[comp.windows.x] Mac System 7.0 vs. Unix

larryc@puente.jpl.nasa.gov (Larry Carroll) (06/08/91)

This is a kind of silly thing to ask, but my supervisor doesn't think so:
How does Apple's System 7.0 operating system compare with Unix?
(So far it seems like the biggest change to the Apple OS is cosmetic.)

jba@gorm.ruc.dk (Jan B. Andersen) (06/12/91)

larryc@puente.jpl.nasa.gov (Larry Carroll) writes:

>This is a kind of silly thing to ask, but my supervisor doesn't think so:
>How does Apple's System 7.0 operating system compare with Unix?
It don't!
--
      /|  / Jan B. Andersen                        /^^^\     .----------------.
     / | /  RUC, Hus 19,1     jba@dat.ruc.dk      { o_o }    | SIMULA does it |

chappell@witchcraft.sf.ca.us (Tom Chappell) (06/13/91)

larryc@puente.jpl.nasa.gov (Larry Carroll) writes:

>This is a kind of silly thing to ask, but my supervisor doesn't think so:
>How does Apple's System 7.0 operating system compare with Unix?
>(So far it seems like the biggest change to the Apple OS is cosmetic.)

Man, oh man, I can't believe you just said that. I won't bother with a full
list, but apart from the "cosmetic" changes, System 7 includes:

1. Peer-To-Peer networking via AppleTalk (LocalTalk, TokenTalk, or EtherTalk)
   built in to the system software.  It's there, on every Macintosh, right
   down to the Macintosh Classic.

2. Inter-Application Communication, INCLUDING IAC BETWEEN APPLICATIONS RUNNING
   ON DIFFERENT COMPUTERS.

3. Support for File, Folder, and Volume Aliases, similar to UNIX links, except
   that the operating system retains the concept of where the "real" copy of
   the item is.  As with IAC above, these Aliases can reach ACROSS THE NETWORK.

4. Publish and Subscribe.  One Macintosh user selects a portion of a document,
   say the first draft of a budget or drawing, and creates a Publisher based
   on that item.  Other documents, again possibly running on other Macintoshes,
   can Subscribe, and will be automatically updated as the original is changed.

5. Virtual Memory. Allows Macintosh users to actually run several applications
   at once.  In the bad old days, MultiFinder wasn't really very useful,
   because a user would run out of memory right away. No more! Only works
   on the Macintosh II line, and because the original II is a 68020 instead
   of a 68030, you need to purchase an MMU, but there's a socket for it already
   on the motherboard.

6. No More Finder. In the bad old days, there was a Finder and a MultiFinder.
   Not very often, but often enough to be really, really annoying, software
   developers would ship their "products" with instructions to run it under
   the Finder (No MultiFinder Support).  Well, those guys are going to clean
   up their act really fast, because the UniFinder is gone - the Finder now
   behaves the way the MultiFinder used to. Process control has been beefed up
   as well.

7. Apple Events. System 7 now provides a standard method for applications to
   designate each of the commands that they are capable of. New versions of
   applications written for System 7 use these standard "Apple Events" to
   effect most or all of their own commands.  There are standard events, such
   as "Get ready for a System Shutdown" and each program also has many custom
   Apple Events, which the developers make public in the Apple Event Registry.
   One program can then send an Apple Event to another, telling it to do
   whatever it wants it to do.  A backup program could ask a virus-checking
   program to inspect the file that it had just restored.  A word processor
   could ask a spelling checker to do examine a certain portion of a document.
   A new version of the QuickKeys macro program from CE Software will be
   available very soon that exploits Apple Events.

   And, of course, the two programs can be running on different machines on the
   network.

I might add that all of this stuff has been added so seamlessly that your
impression is, "It seems like the biggest change to the Apple OS is cosmetic."

Next time, try posting questions about the Macintosh to one of the Mac news
groups.

gene@segue.segue.com (Gene Hightower) (06/15/91)

This should go someplace other then comp.windows.x.

In article <1068@witch.witchcraft.sf.ca.us> chappell@witchcraft.sf.ca.us (Tom Chappell) writes:

>larryc@puente.jpl.nasa.gov (Larry Carroll) writes:
>>This is a kind of silly thing to ask, but my supervisor doesn't think so:
>>How does Apple's System 7.0 operating system compare with Unix?
                                               ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

So lets compare it with Unix.  First let me say that by "Unix" I am
talking about SunOS 4.x and HP-UX from first hand knowlage.  I can't
speak for all the systems that are (or have ever been) called Unix.

>Man, oh man, I can't believe you just said that. I won't bother with a full
>list, but apart from the "cosmetic" changes, System 7 includes:
>
>1. Peer-To-Peer networking via AppleTalk (LocalTalk, TokenTalk, or EtherTalk)
>2. Inter-Application Communication, INCLUDING IAC BETWEEN APPLICATIONS RUNNING

Unix systems have networking.  NFS provides file sharing, but there
are lots of ways that Unix systems use the ability to network.  With a
window system such as X, programs can run on one machine and display
graphics on the screen of another machine.  The X window system is not
unique to Unix, but the Mac OS makes it hard to build more then the
server side of the system.  In other words, to use Macintish A you
have to sit in front of Mac A and use it's keyboard and screen.  You
can't access its CPU power from another computer.

>3. Support for File, Folder, and Volume Aliases, similar to UNIX links, except

The same as "symbolic" links.  Symbolic links can point to files on
other filesystems and via NFS to files on remote machines.

>4. Publish and Subscribe.  One Macintosh user selects a portion of a document,

This feature is mostly a feature of the application you are running,
i.e. the drawing or word processing program.  System 7 may provide
support to such operations, but it does not provide the operations
directly.

Unix applications have had the OS support (in the form of IPC) for
some time.

>5. Virtual Memory. Allows Macintosh users to actually run several applications

Well, almost virtual memory.  All of the programs run in the same
address space.  The programs don't move around.  If you run programs
A, B and C and program B needs more space, you are out of luck.  You
could give each program a huge block of address space, but it's not as
good as each program having its own space.

Another problem with this way of doing things is that one program can
screw up not only itself, but any other program on the system, or the
OS itself.

System 7 also swaps to the filesystem.  This has drawbacks.  Speed
mostly.  OS/2 does this also.  The big reason is that folks can
upgrade to the new virtual memory OS without rearanging hard disk
space.

>6. No More Finder. In the bad old days, there was a Finder and a MultiFinder.

This is taking away a feature.

>7. Apple Events. System 7 now provides a standard method for applications to

This sounds like another form of IPC.  Sounds like points 1, 2, 4 and
7 are all interprocess communication.  Unix has this.

>I might add that all of this stuff has been added so seamlessly that your
>impression is, "It seems like the biggest change to the Apple OS is cosmetic."

I didn't see that many cosmetic changes in 7 anyhow.  I would have
liked to.  The monochrome flat look of the scrollbars and buttons is
looking out of date next to the 3-D and color stuff showing up in OPEN
LOOK, Motif and NextStep.

>Next time, try posting questions about the Macintosh to one of the Mac news
>groups.

I don't get the Mac related newgroups, so I have not moved this thred.--
   Gene Hightower

dsr@mitre.org (Douglas S. Rand) (06/17/91)

In article <7871@segue.segue.com> gene@segue.segue.com (Gene Hightower) writes:

   This should go someplace other then comp.windows.x.

I agree but there is some applicability.

   In article <1068@witch.witchcraft.sf.ca.us> chappell@witchcraft.sf.ca.us (Tom Chappell) writes:

   >larryc@puente.jpl.nasa.gov (Larry Carroll) writes:
   >>This is a kind of silly thing to ask, but my supervisor doesn't think so:
   >>How does Apple's System 7.0 operating system compare with Unix?
						  ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

   So lets compare it with Unix.  First let me say that by "Unix" I am
   talking about SunOS 4.x and HP-UX from first hand knowlage.  I can't
   speak for all the systems that are (or have ever been) called Unix.

I've used BSD, SUN and SYSV,  I've also used Macs for a long time.

   >Man, oh man, I can't believe you just said that. I won't bother with a full
   >list, but apart from the "cosmetic" changes, System 7 includes:
   >
   >1. Peer-To-Peer networking via AppleTalk (LocalTalk, TokenTalk, or EtherTalk)
   >2. Inter-Application Communication, INCLUDING IAC BETWEEN APPLICATIONS RUNNING

   Unix systems have networking.  NFS provides file sharing, but there
   are lots of ways that Unix systems use the ability to network.  With a
   window system such as X, programs can run on one machine and display
   graphics on the screen of another machine.  The X window system is not
   unique to Unix, but the Mac OS makes it hard to build more then the
   server side of the system.  In other words, to use Macintish A you
   have to sit in front of Mac A and use it's keyboard and screen.  You
   can't access its CPU power from another computer.

Not true.  An application called Timbuktu does exactly this.  Also X is not
UNIX is not X.  X is a protocol,  X runs on VMS and even my old OS PRIMOS.
It isn't clear to me why running X clients on a Mac would
make any sense anyway.  The major use for X is as a server to allow a
user to run applications which require special resources on another machine.
The MAC is hardly a compute resource.

Apple's file sharing is much kinder then NFS.  NFS has lots of flaws and
if you want a list I'll send it.  Apple doesn't require the user to
know what's going on.  Most UNIX networking is not very sophisticated
and takes place right at the TCP or UDP layers,  and don't tell me about
OSI since I know it's a commie plot ( large grin here ).

   >3. Support for File, Folder, and Volume Aliases, similar to UNIX links, except

   The same as "symbolic" links.  Symbolic links can point to files on
   other filesystems and via NFS to files on remote machines.

Not the same.  Apple's aliases are just like symbolic links for files on
the same machine, but for files on a different machine they store all the
information to find that specific file.  UNIX requires much to have this
work (for example, setting up the automounter on SUN OS).

   >4. Publish and Subscribe.  One Macintosh user selects a portion of a document,

   This feature is mostly a feature of the application you are running,
   i.e. the drawing or word processing program.  System 7 may provide
   support to such operations, but it does not provide the operations
   directly.

This is a non-trivial support job.  I have yet to see any Unix applications
supporting live links.  It really is helpful for a hardware vendor to
specify how such things should work.  It binds the different software
suppliers to one mind of how to do the work.

Apple has been the most successful example of this to date.  There
really isn't anything in the Mac that requires all Mac applications
to look the same.  They could choose not to have, for example, the
menu bar.  But Inside Mac says you shall do it and I don't remember the
last application I ran, if ever, which didn't.

   Unix applications have had the OS support (in the form of IPC) for
   some time.

Right.  Just go look at the work done on even the current ICCCM work
in X11R4 and tell me that this approaches the ease of use of the Mac
clipboard.  On the Mac I can take and cut something from app A and
paste into app B and usually not loose very much.  At worst the
cut becomes a PICT resource.

IPC on UNIX is very non-standard.  You have Berkeley (SUN) RPC on quite
a few machines.  You have NCS on others.  The two don't interoperate.
The only absolute guarantee on all workstations is TCP/IP and even
that might not exist on some older Apollo boxes (with Domain) or
(not up to date on this one) some VAX stations with DECNET.

   >5. Virtual Memory. Allows Macintosh users to actually run several applications

   Well, almost virtual memory.  All of the programs run in the same
   address space.  The programs don't move around.  If you run programs
   A, B and C and program B needs more space, you are out of luck.  You
   could give each program a huge block of address space, but it's not as
   good as each program having its own space.

It has VM.  It doesn't yet have some other memory management features
and memory protection isn't yet turned on.  The inability to move programs
around suprises me though.  You sure?

   Another problem with this way of doing things is that one program can
   screw up not only itself, but any other program on the system, or the
   OS itself.

Not a necessary limitation on a MAC with a PMMU or a 68030 or better.  But
Apple hasn't turned it on yet.

   System 7 also swaps to the filesystem.  This has drawbacks.  Speed
   mostly.  OS/2 does this also.  The big reason is that folks can
   upgrade to the new virtual memory OS without rearanging hard disk
   space.

This is a red herring.  The SUN OS does this also.  You can definitely use
the filesystem for swapping without incurring (serious) performance
problems.  After all, the OS can superoptimize the swapping file,
for example, make all the blocks contiguous as Sun does.

Oh well.  That's enough comments for me.  Someone else can comment on the
rest.
--
Douglas S. Rand
Internet:   <dsrand@mitre.org>

sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) (06/18/91)

In article <7871@segue.segue.com> gene@segue.segue.com (Gene Hightower) writes:
>>1. Peer-To-Peer networking via AppleTalk (LocalTalk, TokenTalk, or EtherTalk)
>>2. Inter-Application Communication, INCLUDING IAC BETWEEN APPLICATIONS RUNNING

>Unix systems have networking.

Networking is one of UNIX's strong points.  It does it very well,
and very thoroughly.

AppleTalk??  What good is that except to talk to another Apple?
UNIX supports *at* *least* TCP/IP, which is the de facto industry
standard for internetworks - this means that UNIX networking will talk
to many non-UNIX boxes (like, IBM PC's, Amiga's, &c.)  Try *that* with
a Mac!

Many UNIX systems also support SNA and DECNET.  This adds IBM mainframes
and DEC minis to the list of available connections.

>>5. Virtual Memory. Allows Macintosh users to actually run several applications
>
>Well, almost virtual memory.  All of the programs run in the same
>address space.

Just to make sure this is clear - most UNIX systems not only support
Virtual Memory, they give each process its own seperate address space,
with full protection.

And *all* UNIX systems, even the oldest, most antiquated ones, support
running multiple applications at one time.  UNIX was the first OS
to do this on anything other than a mainframe.
--
---------------
uunet!tdatirv!sarima				(Stanley Friesen)

[This is no longer about X.  I'm redirecting followups to
comp.protocols.misc.]

In article <46@tdatirv.UUCP> sarima@tdatirv.UUCP (Stanley Friesen) writes:
>AppleTalk??  What good is that except to talk to another Apple?
>UNIX supports *at* *least* TCP/IP, which is the de facto industry
>standard for internetworks - this means that UNIX networking will talk
>to many non-UNIX boxes (like, IBM PC's, Amiga's, &c.)  Try *that* with
>a Mac!

Where have you been?  MacTCP has been around for at least a year, and
before that, NCSA Telnet had a self-contained TCP/IP implementation.

There are also AppleTalk implementations for non-Apple systems; there's
nothing Apple-hardware-specific about the AppleTalk protocol.  Our Unix
systems run Columbia Appletalk (CAP) so that they can send files to laser
printers on LocalTalk networks.

And there are standalone devices that perform high-level protocol
translation.  For instance, Cayman Gatorboxes can translate AFP to NFS and
LPD to Appletalk's printing protocol.
--
Barry Margolin, Thinking Machines Corp.

barmar@think.com
{uunet,harvard}!think!barmar

jhp@apss.ab.ca (Herbert Presley) (06/19/91)

In article <1068@witch.witchcraft.sf.ca.us> chappell@witchcraft.sf.ca.us (Tom Chappell) writes:
>larryc@puente.jpl.nasa.gov (Larry Carroll) writes:
>
>>This is a kind of silly thing to ask, but my supervisor doesn't think so:
>
>Next time, try posting questions about the Macintosh to one of the Mac news
>groups.

Why?  Since the individual was asking for a comparison between UNIX and MAC,
doesn't it make sense that he would ask in a UNIX group??  Huh??

DISCLAIMER: Any views expressed here are mine alone and
	    do not represent those of this organization
    email : jhp@apss.ab.ca
     mail : 10320 - 146 St., Edmonton, Alberta, Canada  T5N 3A2                     phone : (403) 451-7151