[comp.windows.x] Why is Mwm robbing me of my colors?

emuleomo@paul.rutgers.edu (Emuleomo) (06/11/91)

Hi Xworld,

 I am running Motif 1.0 on a 386 box (ESIX SysV R3.2) under X11R3.

 Here is what happens.

 If I run my application without mwm  (the motif window manager), the
 application can find ALL the colors requested (green red and blue)
 However, If I start mwm ***before*** I start my application,  suddenly
 I start getting warning messages that green and red cannot be found!!

 Now, If I start mwm ***after**  I start my application, every thing is
 still fine!!
 Whats going on here? Why is mwm robbing me of my colors?
 Please E-mail!

--Emuleomo O.O. (emuleomo@yes.rutgers.edu)
--
Remember! It doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you win!

wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US (Warren Tucker) (06/13/91)

In article <Jun.10.23.39.52.1991.20403@paul.rutgers.edu> emuleomo@paul.rutgers.edu (Emuleomo) writes:
>Hi Xworld,
> If I run my application without mwm  (the motif window manager), the
> application can find ALL the colors requested (green red and blue)
> However, If I start mwm ***before*** I start my application,  suddenly
> I start getting warning messages that green and red cannot be found!!

You must be running on a 4-bit display.  Motif wants lots of colors for
it's 3-D shading effects.  And somebody in there seems to want a bunch of
grays.  Of course, one black and one white won't do.

On a 16 color display, you are lucky to have three or four left
over.  You would wanna spoil the high-priced color scheme with
homophobic greens and reds anyway would you?  My advice to stick
to various cyans and blues or better yet, just say no to Motif.
It spends more time decorating and stealing screen space than
doing what a widget set and wm should do.

Warren Tucker, TuckerWare emory!n4hgf!wht or wht@n4hgf.Mt-Park.GA.US
Hacker Extraordinaire  d' async PADs,  pods,  proteins and protocols