[net.news] changes at ihnp4

When polling ihnp4 this evening, our system got the infamous 'you
are unknown to me' message.  This implies that ihnp4 has now selected
the 'no strangers' option and will no longer accept calls from random,
unknown sites.

Actually, we are supposed to be registered with them, but something
seems to have gone wrong.  I would suggest that anyone polling ihnp4
check their logs to make sure that they are getting though, and if not,
contact ihnp4!action for assistance.
--
George Robbins - now working with,	uucp: {ihnp4|seismo|caip}!cbmvax!grr

gjm@packard.UUCP (Gary J. Murakami) (05/18/86)

In article <250@cbmvax.cbmvax.cbm.UUCP> grr@cbmvax.UUCP writes:
>When polling ihnp4 this evening, our system got the infamous 'you
>are unknown to me' message.  This implies that ihnp4 has now selected
>the 'no strangers' option and will no longer accept calls from random,
>unknown sites.

The real problem was file system damage with a trashed Systems file (of
course...).  I restored the Systems file, but for about 8 hours or so,
ihnp4 probably reject attempts to talk to it.  I'll refix the
remote.unknown mode to allow everyone in to send mail (this periodically
gets reset to the restricted default by updates to UUCP).

Sorry about the break in service, but I stopped "living" on ihnp4 last
October.

-Gary

fair@styx.UUCP (Erik E. Fair) (05/23/86)

The degradation in network service at ihnp4 precipitated by Gary
Murakami's departure is an interesting example of just how dependent
the USENET is on specific individuals to keep the network moving along
at key points. For another example, decvax has never been as responsive
as it was in the good old days when Armando Stettner was there...

	Erik E. Fair	styx!fair	fair@lll-tis-b.arpa