[comp.windows.x] Openwindows font path problem

raja@bombay.cps.msu.edu (Narayan S. Raja) (05/24/91)

Hello.  We have the MIT X server as well
as the Sun Openwindows 2 xnews server.  Some
applications (e.g. xtex, Andrew) expect to
use fonts from font directories not in the
standard locations.

We have no problem doing this for the MIT
X server (using "xset fp+ ...." and
"xset fp rehash").  However, I'm unable
to get the Openwindows xnews server to
access ANY non-Openwindows font directory
(in fact it seem to look in $OPENWINHOME/lib/fonts
and *nowhere* else!)

I've tried changing FONTPATH, as well as the
"xset fp" method, but nothing works.  Is
there anything else I should know about
xnews?  Any suggestions whatsoever to try?

Thank you very much,

Narayan Sriranga Raja.

olson@juliet.ll.mit.edu ( Steve Olson) (05/24/91)

In article <1991May23.192054.25891@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> raja@bombay.cps.msu.edu (Narayan S. Raja) writes:
   Hello.  We have the MIT X server as well
> as the Sun Openwindows 2 xnews server.  Some
> applications (e.g. xtex, Andrew) expect to
> use fonts from font directories not in the
> standard locations.

> We have no problem doing this for the MIT
> X server (using "xset fp+ ...." and
> "xset fp rehash").  However, I'm unable
> to get the Openwindows xnews server to
> access ANY non-Openwindows font directory
> (in fact it seem to look in $OPENWINHOME/lib/fonts
> and *nowhere* else!)

> I've tried changing FONTPATH, as well as the
> "xset fp" method, but nothing works.  Is
> there anything else I should know about
> xnews?  Any suggestions whatsoever to try?

> Narayan Sriranga Raja.

This should probably be a FAQ.  The secret with ClosedWindows is
that the server does not read MIT fonts.  You were, in fact, setting the
font path, but the server was not finding any fonts it recognized.
Sun does supply some utilities to get around this problem, although
its not exactly obvious to the casual user.  convertfont(1) is the
starting point, although I recall that there were several hoops that one
has to jump through.

--
-- Steve Olson
-- MIT Lincoln Laboratory

masa@hpsciz.sc.hp.com (Masayoshi Habu) (05/24/91)

In comp.windows.x, raja@bombay.cps.msu.edu (Narayan S. Raja) writes:

    We have no problem doing this for the MIT
    X server (using "xset fp+ ...." and
    "xset fp rehash").  However, I'm unable
    to get the Openwindows xnews server to
    access ANY non-Openwindows font directory
    (in fact it seem to look in $OPENWINHOME/lib/fonts
    and *nowhere* else!)

    I've tried changing FONTPATH, as well as the
    "xset fp" method, but nothing works.  Is
    there anything else I should know about
    xnews?  Any suggestions whatsoever to try?

In our case, "xset +fp" and "xset fp rehash" works fine as well as
FONTPATH method for xnews. The tricky part is to create a font family
file for each font directory before executing "xset". Assuming that
you have font files (.fb files), try bldfamily on that directory first
to get font family files (.ff files).

Hope this helps.

Masa

gk5g+@andrew.cmu.edu (Gary Keim) (05/25/91)

Excerpts from netnews.comp.windows.x: 24-May-91 Re: Openwindows font
path p.. Steve Olson@juliet.ll.mi (1317)

> This should probably be a FAQ.  The secret with ClosedWindows is
> that the server does not read MIT fonts.  You were, in fact, setting the
> font path, but the server was not finding any fonts it recognized.

You can anon-ftp the Andrew OpenWindows fonts from host
emsworth.andrew.cmu.edu (128.2.30.62) in the top-level file
OWfonts.tar.Z.

Gary Keim
ATK Group

bill@polygen.uucp (Bill Poitras) (06/04/91)

In article <1991May23.192054.25891@msuinfo.cl.msu.edu> raja@cpswh.cps.msu.edu writes:

>We have no problem doing this for the MIT
>X server (using "xset fp+ ...." and
>"xset fp rehash").  However, I'm unable
>to get the Openwindows xnews server to
>access ANY non-Openwindows font directory
>(in fact it seem to look in $OPENWINHOME/lib/fonts
>and *nowhere* else!)

First, have you done a xset -q to confirm your fontpath change?

If so then the only thing I can think of is:
xnews only understands the Sun font format (.fb, .ff), not .snf format
that X11R4 uses.

+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+
| Bill Poitras    | Polygen Corporation       | {princeton mit-eddie        |
|     (bill)      | Waltham, MA USA           |  bu sunne}!polygen!bill     |
|                 | FAX (617)890-8694         | bill@polygen.com            |
+-----------------+---------------------------+-----------------------------+

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (06/06/91)

In article <1122@redford.UUCP> bill@redford.UUCP (Bill Poitras(X258)) writes:
>If so then the only thing I can think of is:
>xnews only understands the Sun font format (.fb, .ff), not .snf format
>that X11R4 uses.

I strongly suspect that this is the problem.  To solve it:

1.  Use the convertfont utility distributed with OpenWindows to
    convert the .fb/.ff fonts into .bdf format.

2. Use the font compiler that came with the MIT distribution to convert the
   .bdf files into .snf format.

3. Install the fonts as specified in the MIT documentation.
--
uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)