[comp.windows.x] decwindows displaying on sun

ridout@uservx.afwl.af.mil (06/04/91)

In article <ONEEL.91Jun4140237@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov>, oneel@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) writes:
> In article <1991Jun4.171133.27944@mlb.semi.harris.com> jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Jim Ray) writes:
>
>    Anyone been able to use the "set display" to allow displaying
>    decwindows ( or motif ) on a sun ( or other tcp/ip ) workstation using
>    TCP/IP as tranport?
>

>    When I try to "set display/permanent/transport=tcpip ..."  I get
>    an error.  I looked at the help info, and it wasn't much help.
>

> On the vax
>
> $ set display/create/host=<sun name here>/transport=tcpip
> $ spawn/nowait/input=nl: run sys$system:decw$session
>
> dec windows starts up.
>
> The one trick is that the multinet installation gives you the option
> to/not to install the "driver" for this.  You need to install it on
> the vax and reboot it.
>
> bruce
>
> --
> Bruce O'Neel              oneel@heasfs.gsfc.nasa.gov
> NASA/GSFC/STX/Code 664

Is there a way with Wollongong win/tcp 5.1?

--
|  Brian Ridout                  What's the difference between a CAR       |
|  PL/SCEV                       salesman and a COMPUTER salesman?         |

jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Jim Ray) (06/05/91)

Anyone been able to use the "set display" to allow displaying
decwindows ( or motif ) on a sun ( or other tcp/ip ) workstation using
TCP/IP as tranport?

When I try to "set display/permanent/transport=tcpip ..."  I get
an error.  I looked at the help info, and it wasn't much help.

Am I trying to do something that is not possible?

Thanks, in advance..

--
Jim Ray                                Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  jdr@semi.harris.com         PO Box 883   MS 62B-022

oneel@heawk1.gsfc.nasa.gov ( Bruce Oneel ) (06/05/91)

In article <1991Jun4.171133.27944@mlb.semi.harris.com> jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Jim Ray) writes:

   Anyone been able to use the "set display" to allow displaying
   decwindows ( or motif ) on a sun ( or other tcp/ip ) workstation using
   TCP/IP as tranport?

   When I try to "set display/permanent/transport=tcpip ..."  I get
   an error.  I looked at the help info, and it wasn't much help.

   Am I trying to do something that is not possible?

   Thanks, in advance..

I'm doing just what you want as I speak.

Systems

Vax -- different ones, all on internet, all with multinet.

Sun -- 4.0.3 and 4.1.1, all on internet.

On the sun

% xhost <vax name here>

[...]

                        ^^^^
                        should be node

So much for typing from memory.

--

schoch@starnet.com (Steve Schoch) (06/06/91)

In article <1991Jun4.152234.23057@uservx.afwl.af.mil> ridout@uservx.afwl.af.mil writes:
>Is there a way with Wollongong win/tcp 5.1?

I believe the "set" line should be

$ set display/create/node=<sun name here>/transport=wintcp

then the spawn command or the create/terminal command.

	Steve