[comp.windows.x] Has anyone ported X11 R4 to SCO 3.2?

tony@sunrise.com (Tony Ip) (06/14/91)

As the subject says, I am interested to know if anyone has ported X11
Rev 4 to the SCO Open Desktop 3.2.

I am attempting this build and I have found I have to define either
STREAMCONN, TCPCONN or UNIXCONN. Apparently these flags are used to
specify what type of network connection and transport protocol is used
in XOpenDisplay.

Any pointers or help would be greatly appreciated.

Tony Ip
tony@sunrise.com

pinkas@almond.intel.com (Israel Pinkas) (06/14/91)

In article <1991Jun13.171306.3831@sunrise.com> tony@sunrise.com (Tony Ip) writes:

> As the subject says, I am interested to know if anyone has ported X11
> Rev 4 to the SCO Open Desktop 3.2.

> I am attempting this build and I have found I have to define either
> STREAMCONN, TCPCONN or UNIXCONN. Apparently these flags are used to
> specify what type of network connection and transport protocol is used
> in XOpenDisplay.

You probably want to use STREAMCONN.  Unfortunately, the version of
Xstreams.[ch] included in X11R4 is a very out of date version that does not
do networking properly.  You will need to rewrite this and any other OS
dependent parts.

If you are using a VGA type display card, you should use the x386 server
that has been discussed in this group.  I understand that it works well,
has decent performance, and is free.

The MIT server will not work on a VGA type display without major rewrites
of the display code, as the VGA is a bit-planar device.  The sample server
assumes a packed pixel frame buffer.

-Israel Pinkas
--
--------------------------------------
Disclaimer: The above are my personal opinions, and in no way represent

UUCP:	{amdcad,decwrl,hplabs,oliveb,pur-ee,qantel}!intelca!mipos3!st860!pinkas
ARPA:	pinkas%st860.intel.com@relay.cs.net
CSNET:	pinkas@st860.intel.com

tony@sunrise.com (Tony Ip) writes:

>As the subject says, I am interested to know if anyone has ported X11
>Rev 4 to the SCO Open Desktop 3.2.

Jim Kelly submitted a set of X11R4 patches for SCO UNIX back in October
to comp.sources.x  (volume 9, issues 87-98).

--
Conor P. Cahill            (703)430-9247        Virtual Technologies, Inc.
                                                Sterling, VA 22170

pgd@compuram.bbt.se (06/15/91)

   The MIT server will not work on a VGA type display without major rewrites
   of the display code, as the VGA is a bit-planar device.  The sample server
   assumes a packed pixel frame buffer.

There is a VGA-driver from IBM included with the X11R4 distribution.
It is working.  (after a few bug-fixes) At least I have it working on
xenix.