[comp.windows.x] tvtwm

josh@concept.viewlogic.com (Joshua D. Marantz) (10/17/90)

I tried to use tvtwm a while ago, and it seemed to make my server
allocate about 10 megabytes.  Is it requesting backing store on its
megawindow?  Or is it allocating a pixmap for it?  Why is this
necessary?  Can't it just rely on normal server exposure events when
the user pans through the virtual display?  But when I use tvtwm I
can't do serious debugging anymore because my swap space is drained.
Can someone explain why running this program is so memory intensive?
--
Joshua Marantz
Viewlogic Systems, Inc.

barnes@TAURUS.CS.NPS.NAVY.MIL (patrick barnes) (01/31/91)

How close is tvtwm to swm.  Does it have all the multiple look/feel
3-D glyph support?

pat
--
        Capt Patrick D. Barnes, USAF    barnes@cs.nps.navy.mil
        NPGSCOL/Code CS/Ba              (408) 646-2830

imp@Solbourne.COM (Warner Losh) (01/31/91)

In article <9101301924.AA18221@taurus.cs.nps.navy.mil> barnes@TAURUS.CS.NPS.NAVY.MIL (patrick barnes) writes:
>How close is tvtwm to swm.  Does it have all the multiple look/feel
>3-D glyph support?

tvtwm is Tom LaStrange's extension to twm from MIT that supports the
virtual root.  It doesn't add 3-D glyphs or have multiple look/feel.
SWM uses OI to get the 3-D glyphs and multiple look/feel support.  In
addition, tvtwm doesn't get its configuration from resource files like
swm does.

Warner

--
Warner Losh		imp@Solbourne.COM
We sing about Beauty and we sing about Truth at $10,000 a show.

gt1111a@prism.gatech.EDU (Vincent Fox) (06/05/91)

While compiling tvtwm patch level 5, I get an error and abort about
free being redeclared in /usr/include/malloc.h.
Should I simply remove this definition or might this cause trouble elsewhere?

info: SunOS 4.1.1, gcc 1.39. X11R4
--
Vincent Fox (That's Mr. Bucko to you)|Georgia Tech, the only place where Friday
Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA             |is only two working days away from Monday.