[comp.windows.x] Xterminals

Kimbrough@dsg.csc.ti.COM (Kerry Kimbrough) (07/08/88)

Can someone send more info about the X terminals from XPi and Visual?

jenkin@yunexus.UUCP (Michael Jenkin) (08/17/88)

Is there a standard for X terminals (running X over serial lines)?
Ideally I'd like to know of an existing system to study, but I would
be happy just to have a copy of the protocol standard.

thanks

Michael Jenkin
York University

weltyc@nisc.nyser.net (Christopher A. Welty) (12/24/88)

I KNOW this has been discussed here before, but it's been so long
since I read this group - could anyone with information on X terminals
please *mail* it to me?  We are interested in perhaps buying some of
these.  I'd like to know specifics like cost, how it works (do they
require some real machine somewhere to `boot' off of, do they run
anything besides a server like maybe xterm and if so do they also have
a shell ... etc ...), and if you are using them how are they, adn so
on.  Any help is appreciated.

klee@daisy.UUCP (Ken Lee) (01/26/89)

There's an article in the current issue of *Digital Review* about X terminals.
They list these:

    Visual Technology (Lowell, MA), model 640X, 68000 cpu, 12MHz, 1024x800
	monochrome, 14" screen, $1995

    Networking Computing Devices (Mountain View, CA), model NCD 16, 68000 cpu,
	12.5MHz, ASIC graphics processor, 1024x1024 monochrome, 16" square
	screen

    Tektronix (Beaverton, OR), model 4211 Graphics Netstation, 386SX cpu,
	TI 34010 graphics processor, 1024x768 color, 15" screen, $6495

    Acer-Counterpoint (San Jose, CA), model Xebra 1000, 8086 cpu, 640x480
	monochrome, $1000

    DEC, no info

I don't know if any of these are currently for sale.  I've seen prototypes
of the Acer and NCD terminals and they seem pretty stable.  I think they're
supposed to start shipping this quarter.  The DEC terminal may still be
in the vaporware stage.

Ken Lee
--
klee@daisy.uucp
Daisy Systems Corp., Interactive Graphics Tools Dept.

margaret@ms.uky.edu (Malgorzata Marek Sturgill) (02/01/89)

Hi,
	There was a lot of discussion n this group lately about different
X Terminals. I was wondering if anybody has a list of them and their
pro and cons. If so could you e-mail it to me. W are looking at them as an
alternative to workstations. We are running both X10 and X11 on
Microvaxes under Ultrix, Suns, and Sequent.
				Thank you very much,
					Margaret.

--
Malgorzata Marek Sturgill		ARPA:   margaret@ms.uky.edu
					UUCP:   {uunet,cbosgd}!ukma!margaret

Scott.Fahlman@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU (02/19/89)

Why does everyone assume that a low-cost X terminal must necessarily
down-load the server and all its fonts and bitmaps from some central
Ethernet host?  CD-ROM drives are now pretty cheap -- something like $500,
I think, if you don't need fancy options.  Why not put such a drive on each
terminal?  Then the terminal could get the vast majority of read-only info
it needs from the CD-ROM, and only bother the Ethernet to get site-specific
stuff.  The terminal manufacturer could put out a CD with the latest server
for various configurations, a large collection of fonts and bitmaps, and so
on, and this could be updated every month or two.  Proprietary fonts could
be on the CD with some hardware interlock to prevent them from being read
unless you've bought that particular license.

Is anyone out there doing it this way?  Is there any reason it couldn't be
done this way?

Scott Fahlman
School of Computer Science
Carnegie-Mellon University

bzs@Encore.COM (Barry Shein) (02/19/89)

From: Scott.Fahlman@B.GP.CS.CMU.EDU
>Why does everyone assume that a low-cost X terminal must necessarily
>down-load the server and all its fonts and bitmaps from some central
>Ethernet host?  CD-ROM drives are now pretty cheap -- something like $500,
>I think, if you don't need fancy options.  Why not put such a drive on each
>terminal?

The cycle of reincarnation hits the X-terminal before they're even
much available! And then we can run Unix on the things and...

The problem is management. This sort of thing is fine for several
X-terminals in a lab, heck, you could probably get away with a 2MB
3-1/2" floppy disk for $150.

But when you're talking dozens if not hundreds (read: university) of
such terminals it's just another component to manage (distribute
disks, fix 'em, deal with people who boot out of date revs and then
call for help when things act funny etc etc.)

A *major* advantage of a rom'd and/or downloaded X-terminal is going
to be the extent to which it acts like a terminal: power it on and it
goes (even if it magically downloads something, that's enough source
of problems but let's face it, if the network isn't working properly
you're sunk no matter how it boots.)

It's hard to compare loading a new copy of the software once (or a few
times) on a server and yelling POWER-CYCLE vs distributing say 500
disks.

Remember, the biggest advantage of these things are in bigger
installations. Scaled down to a few in a lab one can always wonder
what the big deal is and why not just get some more complicated, more
sophisticated set-up. Even the smallish price differentials seem
ignorable when you're talking 5 units but takes on new meaning when
considering 500 or even 100.

	-Barry Shein, ||Encore||

mcneill@eplrx7.UUCP (mcneill) (04/22/89)

Has anybody had any experience with X Terminals?

Please e-mail responses.

Thanks,

Keith

--
    Keith D. McNeill              |    E.I. du Pont de Nemours & Co.
    eplrx7!mcneill@uunet.uu.net   |    Engineering Physics Laboratory
                                  |    Wilmington, Delaware 19880-0357

billd@celerity.UUCP (Bill Davidson) (05/16/89)

We are considering buying some X terminals to test our release
of X and (for some users) as cheap alternatives to Suns.  I don't
even know where to start looking.  Does anyone out there have
references for magazine reviews of X terminals?  Even just a list
of vendors features and approximate prices would be a big help.

Bill Davidson		...!{ucsd,sdsu,fpssun,cogen,chip,photon}!celerity!billd

wwc@boole.ece.wisc.edu (William W. Carlson) (06/07/89)

I'm thinking about getting into the market for one or more X terminals
as a cheap replacement for low end workstations (where people only
just rlogin elsewhere anyway).  I'd be quite interested in hearing
from people who have had PERSONAL EXPERIENCE with these beasts.  I'm
especially interested in the feel of the things (how close does it
feel to a Sun 3/50 running X11) and the load they induce on a host
system.  Thanks for the info, and if I get a bunch of responses I will
summarize to the net, so no "please send me the results" messages,
please.

Bill Carlson
wwc@boole.ece.wisc.edu
wwc%boole.ece.wisc.edu@cs.wisc.edu

yakker@schoenberg.ucr.edu (The Rastafari Yakker) (06/09/89)

Please, PLEASE, can someone do me the most helpful favor and post the
source for cursorfont.h?  I need it desperately, since all of the files
I am trying to compile need it to finish their compiling! HEEELLLLPP!!

---------------------------------------*--------------------------------------
"Behold, God, is my salvation, I       |   Internet:    yakker@ucrmath.ucr.edu
will trust, and not be afraid.."      |+|      UUCP:    ...ucsd!ucrmath!yakker
                                     |+|+|
"What lies behind you and what lies  |+|+|        The University of California
before you pales insignificant when   |+|                         at Riverside
compared to what lies within you.."    |        Department of Computer Science
---------------------------------------*--------------------------------------

ctw@sun.central-services.umist.ac.UK (Colin Walls) (06/19/89)

We are considering buying X window terminals, selecting from both the
upper and lower end of the market. Does anyone have experience of such
terminals, price, performance, reliability etc. If I get sufficient
replies I will summarise the results.

--
                        Colin Walls

Janet:  Colin@uk.ac.umist               _______________________________
DARPA:  Colin@umist.ac.uk               | There is nothing, absolutely |
Uucp:   ukc!umist.ac.uk!Colin           |   nothing, quite so nice as  |
                                        |     messing about, simply    |
Tel: 061-236-3311 x 2626                |     messing about in boats   |
International: +44-61-236-3311 x 2626   -------------------------------

ctw@sun.central-services.umist.ac.UK (Colin Walls) (06/19/89)

We are considering buying X window terminals, selecting from both the
upper and lower end of the market. Does anyone have experience of such
terminals, price, performance, reliability etc. If I get sufficient
replies I will summarise the results.
--
                        Colin Walls

Janet:  Colin@uk.ac.umist               _______________________________
DARPA:  Colin@umist.ac.uk               | There is nothing, absolutely |
Uucp:   ukc!umist.ac.uk!Colin           |   nothing, quite so nice as  |
                                        |     messing about, simply    |
Tel: 061-236-3311 x 2626                |     messing about in boats   |
International: +44-61-236-3311 x 2626   -------------------------------

kochhar@endor.harvard.edu (Sandeep Kochhar) (09/15/89)

Hi!
Can anyone who has saved the various discussions of X terminals over
the last few weeks/months mail them to me?  Also, I would welcome
recommendations (and criticisms) about different brands and models.

thanks in advance.

Sandeep Kochhar
(617) 495-3988              mail: kochhar@harvard.harvard.edu
Harvard University                kochhar@harvard.csnet
33 Oxford st,                     kochhar@harvard.uucp
Cambridge, Ma 02138               kochhar@harvard.bitnet

klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) (10/04/89)

If anyone's interested, the Sept., 1989 issue of *DEC Professional*, a
trade magazine, not affiliated with DEC, lists these X terminals.  They
don't say if they all really exist right now:

Acer Counterpoint (408)434-0190
3 models (2 monochrome, 1 color), 14" and 15", all 640x480, prices $995
to $1995

Falco Data Producs (800)835-2648
a workstation that can be configured as a terminal, $8750

GraphOn Corp (408)435-8400
monochrome, 14", 800x600, $1395

Human Designed Systems (800)437-1551
monochrome or color, 14", 1280x1024, $1999+

Network Computing Devices (415)694-0650
monochrome, 16", 1024x1024, $2500

Northwest Digital Systems (206)524-0014
monochrome, 14", 1024x780, $2500

Peritek Corp.
2 models, both color, 15" and 19", 1024x1024, $6500+

Visual Technology Inc., (800)847-8252
2 models, both monochrome, 14" and 19", both 1024x800, $1995 and $2995

Other systems I've seen include color terminals from Tektronix and
Jupiter Systems and a 19" model from NCD.

Ken Lee
DEC Western Software Laboratory, Palo Alto, Calif.
Internet: klee@decwrl.dec.com
uucp: uunet!decwrl!klee

dig@peritek.UUCP (Dave Gotwisner) (10/05/89)

This response is to correct an error in Ken Lee's post (and the *DEC*
Professional* article).

In article <1885@bacchus.dec.com>, klee@gilroy.pa.dec.com (Ken Lee) writes:
> If anyone's interested, the Sept., 1989 issue of *DEC Professional*, a
> trade magazine, not affiliated with DEC, lists these X terminals.  They
> don't say if they all really exist right now:
>
> [other products deleted]
>
> Peritek Corp.
> 2 models, both color, 15" and 19", 1024x1024, $6500+
>
> [other products deleted]

Actually, our 1K x 1K devices are not X servers.  They are graphics boards
which run either on Q-Bus or UNIBUS VAXes (both VMS and ULTRIX) and run
X/DECWindows.

We will also soon have servers running on 512x512, 640x480, and other 1Kx1K
devices (also on Q-Bus VAXes).

Sorry if this can be seen as an advertisement, but I hate inaccurate data on
the net (or about our products).
Dave Gotwisner					UUCP:  ...!unisoft!peritek!dig
Peritek Corporation				       ...!vsi1!peritek!dig
5550 Redwood Road
Oakland, CA 94619				Phone: 1-415-531-6500

dig@peritek.UUCP (Dave Gotwisner) (10/05/89)

I need to read my postings more than once when I send it out.  In my previous
post, I said:

In article <1281@peritek.UUCP>, dig@peritek.UUCP (Dave Gotwisner) writes:
> [stuff deleted]
>
> Actually, our 1K x 1K devices are not X servers.
					  ^^^^^^^
This should be "terminals".  Our devices are NOT X-Terminals.
Dave Gotwisner					UUCP:  ...!unisoft!peritek!dig
Peritek Corporation				       ...!vsi1!peritek!dig
5550 Redwood Road
Oakland, CA 94619				Phone: 1-415-531-6500

chris@cs.city.ac.uk (Chris Marshall) (03/07/90)

Can anyone recommend an X window terminal to run on an Ethernet ?

If you can, then mail me at the address below.

Many thanks.

Chris

Chris Marshall, Computer Science, City University, London, EC1V OHB.
JANET: c.marshall@uk.ac.city.cs            Phone: 01-253-4399 x3719

lms@think.com (Luis Miguel Silveira) (02/14/91)

In my Lab at MIT we are considering buying a set of Xterms.  I would
appreciate if anyone has recommendations about vendors, models, sizes, etc.
Please e-mail me.  I will post answers if there is any interest.

Also experience with the type of load these machines put on a server is
welcomed.  We are considering putting them on the Ethernet and have a VAX
and a DECstation be the font servers, etc.

The requirements are:
- screen larger than 15"
- Ethernet and serial communication (no Slip...  that doesn't work :-).

What we are interested in finding out is:
- maintainability
- ease of use
- reliability
- speed (serial & Ethernet-wise)
- how much do these beasties load the network or the connecting server

The idea is to keep them around the Lab connected via Ethernet but later
take them home (and use them with modems).

Thank you very much for your attention.  Please direct your answers to
	lms@sobolev.mit.edu

-Luis Miguel

Luis Miguel Silveira          e-mail : lms@sobolev.mit.edu  (or)  lms@think.com
Research Laboratory for Electronics  ---  Massachusetts Institute of Technology

craig@stat.tamu.edu (Craig Smith) (05/30/91)

We are looking into buying a half a dozen or so X terminals, and I'm
hoping someone out there can point me in the right direction.  What is
the going price range for X terminals?  Color is not a major concern for
our purposes, but we might go that way if the price is right.
Can anyone share good/bad experiences with particular vendors (Tektronics,
et al.)   Please reply in e-mail as I do not regularly follow this newsgroup.

Thanks in advance,
   Craig Smith
---
Craig Smith, <craig@stat.tamu.edu>   Department of Statistics, Texas A&M

raf@fib.upc.es (Rafal Korycinski) (05/30/91)

You wrote :
> We are looking into buying a half a dozen or so X terminals, and I'm
> hoping someone out there can point me in the right direction.  What is
> the going price range for X terminals?  Color is not a major concern for
> our purposes, but we might go that way if the price is right.
> Can anyone share good/bad experiences with particular vendors (Tektronics,
> et al.)   Please reply in e-mail as I do not regularly follow this newsgroup.

I am including here amessage that I have received some time ago from xpert
mailing list. Hope it will help

VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV begin VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV

Date: 19 Mar 91 16:01:51 GMT
From: jim@applix.com
Subject: X Terminal information - useful?
Sender: xpert-request@expo.lcs.mit.edu
To: xpert@expo.lcs.mit.edu
>Newsgroups: comp.windows.x

I have gotten enough e-mail requests for the following list, and it is
more comprehensive than the XUG FAQ list, that as a trial I am posting
this, in hopes that people will let me know what they think - Is it
useful? Should it be a monthly posting?

Important: The information on this list has been informally collected
from all sorts of sources. It is believed to have at least been reliable
information at some point, but I make no statement that this information
is current or correct. The prices are not quotes - in all cases contact
the vendor for up to date information. I will update the list with any new
information I receive that seems reliable. For any vendor I have left off
the list or have incorrect information on, I apologize but please get me
the updated information - that's the whole point of this!

        X TERMINAL SPECIFICATIONS AND PRICING - LAST UPDATED 03-19-91
      PLEASE SEND UPDATES, CORRECTIONS, AND COMMENTS TO: jim@applix.com

Model   Type, Colors/Grayscales         Res.      Mem.  CPU/GCC       List US$
Applied Digital Data Systems 100 Marcus Blvd. Hauppauge NY 11788 (800) 388-ADDS

4515X   15" mono, 76Hz                  1024x800  1.0   68020-16         3,240
4519X   19" mono, 70Hz                  1280x1024 1.0   68020-16         3,990
XL14C   14" color, 256 color, 70Hz      640x480   1.5   68020-16
XL19C   19" color, 75Hz                 1280x1024       68020-??
AT&T Computer Systems 1 Speedwell Ave., Morristown, NJ 07960

730X    16" mono, 60Hz                  1024x1024 1.0   680XX            2,995
Bull HN Information Systems 13430 N. Black Canyon Hwy., Phoenix, AZ 85029

1600    16" mono, 70Hz                  1024x1024 1.5   68020            2,500
1920    19" mono, 70Hz                  1280x1024 1.5   68020            3,700
1720C   17" color, 70Hz                 1024x768  1.5   68020            5,000
****OEM versions from NCD
Datacube Inc (JCC) 4 Dearborn Rd., Peabody MA 01960 (508) 535-4624

XS16-1  16" color, 256 color            1280x1024 4.0   68030-25        5,000
Data General Corp. 4400 Computer Dr., Westboro, MA 01580 (508) 366-8911

AUX-30  16" mono, 70Hz                  1024x1024 1.6   68000            2,795
Digital Equipment Corp., 6 Technology Park Dr. Westford MA 01886 (508) 635-8076

VT1000  15" mono, 100dpi/72Hz           1024x864  1.0   34010-50         2,895
VT1000  19" mono, 100dpi/72Hz           1024x864  2.0   34010-50         3,595
VT1000  19" mono, 100dpi/72Hz           1024x864  1.0   34010-50        13,995
VT1300  19" color,100dpi/66Hz           1280x1024 8.0   34010-50         7,500
*additional memory approximately $600/MB list
**$200-300 discount with purchase of 25+ or with DEC computer system
***19" mono $13k is flat panel display, all have fans, all are thin-net only
GraphOn Corp., 1980 Concourse Dr., San Jose, CA 95131 (408) 435-8400

GO-250X 14" mono, 60Hz                  1056x792  0.5   68000            1,895
14      14" mono, 75Hz                  800x600   0.5   68000-12           995
****14 is not traditional X terminal - requires host server code and memory
HMW Enterprises, 604 Salem Rd., Etters, PA 17319

9203-PM 13" color                       640x480   1.0   80286            6,050
Hewlett-Packard, 3000 Hanover St., Palo Alto, CA 94303 (415) 857-1501

700/X   14" color, 16 color             640x480   1.0   34010-50         2,595
700/X   16" color, 16 color             1024x768  1.0   34010-50
700/X   19" mono, 16 gray               1024x768  2.0   34010-60         2,995
700/X   19" color, 16 color             1024x768  1.0   34010-50
700/X   17" mono, 16 gray               1024x768  1.0   34010-50
700/X   20" color, 16 color             1024x768  1.0   34010-50         4,195
Human Designed Systems, 421 Feheley Dr., Unit E, King of Prussia, PA 19406

V142    14" mono,                       640x480         34010-60        1,999
VS14    14" mono, 100dpi/60Hz           1024x1024  .5   34010-40        1,999
VS14-16 14" mono, 100dpi/60Hz           1024x1024  .5   34010-40        2,199
V162    16" mono,                       1024x1024       34010-60        2,899
VS16    16" mono, 100dpi/75Hz           1024x1024  .5   34010-40        2,899
VS16-16 16" mono, 100dpi/75Hz           1024x1024  .5   34010-40        3,099
VS16-25616" mono, 100dpi/75Hz           1024x1024  .5   34010-40        3,599
VS19    19" mono, 100dpi/65Hz           1024x1024  .5   34010-40        3,799
V191    19" mono, 100dpi/65Hz           1024x864  1.5   34010-60        2,599
V192    19" mono, 100dpi/65Hz           1280x1024       34010-60        3,599
VS19-16 19" mono, 100dpi/65Hz           1024x1024  .5   34010-40        3,999
VS19-25619" mono, 100dpi/65Hz           1024x1024  .5   34010-40        4,499
VS14c   14" color, 100dpi/60Hz          1024x1024  .5   34010-40        2,999
VS14c4  14" color, 16 color             640x480         34010-60        2,999
VS15c4  15" color, 16 color             1024x768        34010-60        3,599
VS16c   16" color, 100dpi/75Hz          1024x1024  .5   34010-40        4,999
VS16c-256 16" color,100dpi/75Hz         1024x1024  .5   34010-40        5,299
VS17c   17" color, 100dpi/60Hz          1024x1024  .5   34010-40        5,499
VS17c8  17" color, 256 color            1280x1024       34010-60        4,999
VS21c   21" color, 100dpi/60Hz          1024x1024  .5   34010-40        6,999
VS21c8  21" color, 256 color            1280x1024       34010-60        5,999
*additional memory approximately $300/MB list
**30%-40%developer discount
***1.0 MB PROM standard, so deduct 1.0 meg from normal x-terminal requirements
IBM Austin, TX

XS120   12" mono-64                     640x480    .5   34010-50         2,525
XS120   14" color-256                   640x480    .5   34010-50         2,873
XS120   19" mono-16                     1024x768  1.5   34010-50         3,610
XS120   16" color-256 color             1024x768  2.5   34010-50         5,365
XS120   19" mono-16                     1280x1024 2.5   34010-50         5,040
XS120   19" color-256                   1280x1024 4.5   34010-50         9,686
XS130   12" mono                                  2.5   34020-??         2,650
XS130   14" color                                 2.5   34020-??         3,325
*additional memory approximately $500/MB list
**50% developer hardware discount
International Software Corp., 433 Park Point Dr., Ste. 275, Colden, CO 80401

PixC    19" mono, 60Hz                  1560x1000
JCC

XS16-1  16" color-256                   1280x1024 4.0   68030-25        5,000
Jupiter Systems, 1100 Marina Village Pkwy., Alameda, CA 94501 (415) 523-9000

310     19" color                       1280x1024
410     19" color, 100dpi/60Hz          1280x1024 4.0   68030-25        7,950
Micronics Computers, Inc. 232 Warren Ave., Fremont, CA 94539 (415) 651-2300

MT19    19" mono, 100dpi/70Hz           1280x1024 2.0   80386-25        2,995
3X      14" color, 62.5Hz               1024x768  2.0   80386-25        3,499
3X      17" color, 70Hz                 1024x768  2.0   80386-25        3,999
4X      14" color, 62.5Hz               1024x768  2.0   80486-25        4,499
4X      17" color, 70Hz                 1024x768  2.0   80486-25        4,999
*virtual memory system
**the 3X and 4X models have AT bus and the ability to be DOS PC's
NCR

XL19    19" mono                        1280x1024 4.0   68020-??         5,340
Network Computing Devices 350 N Bernardo Ave. Mtn View CA 94043 (415) 694-0650

NCD14c  14" color-256, 106dpi/70Hz      1024x768  4.0   68020-20         2,995
NCD15b  15" mono, 106dpi/70Hz           1024x800  2.0   68000-16         1,495
NCD16   16" mono, 106dpi/70Hz           1024x1024 1.0   68000-12         2,500
NCD16e  16" mono, 100dpi/70Hz           1024x1024 2.0   68020-15         3,200
NCD19   19" mono, 100dpi/70Hz           1280x1024 2.0   68020-15         3,700
NCD19b  19" mono, 75dpi/70Hz            1024x800  2.0   68000-16         2,295
NCD17c  17" color-256, 87dpi/70Hz       1024x768  2.0   68020-20         5,400
*additional memory approximately $300/MB list
**5% discount $15-25k, 10% $25-100k, 15% $100k+
****boot tape and software license required, $50-$500 extra
Northwest Digital Systems, PO Box 15288, Seattle, WA 98115 (800) 537-1201

XT15    15" mono, 100dpi/76Hz           1024x800  1.0   34010-??
XT19    19" mono, 75dpi/76Hz            1024x800  1.0   34010-??
Princeton Graphics, 1100 Northmeadow Pkwy., Roswell, GA 30076 (404) 664-1010

XC-30   16" color, 16 color             1024x768  1.0   34010-50        3,325
M-100   mono                                      1.0   34010-??        1,995
M-200   mono                                      1.0   34010-??        2,395
C-100   12" color                                       34010-??        2,895
C-300   14" color                                       34010-??        3,395
C-400   16" color                                       34010-??        4,995
Solarix Systems  Fremont, CA (415) 659-1544

CX-14   14" color-256                   1024x768  4.0   ?????           1,895
Solbourne Computer 1900 Pike Rd., Longmont, CO 80501 (303) 772-3400

XDS16   16" mono                        1024x1024 2.5   68000-12        3,095
XDS19   19" mono                        1280x1024 4.0   68020-15        4,395
XDS17c  17" color                       1024x768  4.0   68020-20        6,195
Spectragraphics Inc., 9707 Waples St., San Diego, CA 92121 (619) 450-0611

LS815   15" mono                        1024x800  2.0   68020-17        2,995
Tektronix (800) 225-5434

XN10    19" color                       1024x768  2.0                    5,995
XP21    17" mono                        1152x900  5.0   68030-??,        2,995
                                                        34020-??
XP23    19" mono grayscale              1280x1024 3.0
XP25    14" color                       1152x900  3.0
XP27    19" color                       1152x900  3.0
XP29    19" color                       1280x1024 3.0
Visual Technology  120 Flanders Rd., Westboro, MA 01581 (508) 836-4400

X14ES   15" mono, 100dpi/82Hz           1024x800  1.0   68000-12          995
X15     15" mono, 100dpi/76Hz           1024x800  1.0   68000-16        2,340
X19     19" mono,  75dpi/66Hz           1024x800  1.0   68000-16        2,795
X19+    19" mono,  85dpi/72Hz           1152x900  1.0   68000-16        2,795
X19T    19" mono, 100dpi/72Hz           1280x1024 1.0   68020-20        3,725
XB10    15" color or VGA                1024x768  2.0   68020-16,
                                                        34020-32        3,545
XB11    19" color, 256 color            1152x900  2.0   68020-20,
                                                        34020-40        5,365
XB12    21" color, 256 color            1280x1024 2.0   68020-20,
                                                        34020-40        6,055

*Xbase model units available unbundled without monitors, to attach to
 15-pin D type connectors
**X14ES display is interlaced video
****boot tape and software required, $200-$250 extra

Wyse Technology, (800) 438-9973, (408) 433-5600

X5      17" mono, 70Hz                  1280x1024 1.0   68020-??        1,799

Jim Morton, Applix Inc., Westboro, MA
...uunet!applix!jim    jim@applix.com

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ end ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

> Thanks in advance,

Not at all.

>    Craig Smith

      /************************************************************************
     /   _        __   /           email:  raf@fib.upc.es                    /
    /   / |  __  /    /     phone:  +34-3-4016940     fax :  +34-3-4017040  /
   /   /_/  / / --   /-----------------------------------------------------/
  /   / \  /_/_ /   /    Disclaimer :                                     /
 /             /   /   And this is my opinion but I disagree with it.    /

>Date: 19 Mar 91 16:01:51 GMT
>Important: The information on this list has been informally collected
>from all sorts of sources. It is believed to have at least been reliable
>information at some point, but I make no statement that this information
>is current or correct. The prices are not quotes - in all cases contact
    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
 [lots of info deleted]

It is amazing how fast this market is changing. X terminals are approaching a
price/performance level that makes them very enticing in many environments,
including software development. This list is out of date, because of the
rapidly changing market. I suggest a monthly posting with the following
fields for each model. These could be submitted to me by the companies that
wish to, unless there is some net protocol that would prohibit it. I really do
not want submissions from individuals since I cannot be sure that the info
would be reliable. I will compile the list and around the 1st of each month
I will post the findings.

The record should have the following fields:

Company Name, Address, Phone, FAX, e-mail contact
also size of company (Annual sales $$), how long in business

List the following vitals for each model:
Identification, Price:
 Complete Model Name, Part #,
 List price, Memory expansion price/Meg,
 Quantity Discounts, Corporate Discounts
 Delivery lead time required
 Color Mode: (Color, Mono, Greyscale), #of colors or shades out of palatte size
 Monitor size, Refresh Rate
 Base Memory, Max Memory, increment level
 Interfaces: Thin, Thick, UTP, Serial, other
 Server Version (R3, R4)
 Supports Local Clients (Y/N) and what clients (WM, Telnet, etc.)
 Provides Network Manager (SNMP/CMIP) agent services (Y/N)
 Xdmcp compliant? (Y/N)
 Other Software features.
Performance #'s:
 X-stones, X11perf mean, also include make/model of host used to get these #'s.

If anyone has other vitals they think should be included, I will gladly
consider them.

First posting will be 1st of July.
--
David Van Beveren                           INTERNET: emisle!dvb@ism.isc.com
EIS ltd. Professional Software Services     UUCP:   ..uunet!emisle!dvb

rick@ulticorp.UUCP (Rick Poleshuck) (06/05/91)

We are considering the purchase of 2 monochrome Xterminals to put on
our ethernet to connect to an IBM RS/6000.  I would like to hear about
any experiences, good or bad, with particular brands and models. I would
also be interested in any recommendations for memory configuration.
Since I will be summarizing, please email your responses.

Thanx for your help.
--
		| Email - !uunet!ulticorp!ultixrs!rick
Rick Poleshuck 	| Voice - (201) 887-9222 Ext. 755