[comp.windows.x] xedit and/or widgets

"\"csdgwh\""@sn070.dnet.ge.COM (06/05/91)

From: csdgwh (Glenn W. Hoffman)
To: advax::"xpert@expo.lcs.mit.edu"
Subject: xedit and/or widgets

I would like to be able to use xedit in conjunction with xterm, primarily
to get the cut, copy and paste between windows.

My current tools are cmdtool and textedit, part of the Sun Deskset
Environment under OpenWindows. The difficulty with these tools is that
they do not work well with xterm and similar tools, in particular
xserial and xlat that are part of the NCD X-terminals local client suite.

What I need to do is reconfigure the translations of xedit.  I found a
sample translations resource in /usr/lib/X11/app-defaults/Xedit, and
was able to modify it to accept keys that are on my keyboard (an NCD VT-220
style keyboard). However, cut and paste functions are not identified in that
file, so xedit is still not yet useful for my application.

So, my question is: where do I find a complete description of the xedit
functions I can define keys for.  The man page is useless, even though
it points out the widget hierarchy, because I don't know how to use that
information. In particular, what books should I be consulting to configure
xedit to my keyboard?

Using X11R4, and SunOS 4.1.1   Hopefully, you can understand what I am
trying to do.  The terminology is sometimes overwelming for this
end user.

Glenn

PS: use these addresses. My gateways may not pass a valid return address.

csdgwh@sn070.dnet.ge.com
csdgwh@aesd.dnet.ge.com