[comp.windows.x] A decent bitmap editor for X ??

dpg@cam-orl.uucp (Damian Gilmurray) (05/31/91)

Does anyone know of a competent public-domain bitmap editor for X which
provides more functionality (e.g. zoom, rotate, shrink/stretch etc.) and
speed than the standard distribution editor `bitmap'.

Thank you.

mayoff@cs.utexas.edu (Robert Mayoff) (06/01/91)

In article <1991May30.171237.1414@cam-orl.uucp> dpg@cam-orl.uucp (Damian Gilmurray) writes:
>Does anyone know of a competent public-domain bitmap editor for X which
>provides more functionality (e.g. zoom, rotate, shrink/stretch etc.) and
>speed than the standard distribution editor `bitmap'.

Get bitmap.new.tar.Z from export.lcs.mit.edu; it's better++ than the
bitmap editor in the standard distribution.  One flaw, though, is that
it doesn't have a man page.  To get it to work, you should install its
bitmap files in your X11/bitmaps include directory (probably something
like /usr/include/X11/bitmaps or /usr/local/include/X11/bitmaps) and
install its Bitmap.ad file in your lib/X11/app-defaults directory.
--
/_  rob		<mayoff@cs.utexas.edu>
 /_ Fun things to do with UNIX (#118 in a series):

jef@well.sf.ca.us (Jef Poskanzer) (06/08/91)

}
}Get bitmap.new.tar.Z from export.lcs.mit.edu; it's better++ than the
}bitmap editor in the standard distribution.  One flaw, though, is that
}it doesn't have a man page.

One flaw?  You only found **ONE** flaw??

- Weird argument syntax - you have to say -filename <filename>.
- No floodfill command.
- No apparent way to call the line command.
- No apparent way to write/quit - the t command doesn't work.
- Unless there's a way to make commands obey the region you set with
  control-leftmouse, no apparent clear/set/invert region commands.
- The control-middlemouse paste command is less functional than bitmap's
  copy area / move area / overlay area.
- Still slow as molasses.

Sorry, there is still no minimally functional free paint program for X.
---
Jef

  Jef Poskanzer  jef@well.sf.ca.us  {apple, ucbvax, hplabs}!well!jef
"All over the place, from the popular culture to the propaganda system,
there is constant pressure to make people feel that they are helpless,
    that the only role they can have is to ratify decisions and to
                       consume." -- Noam Chomsky

totty@flute.cs.uiuc.edu (Brian Totty) (06/08/91)

In article <25308@well.sf.ca.us>, jef@well.sf.ca.us (Jef Poskanzer) writes:
> One flaw?  You only found **ONE** flaw??
>
> - Weird argument syntax - you have to say -filename <filename>.
> - No floodfill command.
> - No apparent way to call the line command.
> - No apparent way to write/quit - the t command doesn't work.
> - Unless there's a way to make commands obey the region you set with
>   control-leftmouse, no apparent clear/set/invert region commands.
> - The control-middlemouse paste command is less functional than bitmap's
>   copy area / move area / overlay area.
> - Still slow as molasses.

	You might want to try the PixEditT program which is part of the
	Free Widgets release available on a.cs.uiuc.edu (128.174.252.1)
	in pub/fwf.shar.Z.

	This program is pretty simple (no rotate, stretch, etc.), but it does
	support scrolling, zoom, cut/copy/paste, fill, flip, invert.  It
	also can edit & save b&w & color images (color images saved to XPM2
	format).  If you like it, publicize it, so more people can hear
	about it.  If there is enough interest, I can add rotate & floodfill
	and text, and other commands...

							--- Bri

   /                      Brian Totty              o o
  /__  __  o       1304 W. Springfield Avenue       o
 /  / /   /             Urbana, IL 61801           \_/  "We have corn in
/__/ /   /             totty@cs.uiuc.edu                Massachusetts too!"

rthomson@roof.es.com (Rich Thomson) (06/09/91)

You should probably wait for R5 to hit the streets because they
rewrote bitmap as a toolkit client.

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but it should be
considered.

							-- Rich
--
  ``Read my MIPS -- no new VAXes!!'' -- George Bush after sniffing freon
	    Disclaimer: I speak for myself, except as noted.

rws@expo.lcs.mit.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (06/09/91)

    You should probably wait for R5 to hit the streets because they
    rewrote bitmap as a toolkit client.

"They" is Davor Matic, an MIT undergrad.

    I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but it should be
    considered.

The one Jef was flaming about is an earlier snapshot of the same program. :-)

jef@well.sf.ca.us (Jef Poskanzer) (06/15/91)

Brian Totty:
}	You might want to try the PixEditT program which is part of the
}	Free Widgets release available on a.cs.uiuc.edu (128.174.252.1)
}	in pub/fwf.shar.Z.

I could make another list of flaws, but since it's obviously another
preliminary version I'll refrain.  Besides, it's actually not too bad.
The only major problem is it's once again slow as molasses.  Do you folks
all have SPARC 2's?  I'm stuck with a poor old Sun 3/50, and I don't
like waiting a minute for each repaint.

}	Another advantage to using the Free Widgets pixel editor program
}	is that the program is built around a pixel editing widget.  This
}	makes the program very modular.  The goal was to isolate a "common
}	denominator" of functionality used in most image editing applications
}	(bitmap editors, paint programs, font editors, etc.) and encapsulate
}	this in one reusable module.

Actually, it's fairly easy to convert any standalone program into a
widget.  Just stick all the static variables into a struct and write a
wrapper routine.  And another approach, for something as big as an
image editor, is to leave it standalone and have the calling program
use temp files and system().  Of course, this approach doesn't work on
the microtoys, which I suspect is where most of the impetus for
humongous all-in-one programs is coming from.

Rich Thomson:
}You should probably wait for R5 to hit the streets because they
}rewrote bitmap as a toolkit client.
Bob Scheifler:
}"They" is Davor Matic, an MIT undergrad.
}The one Jef was flaming about is an earlier snapshot of the same program. :-)

Does the current version paint faster?

For an example of a simple bitmap editor with what I consider to be
minimally acceptable performance, see ftp.ee.lbl.gov:xpaint.tar.Z.
It gets its speed mainly by storing the image in three different
places: in the client, in a Pixmap, and on the screen at the current
zoom factor.  All operations must update all three copies.  For most
operations it's possible to update the two server-side copies with
judicious CopyAreas and FillRectangles.

It's still slower than MacPaint running on a an original 68000 Mac,
but this is probably about as fast as you can get under X without
something like XIE.

Xpaint is based on a minimal X toolkit called libwin, which is included
in the tarfile.  Both xpaint and libwin are "preliminary versions",
with no real documentation and a few missing features.
---
Jef

  Jef Poskanzer  jef@well.sf.ca.us  {apple, ucbvax, hplabs}!well!jef
         If you've got the whipped cream, I've got the banana.