Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
From: pete@iris49.UUCP (Pete Ware)
Subject: Re: strip-chart display
Sender: daemon@athena.mit.edu (Mr Background)
Date: 4 Jan 91 22:21:20 GMT

When I was at SAIC I wrote some fairly nice widgets for displaying
waveform data (i.e. stripchart like information).  It dealt gracefully
with displaying 24 hours (7 Mbytes) down to 1/100 of a second.
Horizontal and vertical scales can be changed interactively.

Contact jim@esosun.css.gov to see if it might be available.  The
following is from the README file.

This is a set of widgets for displaying waveforms under the X Window
System Version 11 Release 4.  The following widgets implement display
of a waveform with an optional scale on the left side and optional
detections overlaying the waveform.  The display may be scrolled left
or right.  An arbitrary number of waveform widgets may be created and
displayed.

The widgets handle color or monochrome screens of any resolution.
Flexibility in selecting colors, fonts and other appropriate
attributes make it easy to customize waveform display on an
application by application and user by user basis.  Each widget
follows the X Toolkit Intrinsics and is compatible with any other
widgets based on the Intrinsics.

--pete
Pete Ware / Biosym / San Diego CA / (619) 546-5532
uucp:     scripps.edu!bioc1!pete
Internet: bioc1!pete@scripps.edu

Article: 33748 of comp.windows.x
From: sundar@ai.mit.edu (Sundar Narasimhan)
Newsgroups: comp.windows.x
Subject: Re: Anyone got a graph widget (Athena and/or Motif)?
Date: 26 Mar 91 16:05:56 GMT
Sender: news@ai.mit.edu

In article <1991Mar26.073847.26457@melba.bby.oz.au>, gnb@bby.oz.au (Gregory N. Bond) writes:
|> Yet another FAQ, without a doubt.
|>
|> Does anyone have a graph widget that will do multiple line and/or bar
|> graphs on the one surface?  I am looking for fairly basic
|> business-type graphics.
|>
|> I have seen graph.tar.Z from trix.ai.mit.edu (as named in the X FAQ
|> list).  It seems OK, but only one line graph at a time, and no bar
|> graphs (from what I can tell; there is no documentation...)
Geez. I didn't know this was on the FAQ list.
Anyways, to answer your questions: graph.tar.Z on trix.ai.mit.edu
has been updated. It DOES do many line graphs at a time and always
did (i.e. you can call graph_add(), graph_add_array() etc.. multiple times).

It also has a rudimentary histogramming capability. (try setting
*graph*histogram: true -- Ok. It doesn't use flashy tiles -- it just
draws rectangles).

I also included a doc/doc.tex file which is a version of the documentation
that still hasn't quite caught up to the code. :-)

New resources that aren't documented:
	*markpoints: Bool (says if points should be highlighted)
	*pointstyle: String (one of square, hatch, box)
	*histogram: Bool
As usual, send bug reports/suggestions/enhancements etc. to me.

You could also consider using a graphics package such as DataViews, or SL-GMS.
They don't provide graphing widgets, but they do provide many kinds of graphs,
and can be made to display their output in a widget (for example, an
XmDrawingArea) with a bit of programming.  Let me know if you want addresses
or phone numbers for these companies!

--
Martin Janzen                     janzen@mprgate.mpr.ca (134.87.131.13)

----
Hi,

You recently posted to comp.windows.x asking for several types of widgets.

You may be interested in XRT/graph from our company. It provides a
graphics widget (plots (including line-charts and scatter-plots), bar-charts
and pie-charts) in an easy to use widget form. It also includes an
easy to use prototypeing and C generation tool called Builder.

Version 2 of XRT/graph is just about to be released for XView. Version 1 is
shipping now. Version 2 of XRT/graph for Motif will be in Beta in August,
and will ship in September.

XRT/graph is fairly inexpensive: US 1295 for version 1, US 1795 for Version 2.
There are no royalties or run-time fees for applications you distribute that
contain the XRT/graph widget.

If you'd like more info, please email me you full mailing address.

Thanks,
	Greg
 --
 Greg Kiessling          134 Adelaide Street East, Suite 204
 KL Group Inc.           Toronto, Ontario, M5C 1K9

----

In addition to these articles, refer to FAQ 57:

now [12/90] available on a.cs.uiuc.edu in pub/fwf.shar.Z. The set of widgets
there is intended to form the basis for future contributions. To be added to
the discussion list, contact free-widgets-request@eagle.cnsf.cornell.edu.
	Additional widgets are available on the contrib/ portion of the X11R4
tapes; these include the Xcu set.
	O'Reilly Volume 4, Doug Young's book, and the Asente/Swick book all
include details on writing widgets and include several useful widgets.
	A graph widget and other 2D-plot and 3D-contour widgets by Sundar
Narasimhan (sundar@ai.mit.edu) are available from ftp.ai.mit.edu as
/com/ftp/pub/users/sundar/graph.tar.Z. The graph widget has been updated [3/91]
with documentation and histogram capabilities.

	An alpha version of Lee Iverson's (leei@McRCIM.McGill.EDU) image-viewing
*widget* is available as /contrib/vimage.tar.Z on export.lcs.mit.edu and in
/pub/maspar on moe.mcrcim.mcgill.edu. The package also includes an
ImageViewPort widget and a FileDialog widget. [5/91]
	Other available file-requestor widgets include the FileSelector from the
Free Widget Foundation, the XiFileSelector from Iris Software's book, and
the xdbx file-selector extracted by David Nedde (daven@wpi.wpi.edu).

----

Thank you to:

janzen@mprgate.mpr.ca (Martin Janzen)