[comp.windows.x] Netblazer+T2500+NCD+Xremote ?

casey@gauss.llnl.gov (Casey Leedom) (06/06/91)

| From: dave@ecrc.de (Dave Morton)
| Newsgroups: comp.dcom.modems
| Date: 27 May 91 08:53:35 GMT
|
| I'd like to hear from anyone using the Telebit Netblazer plus two
| T2500's, one local, one remote with an NCD using the Xremote software.
| Can this work to provide dialup users with X at home or remotely at, say,
| a trade show, demo etc ?  Any problems you encountered, distances, other
| remarks - all welcome.

  Urk ...  Uhmmm, I think you have extreme overkill here.  For a single X
terminal at home, the only real options are either an NCD running their
Xremote software or a GraphOn.  In my past experience (tests conducted
last summer), the GraphOn approach has yielded a heck of a lot better
performance, but that was a long time ago and I'm getting ready to run
another head to head comparison so that should be taken with a grain of
salt ...  In any case, neither setup uses IP at the terminal, so a
NetBlazer is both overkill and non-useful.

  For something like a trade show, on the other hand, where you want to
provide general IP connectivity, the NetBlazer is fine, though I'd look
closely at investing in four modems instead of two.  The NetBlazer can do
bandwidth splitting between two modem connections to give you double the
throughput of a single modem connection.  This can be very important even
with compressed SLIP because of the overhead SLIP and IP impose on your
raw modem bandwidth.

Casey