From: Jim Ludwig <ludwig@zippy.bellcore.com>
To: info-andrew@andrew.cmu.edu
Subject: Some fixes to andrew (finally)

Ok, here are the changes I've made to andrew.  Or at least, this is the
listing
of changed files and justification.  I've sent the tar off to CMU and

maybe they can post it someplace.  If it's all right with them, I'll post it
on
expo.lcs.mit.edu, but since these aren't official, I don't want to do that

without their OK.  And, if enough people want it, versus the number of people

who say, No, Don't post such a huge thing, I can post the shar file to this

mail group.  It's 89460 bytes long, so....

Jim Ludwig

Bell Communications Research

ludwig@bellcore.com

Basically, I've only changed a few things, just in a lot of places.  In the

list below, I've listed all the files I've changed so far and what I've done
them.  These are the explanations to the notes.

1) Patches are official patches from CMU Andrew project as posted on

expo.lcs.mit.edu. There are 16 all together and I won't describe them.

2) DESTDIR.  I've put in the make files and elsewhere a macro which determines

the destination or habitat directory for andrew.  I think I got everything

except for some lines which are sort of like:

printf("You can get more help in /usr/help/foo\n");

I didn't want to rewrite code to build this type of string from the macros,

allocate or define space, etc, so I left them.  The DESDTIR is defined kind of

weird.  It's in the make files as

-DDESTDIR=\"$(DESTDIR)

This needs to be terminated by a " whenever it's used but allows and path name

after the macro.  In code, it appears as

TemplateDir = DESTDIR/lib/templates"

and so on.  To change this bugger, just set your DESTDIR in the top level

makefile and let er rip.

What I'd really like to see both in andrew and X itself, is something
searching
for an environment variable like XHOME.  For us in Bellcore, we would like to

have a company wide distribution and access to binaries but would like to
allow
folks to put the binaries whereever, without links to whereever I've built the

stuff.  The environment variable ANDREWDIR seems to go that direction.  Could

you folks finish up the work?

3)  USEGETSERV:  This was put in to save time looking up the andrew services
in
the /etc/services database.  I don't think anyone should be forced with the

port addresses provided, unless they've been registered someplace, so I
removed
all restrictions on the port ids (I hope) and the lookups just go for

console

help

mail.logger

wm

ropcon (whatever this is)

Help still doesn't work, though, that is, talking to itself.

4) Cursors:  When I first got this stuff, the cursors didn't work, and this is

my fix.  I haven't removed it to check out whether things have been fixed by

something else, so here's my version, though as I say in the diff file, I

really don't know why what I did worked.  Things seem backwards to me.  Can

someone official and knowledgable either check it out or tell me that the
fixes
for cursors on SUNs have already been taken care of? Thanks.

5) In the spirit of DESTDIR above, I've also changed the few uses of XDIR and

mentioned a few files where SRCDIR should be corrected.

6) Mail:  I had a problem with messages and sendmessages.  Apparently, when a

user kicks up a sendmessages from a messages window, things are treated a bit

differently.  When sendmessages hides, the messages window updates itself and

fills the space previously taken by sendmessages if messages is in the same

column of the window manager. Well, this is fine and dandy for a tiled window

manager, but under something like uwm, messages temporarily disappears and the

reappears in the same place and the same size.  I don't need the wait, so I
put
in a kludge.  If nothing is done, the messages window won't do anything when

the sendmessage window hides.  If you're using cwm or a tiled window manager,

you'll need to set the environment variable WM_TILED and the messages will

react the way it's supposed to.  Sorry for you folks who use cwm.  Change the

code if you want.  Really, there should be something to detect tiled/non-tiled

window managers and handle them. Cwm could also set WM_TILED for you when

brought up, maybe, though I don't like that style of fixes (hypocrite me).

./be2/basics/xcursor.c          # Patch 14

./be2/basics/xfontdesc.c        # Patch 15

./be2/basics/xgraphic.c         # Patch 16

./be2/basics/xim.c              # DESTDIR, uwm(titles), Sun Cursors,
USEGETSERV
./be2/basics/Makefile           # added for DESTDIR and USEGETSERV

./be2/basics/application.c      # added for DESTDIR

./be2/console/Makefile          # Patch P5, DESTDIR in CFLAGS

./be2/console/diskmon.c         # fs.h is in ufs/fs.h for sun 3.4

./be2/console/diskmonfreq.c     # fs.h is in ufs/fs.h for sun 3.4

./be2/console/sitevars.h        # added for DESTDIR

./be2/eq/eqmain.c               # added for DESTDIR

./be2/eq/Makefile               # added for DESTDIR in CFLAGS

./be2/ez/Makefile               # added for DESTDIR in CFLAGS

./be2/ez/ez.c                   # added for DESTDIR

./be2/ezprint/Makefile          # added for DESTDIR in CFLAGS

./be2/ezprint/ezprint.c         # added for DESTDIR

./be2/fad/Makefile              # added for DESTDIR in CFLAGS

./be2/fad/fadmain.c             # added for DESTDIR

./be2/fad/fadview.c             # added for DESTDIR and P13

./be2/hz/Makefile               # added for DESTDIR in CFLAGS

./be2/hz/help.c                 # added for DESTDIR

./be2/hz/helpapp.c              # P2

./be2/lookz/Makefile            # added for DESTDIR in CFLAGS

./be2/lookz/testview.c          # added for DESTDIR

./be2/raster/raster/Makefile    # added for DESTDIR in CFLAGS

./be2/raster/raster/rasterview.c            # added for DESTDIR

./be2/raster/raster/rasterviewtest.c        # added for DESTDIR

./be2/supportviews/Makefile     # added for DESTDIR in CFLAGS

./be2/supportviews/stringtblviewtest.c      # added for DESTDIR

./be2/table/Makefile            # added for DESTDIR in CFLAGS

./be2/table/main.c              # added for DESTDIR

./be2/termulator/Makefile       # added for DESTDIR

./be2/termulator/tm.c           # added for DESTDIR

./be2/termulator/tmapp.c        # added for DESTDIR

./be2/text/Makefile             # added for DESTDIR

./be2/text/templatelist.c       # added for DESTDIR

./be2/text/test.c               # added for DESTDIR

./be2/typescript/Makefile       # added for DESTDIR

./be2/typescript/tx.c           # added for DESTDIR

./be2/typescript/typescriptapp.c# added for DESTDIR

./be2/zip/Makefile              # added for DESTDIR

./be2/zip/zipifs01.c            # added for DESTDIR

./be2/apps/Makefile             # added for DESTDIR in CFLAGS

./be2/apps/runapp.c             # added for DESTDIR

./overhead/class/Makefile       # added for DESTDIR

./overhead/class/whichdo.c      # added for DESTDIR

./overhead/cmenu/menucursor.h   # P12

./overhead/cwm/Makefile         # added for DESTDIR

./overhead/cwm/arbitrator.c     # P1

./overhead/cwm/boxcursor.h      # P7

./overhead/cwm/cwm.c            # added for DESTDIR and XDIR in CFLAGS

./overhead/cwm/defaultcursor.h  # P8

./overhead/cwm/hbordercursor.h  # P9

./overhead/cwm/vbordercursor.h  # P10

./overhead/cwm/wheelcursor.h    # P11

./overhead/fonts/Makefile       # added for DESTDIR

./overhead/fonts/fontmanip.c    # added for DESTDIR

./overhead/libmail/mailconfig.c # added for DESTDIR

./overhead/libmail/Makefile     # added for DESTDIR

./overhead/libwmdir/Makefile    # added for DESTDIR

./overhead/libwmdir/font.c      # added for DESTDIR

./overhead/util/Makefile        # added for DESTDIR

./overhead/util/configure.c     # added for DESTDIR

./overhead/util/andrewdir.c     # added for DESTDIR

./ams/libs/machines.c           # added for DESTDIR

./ams/libs/prefetchmad.c        # added for DESTDIR

./ams/libs/flush.c              # should have added for SRCDIR

./ams/libs/prefetchmsg.c        # should have added for SRCDIR

./ams/libs/autherr.c            # should have added for SRCDIR

./ams/libs/prefetch.c           # added for DESTDIR

./ams/libs/msprinting.c         # added for DESTDIR

./ams/libs/openpipe.c           # added for DESTDIR

./ams/libs/mswp.c               # added for DESTDIR

./ams/libs/safeexit.c           # should have added for SRCDIR

./ams/libs/Makefile             # added for DESTDIR in CFLAGS

./ams/libs/cuilib.c             # added for DESTDIR

./ams/libs/initialize.c         # should really have USUALPATH set differently

./ams/messages/MessagesBE.c     # added for DESTDIR

./ams/messages/sendmessage.c    # added for DESTDIR and messages window resize

./ams/messages/Makefile         # added for DESTDIR in CFLAGS

./ams/vui/vuibase.c             # added for DESTDIR

./ams/vui/Makefile              # added for DESTDIR in CFLAGS

emuleomo@paul.rutgers.edu (Emuleomo) (06/30/90)

Hi Xworld,

I heard that the Andrew Toolkit supports non-rectangular widgets.
ie. triangular widets shapes, circles, rounded rectangles etc...
Can anybody confirm this?
Also what can I get from Andrew that I can get from HP, Athena,  Motif
or Openlook?

E-mail will be mucho appreciated!

ThanX
--Emuleomo O.O. (emuleomo@yes.rutgers.edu)
--
Remember! It doesn't matter if you win or lose, as long as you win!

etaylor@wilkins.iaims.bcm.tmc.edu (Eric Taylor) (01/03/91)

One of our X hackers experimented with the Andrew Toolkit
and reported that it actually tried to 'connect' with the
machine that the server was running on.  She left, however,
before I got a chance to look at the behavior.

	Is this actually TRUE ??!!
	With all of the X terminals with no
		compute ability, how in the
		world do the makers of the
		Andrew Toolkit expect their
		product to survive?
--
					Eric Taylor
					Baylor College of Medicine

mss+@andrew.cmu.edu (Mark Sherman) (01/04/91)

Excerpts from netnews.comp.windows.x: 3-Jan-91 Andrew Toolkit Eric
Taylor@wilkins.iaim (506)

> Is this actually TRUE ??!!

Short answer: No. We and many other places use ATK on X terminals. See
info-andrew mailing list for more information.

		-Mark

datri@convex.com (Anthony A. Datri) (01/04/91)

>One of our X hackers experimented with the Andrew Toolkit
>and reported that it actually tried to 'connect' with the
>machine that the server was running on.

Well, what does "connect" mean?

>	Is this actually TRUE ??!!

Not in whatever sense she's thinking.

>	With all of the X terminals with no
>		compute ability, how in the
>		world do the makers of the
>		Andrew Toolkit expect their
>		product to survive?

I've definitely seen the ATK stuff run against
an NCD from a Sun.  You need to put the fonts in place, though, unless
you want things to look distinctly strange.

The ITC likely cares little about X terminals, since their focus from the
beginning has been on large-scale, integrated environments, using
workstations.

Helvetica -- just say NO!  ( it's no coincidence that it's named HELLvetica )

mbartucc@Teknowledge.COM (Michael Bartucca) (06/19/91)

I'm interested in talking to GUI developers using the Andrew ToolKit.
If you have, please post or email to me at mbartucc@teknowledge.com
or call at 415-424-0500 X439

-Mike Bartucca