwxr-x  2 bill     engin         512 Oct  4  1990 xinput/

| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 | FAX (617)890-8694         | bill@polygen.com            |