[net.news] The most expensive bug in the history of Usenet?

jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) (05/12/86)

Sometime over the weekend, it seems that site 'hpitg' shipped
everything in its spool back out to the net, 10-20 Mbytes
worth.  You can recognize these articles on your machine by
their "Path:" headers, which have the form

Normally, Path headers have no @'s in them, and "site" can be
any site on the net.

Fortunately, the full 20 Mb won't go everywhere, because spool
directories should fill up all over the net first, and the same
message-IDs were used, so I hope some of the backbone sites keep
news around for a long time (so the old Message-IDs will still
be in the history file).  Expect a larger phone bill this month.

--
- Joe Buck 	{ihnp4!pesnta,oliveb}!epimass!jbuck
  Entropic Processing, Inc., Cupertino, California

Better living through entropy!

Tim@lll-lcc.UUcp (Tim Kehres) (05/13/86)

In article <221@epimass.UUCP> you write:
>Sometime over the weekend, it seems that site 'hpitg' shipped
>everything in its spool back out to the net, 10-20 Mbytes
>worth.  You can recognize these articles on your machine by
>their "Path:" headers, which have the form

>Normally, Path headers have no @'s in them, and "site" can be
>any site on the net.
>
>Fortunately, the full 20 Mb won't go everywhere, because spool
>directories should fill up all over the net first, and the same
>message-IDs were used, so I hope some of the backbone sites keep
>news around for a long time (so the old Message-IDs will still
>be in the history file).  Expect a larger phone bill this month.
>
>--
>- Joe Buck 	{ihnp4!pesnta,oliveb}!epimass!jbuck
>  Entropic Processing, Inc., Cupertino, California
>
>Better living through entropy!

If  the message ID's were left the same, most sites should drop most
of the articles as "duplicate".  Please let me know if this is not the
case.

Tim Kehres
Control Data Corporaton / Lawrence Livermore National Laboratory
UUCP: {idi,ihnp4!lll-lcc}!styx!kehres
ARPA: kehres@lll-tis-b.ARPA
AT&T: (415) 423-6252

wex@milano.UUCP (05/13/86)

In article <221@epimass.UUCP>, jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) writes:
> [...] it seems that site 'hpitg' shipped everything in its spool back out to
> the net [...].  You can recognize these articles on your machine by
> their "Path:" headers, which have the form

> Normally, Path headers have no @'s in them, and "site" can be
> any site on the net.

This is not strictly true, expecially for sites like ours that talk to both
UUCP and ARPA.  All Usenet originated mail (and much news) appears here as

(im4u is a UT machine which generously feeds us UUCP news and mail (bless'em!))

In addition, when vnews shows news articles here, it often shows
	From: user@site.uucp
(thus making the `r' function useless).

Anyway, the point is that the simple presence of the @ may not be a good
indicator and Joe's advice may mislead some people.

--
Alan Wexelblat
ARPA: WEX@MCC.ARPA

"We do not act as a result of consideration, but as a way of being."

joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) (05/15/86)

In article <221@epimass.UUCP>, jbuck@epimass.UUCP (Joe Buck) writes:
> Sometime over the weekend, it seems that site 'hpitg' shipped
> everything in its spool back out to the net, 10-20 Mbytes
> worth.  You can recognize these articles on your machine by
> their "Path:" headers, which have the form

I executed the following shell script to count and pull these:

    #!/bin/sh
    L=$HOME/HPITG
    cd /usr/spool/news/net
    find . -exec grep -s '^Path:.*!hpitg' {} \; -exec echo {} \; >$L
    wc $L
    df
    rm `cat $L`
    df

By my estimate, I found 1,054 articles totalling ca. 2.5 mb that reached here.
Some came hplabs->sdcrdcf, others hplabs->hao->seismo etc.

I'd previously heard claims that Notes was superior in some aspects,
but it seems apparent that it is unable to keep up with the demands
of the current net traffic.
--
	Joel West	 	(619) 457-9681
	CACI, Inc. Federal, 3344 N. Torrey Pines Ct., La Jolla, CA  92037

jbs@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (05/15/86)

In article <8605130111.AA01357@lll-tis-b.ARPA> Tim@lll-lcc.UUcp (Tim Kehres) writes:
>>[...]
>>Fortunately, the full 20 Mb won't go everywhere, because spool
>>directories should fill up all over the net first, and the same
>>message-IDs were used, so I hope some of the backbone sites keep
>>news around for a long time (so the old Message-IDs will still
>>be in the history file).
>>[...]
>
>If  the message ID's were left the same, most sites should drop most
>of the articles as "duplicate".  Please let me know if this is not the
>case.

It is certainly not the case.  Many, many duplicate messages made it
here, and beyond.

Jeff Siegal

krossen@bbnccp.ARPA (Ken Rossen) (05/15/86)

In article <553@gould9.UUCP> joel@gould9.UUCP (Joel West) writes:

>     I'd previously heard claims that Notes was superior in some aspects,

It is.

>     but it seems apparent that it is unable to keep up with the demands of
>     the current net traffic.

I'm as annoyed with this ridiculous behaviour on the part of HP as almost
anyone (except perhaps the backbone site administrators, bless 'em), but
the latest round of notesfiles-bashing it has prompted is misguided.  Many
sites run notesfiles on USENET quite transparently and without incident.
Notably, University of Illinois, NYU, Intermetrics and Convex.  The
extremely poor citizenship of some notesfiles sites shouldn't lead
clear-thinking people to make generalizations about the program.  You don't
see Orphaned Responses from U of I any more.

I suppose it's time to remind people that, with notesfiles, you're ALWAYS
shown your article right after it's submitted, that you generally have to
be looking a group before you post to it, that cross-posting to a ton
of groups is much more complicated in notesfiles.  These are benefits to
the net, not to mention the additional benefits to the notesfiles
reader, which are many.

When people bash notesfiles by whining that they gave us "Orphaned
Response," I wonder why nobody recalls who gave us entire articles of
quoted text and "REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE," or postings to
net.general about lost earrings in the West Parking Lot.

I have to use news now, and there are certainly things I like about it,
notably support for regional distribution in non-regional newsgroups.  Rn
makes things much more palatable, of course.

But brain-damage on the part of HP (and Gould Ft. Lauderdale -- guys, clean
up those articles from "daemon@houligan"!) nonwithstanding, I think we'd be
suffering less from information overload if we were all using notesfiles.
--
Ken Rossen	...!{ihnp4,harvard,seismo}!bbnccv!krossen
____or____	krossen@ccp.bbn.com   -or-  krossen@bbnccp.arpa

zben@umd5.UUCP (Ben Cranston) (05/16/86)

This brings up an interesting point...  Suppose I am a commercial entity,
providing a service that competes directly with a service of USENET.  Many
potential customers may refuse my services based on the fact that they
already receive the services in question from USENET.

If my research lab gets a machine and connects it to USENET, then sabotages
the performance of the network under the guise of system testing, then
perhaps some of those customers could be persuaded to buy my services
after all.

This is *NOT* an accusation against HP or ATT or anybody else who may
periodically accidently flood the net with random strangeness.  It is just
a random speculation triggered by the recent stuff from HP...

--
"We're taught to cherish what we have   |          Ben Cranston
 by what we have no longer..."          |          zben@umd2.umd.edu

earle@smeagol.UUCP (Greg Earle) (05/17/86)

In article <1447@milano.UUCP>, wex@milano.UUCP writes:
> > Normally, Path headers have no @'s in them, and "site" can be
> > any site on the net.
> This is not strictly true, expecially for sites like ours that talk to both
> UUCP and ARPA.  All Usenet originated mail (and much news) appears here as

That's not a very good addressing scheme for replying to mail addressed like
that!

> In addition, when vnews shows news articles here, it often shows
> 	From: user@site.uucp
> (thus making the `r' function useless).

Uh, sorry, that's the fault of your Netnews installer.  Vnews has an
option to use either the From: line or the Path: line as the address
to send to for return mail.  `uumail' V 3.0 was just posted to mod.sources.
I suggest you have it installed.  If you do, and can use pathalias generated
paths, then the From: field is not "useless" at all; your smart mailer
can handle the translation for you.  That is what my machine does right now.
I saw your article as "From: wex@milano.UUCP", and if I had replied to
you directly via `r', the mail would have been sent via uucp mailer to
wex@milano.UUCP.  Since `uumail' is my uucp mailer *it* gets the wex@milano
line and has to do something with it - which it does; it looks up milano
in the pathalias database and substitutes the optimal path to your machine
instead of the random-walk path that is probably present in the Path: header.
It then calls uux to do the queuing.  Since most sites that post are in the
UUCP maps, this scheme works flawlessly 90% of the time - and it saves $$$$.

Now, if only everyone else would get on the stick and implement the
pathalias - uumail - uuhosts combo, we'd be getting somewhere ...
--
	Greg Earle	UUCP: sdcrdcf!smeagol!earle; (new!!) attmail!earle
	JPL		ARPA: elroy!smeagol!earle@csvax.caltech.edu

Were these parsnips CORRECTLY MARINATED in TACO SAUCE?

> Now, if only everyone else would get on the stick and implement the
> pathalias - uumail - uuhosts combo, we'd be getting somewhere ...

Do let us know how to implement pathalias on a 16-bit machine.  It can't
be done.  (We have local >16-bit sites we could lean on, but others don't.)
--
Join STRAW: the Society To	Henry Spencer @ U of Toronto Zoology
Revile Ada Wholeheartedly	{allegra,ihnp4,decvax,pyramid}!utzoo!henry

ronc@fai.UUCP (Ronald O. Christian) (05/21/86)

>When people bash notesfiles by whining that they gave us "Orphaned
>Response," I wonder why nobody recalls who gave us entire articles of
>quoted text and "REPLACE THIS LINE WITH YOUR MESSAGE," or postings to
>net.general about lost earrings in the West Parking Lot.
**

Now now, those are caused by uneducated users, not by bugs in the
software, as are the Orphans.  You have some good other points, (even
though they're surrounded by fightin' words like 'bashing' and
'whining') but this is comparing apples to waffles.

				Ron
		Ronald O. Christian (Fujitsu America Inc., San Jose, Calif.)
		seismo!amdahl!fai!ronc  -or-   ihnp4!pesnta!fai!ronc

Oliver's law of assumed responsibility:
	"If you are seen fixing it, you will be blamed for breaking it."

jbs@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU (Jeff Siegal) (05/23/86)

In article <6709@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>[...]
>Do let us know how to implement pathalias on a 16-bit machine.  It can't
>be done.  (We have local >16-bit sites we could lean on, but others don't.)
>[...]

Yes, but you can use the -l option to compile the database on a large
machine and transfer it to the 16bitter.  If there isn't a larger
machine nearby, perhaps someone on the net would be willing to compile
pathalias databases, as a public service (obviously no more than one
or two per day).

Jeff Siegal

mark@cbosgd.UUCP (Mark Horton) (05/28/86)

In article <2070@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> jbs@mit-eddie.UUCP (Jeff Siegal) writes:
>In article <6709@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>Do let us know how to implement pathalias on a 16-bit machine.  It can't
>>be done.  (We have local >16-bit sites we could lean on, but others don't.)
>
>Yes, but you can use the -l option to compile the database on a large
>machine and transfer it to the 16bitter.  If there isn't a larger
>machine nearby, perhaps someone on the net would be willing to compile
>pathalias databases, as a public service (obviously no more than one
>or two per day).

Lauren Weinstein supports RFC 976 on a floppy based IBM PC with MS DOS.
If he can do it, surely an 11/70 running UNIX can.

The basic trick is that if you don't have room on your machine for a
complete map of the world (or if your machine is a PC that goes through
a gateway for everything anyway, and you don't want to maintain a copy
of a world map on every PC you have) you use an incomplete map, and take
advantage of the domain structure.  Your software has a table showing
some local configuration information (your PC's name, your neighboring
PC's names, your gateway's name) and a default entry that says "anything
I don't recognize, I send to the gateway."  Then you put the full table
(or at least a fuller table) on the gateway.

Pathalias isn't strictly necessary, although you can still run pathalias
on a subset of the world map to get the same results.  pathalias itself
will run on an IBM PC (I know of one PC XT running PC/IX with pathalias),
as long as the data it's fed is fairly small.

	Mark

ben@catnip.UUCP (Bennett Broder) (05/28/86)

In article <2070@mit-eddie.MIT.EDU> jbs@mit-eddie.UUCP (Jeff Siegal) writes:
>In article <6709@utzoo.UUCP> henry@utzoo.UUCP (Henry Spencer) writes:
>>[...]
>>Do let us know how to implement pathalias on a 16-bit machine.  It can't
>>be done.  (We have local >16-bit sites we could lean on, but others don't.)
>>[...]

Can it?  I thought I caught a reference in an article a couple of weeks ago
that noted that someone was able to hack the source.  If so, and anyone has
a copy I would greatly appreciate it if you could pass it on.

Thanks

Ben Broder
{ihnp4,decvax} !hjuxa!catnip!ben
{houxm,topaz}/

P.S.
If there is really some limitation that prevents it from working on 16bit
machines, couldn't it be hacked to use temporary disk files?