[comp.windows.x] xdmcp menu

fct@raybed2.msd.ray.com (Fred Thompson) (06/21/91)

We currently have some Visual X terminals running xdmcp. They put a broadcast
out on the network and then provide a window of all hosts that respond.
The user can then pick a host to connect to. Is there something like this
for workstations.
--
Fred Thompson,   ...!samsung!swlvx2!fct  or  fct@swlvx2.msd.ray.com
Raytheon Co,     Missile Systems Division, Tewksbury, Mass. 01876

brtmac@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu (Brett McCoy) (06/21/91)

In <2357@raybed2.msd.ray.com> fct@raybed2.msd.ray.com (Fred Thompson) writes:

>We currently have some Visual X terminals running xdmcp. They put a broadcast
>out on the network and then provide a window of all hosts that respond.
>The user can then pick a host to connect to. Is there something like this
>for workstations.

I'm not sure if this is what Fred is talking about, but I'm looking for
something similar.  We have 3 Sun 3/60's that I am trying set up to work
as X terminals.  Right now I have the X server running on the 3/60 and have
xdm running on our Solbourne displaying an Xlogin on the 3/60.  This works
mostly okay most of the time.  However, when the 3/60 gets rebooted, or
when something doesn't go quite right, things hang and aren't easily
recovered.  What I'd prefer is to have a program that ran on the 3/60
that would make it act more like an Xterminal, meaning that it would
send out an xdmcp broadcast message and then do like the above and put
a menu up for the user to select from.

I can probably write such a critter, given the time to figure out the
xdmcp protocol, but if something already exists I'd prefer not to have
to write it again.

Thanx!

--
Brett McCoy			Computing and Telecommunications Activities
brtmac@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu	Kansas State University

tim@cs.wisc.edu (Tim Theisen) (06/21/91)

In article <1991Jun21.071152.23514@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu>, brtmac@maverick.ksu.ksu.edu (Brett McCoy) writes:
|> We have 3 Sun 3/60's that I am trying set up to work
|> as X terminals.  Right now I have the X server running on the 3/60 and have
|> xdm running on our Solbourne displaying an Xlogin on the 3/60.  This works
|> mostly okay most of the time.  However, when the 3/60 gets rebooted, or
|> when something doesn't go quite right, things hang and aren't easily
|> recovered.  What I'd prefer is to have a program that ran on the 3/60
|> that would make it act more like an Xterminal, meaning that it would
|> send out an xdmcp broadcast message and then do like the above and put
|> a menu up for the user to select from.
|>
|> I can probably write such a critter, given the time to figure out the
|> xdmcp protocol, but if something already exists I'd prefer not to have
|> to write it again.

The X server already understands XDMCP.  You just have to tell it to query
the Solbourne for XDM service.  To do this, use the -query option for Xsun
in your sbin/init file.  Do not put an entry for the Sun 3/60 in the Xservers
file on the Solbourne.  Here is the invocation of Xsun from my init file:

exec Xsun :0 -query $(< /etc/xdm.$hostname) > /dev/null 2>&1

This gets the name of the host from the file /etc/xdm.xterminalname.  Each
xterminal can query a different host if you like.  (Note: we have replaced
/bin/sh with ksh.  The Bourne shell won't understand the above line.)
If you just have a single host for xdm service, use the following:

exec Xsun :0 -query Solbourne > /dev/null 2>&1

Hope this helps,  ...Tim
--
          Tim Theisen           Systems Programmer
Internet: tim@cs.wisc.edu       Department of Computer Sciences