[net.news] Yet another view on the death of the "soapbox groups"

rfg@hound.UUCP (R.GRANTGES) (06/03/86)

It seems to be a common human failing that we like to complain about
the other guys failings while ignoring our own. For example, here I
am lecturing to the great and powerful who run net.news while I am
a next to know nothing about the whole shebang. Be that as it may,
let me observe that it seems a mite peculiar to me that you folks
are out their about to "fix" the users misuse of the net by organizing
the so-called "soapbox groups" out of existence, while the net
itself appears to continue to deteriorate technically.  Why is it,
for example, that the so-called line eater bug still seems to exist?
Why is it that multiple transmissions of articles are occurring with
increasing frequency?  Why is it that articles reflecting back to their
point of origin seem to be occurring more and more frequently?  Surely
these latter two faults, at least, are contributing to the traffic
problem. I originate very few articles. Yet, when I do, I see them come back
to me over and over again.
I suggest that this is a case where it is easier and more fun to remove
the dust particle from your brothers eye while ignoring the beam in your own.
--

"It's the thought, if any, that counts!"  Dick Grantges  hound!rfg

fair@styx.UUCP (Erik E. Fair) (06/03/86)

I don't know about you, Mr. Grantges, but I fix the problems that are
within my powers to fix.

I can do nothing about the increasing tide of mediocrity in the
so-called `technical' groups except exhort those responsible to employ
their gray matter with more frequency. (and perhaps retire to
intelligently moderated newsgroups).

I can do nothing about the legions of pinheaded system administrators
who have neither the time to educate their users, nor the time to run
current software, but do have the time to flame at other people for
suggesting that they update their ancient software or educate that
particularly annoying user at their site.

I can and will assist the backbone in any way that I deem reasonable
to lower their costs and system loads, and increase the reliability
and speed of the network through the nodes where I either administrate
or have influence.

For the record, on the systems where I can do something, the
establishment of a list of talk.* groups will be nothing more than a
rename; the users that I serve clearly think the listed groups are
worth reading, and therefore I will continue to pass those groups
around under whatever names the network community decides.

	Erik E. Fair	ucbvax!fair	fair@ucbarpa.berkeley.edu
			styx!fair	fair@lll-tis-b.arpa

ecl@mtgzy.UUCP (e.c.leeper) (06/04/86)

> let me observe that it seems a mite peculiar to me that you folks
> are out their about to "fix" the users misuse of the net by organizing
> the so-called "soapbox groups" out of existence, while the net
> itself appears to continue to deteriorate technically.  Why is it,
> for example, that the so-called line eater bug still seems to exist?
> Why is it that multiple transmissions of articles are occurring with
> increasing frequency?  Why is it that articles reflecting back to their
> point of origin seem to be occurring more and more frequently?

Read "F for Frankenstein" by Arthur C. Clarke or "A Subway Named Moebius"
by A. J. Deutsch for the *real* answer! :-)

					Evelyn C. Leeper
					...ihnp4!mtgzy!ecl
					(or ihnp4!mtgzz!ecl)

Bureaucracy is a giant mechanism operated by pygmies. --Honore de Balzac

tanner@ki4pv.UUCP (Tanner Andrews) (06/05/86)

) styx!fair writes:
) I can do nothing about the legions of pinheaded system administrators
) who have nether ... nor the time to run current software ...

OK, wise guy.  That tears it.  I'm as tired of the ancient software as
you are.  Tell me: What decade will 2.10.3 come out.  Seems like it's
been "beta" for a fairly long time.

When it comes out, (if we live so long), tell me the name of the
nearest site which can supply me with a copy of the thing.

					tanner andrews, systems
					compudata south, deland
--
<std dsclm, copies upon request>	   Tanner Andrews

spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) (06/19/86)

In article <6910@ki4pv.UUCP> tanner@ki4pv.UUCP (Tanner Andrews) writes:
>) styx!fair writes:
>) I can do nothing about the legions of pinheaded system administrators
>) who have nether ... nor the time to run current software ...
>
>OK, wise guy.  That tears it.  I'm as tired of the ancient software as
>you are.  Tell me: What decade will 2.10.3 come out.  Seems like it's
>been "beta" for a fairly long time.
>
>When it comes out, (if we live so long), tell me the name of the
>nearest site which can supply me with a copy of the thing.

As was announced at Usenix last week, news 2.11 will be released
1 August 1986.  It will be published to mod.sources, and it will be
available for uucp and ftp from most of the major backbone sites at
that time.  2.10.3 will never be officially released -- we're going
directly to 2.11.

Rick Adams has been pretty constantly adding enhancements and fixes to the
software for the past year and a half.  I don't believe that it has ever
stabilized to the point where Rick was happy to release it to public use.

"Ancient" is sites STILL running 2.10, 2.10.1, and even 2.9 and A-news.
2.10.2 has been out for about 2 years.  What is the excuse of sites
that haven't upgraded?
--
Gene Spafford
Software Engineering Research Center (SERC), Georgia Tech, Atlanta GA 30332

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (06/20/86)

In article <3911@gatech.CSNET> spaf@gatech.UUCP (Gene Spafford) writes:
>"Ancient" is sites STILL running 2.10, 2.10.1, and even 2.9 and A-news.
>2.10.2 has been out for about 2 years.  What is the excuse of sites
>that haven't upgraded?

2.10.2 was pretty buggy and hard to install. All the (many) versions
of 2.10.3, however, went in with almost no work. I think Rick has been
doing a good job, although I know many people have been impatient for
2.10.3.

--
 They really know how to make air conditioners in Atlanta.
 Unfortunately their thermostats aren't nearly as good.

 Phil Ngai +1 408 749 5720
 ARPA: amdcad!phil@decwrl.dec.com

gds@sri-spam.ARPA (The lost Bostonian) (06/20/86)

In article <3911@gatech.CSNET>, spaf@gatech.CSNET (Gene Spafford) writes:
> "Ancient" is sites STILL running 2.10, 2.10.1, and even 2.9 and A-news.
> 2.10.2 has been out for about 2 years.  What is the excuse of sites
> that haven't upgraded?

Not every site is at liberty to change their software when a new release
is out.  There can be factors involved to prevent this.  For example,
where I used to work, we had to keep the same software on all the
machines we administrated for ease of administration.  That meant that
all the software had to work on all the machines before it could be
installed.  Also there was the issue of support -- because we wanted to
get out of the business of supporting news, we were trying to run the
exptools version of news (if you don't understand this, this is a
version of news that lots of sites in AT&T run).  Well, we made it as
far as 22 out of 25 machines that we could successfully install it on,
but the remaining three did not have enough disk space, and the machine
owners refused to reconfigure their disks.  So, no exptools (it was
2.10.2 back then, current at the time we tried to switch over).

I'm sure others have stories to tell about how they could not install
the new news for administrative reasons.  Before you start to insult us
consider our special situations.

--gregbo

phil@amdcad.UUCP (Phil Ngai) (06/21/86)

In article <5946@sri-spam.ARPA> gds@sri-spam.ARPA (The lost Bostonian) writes:
>version of news that lots of sites in AT&T run).  Well, we made it as
>far as 22 out of 25 machines that we could successfully install it on,
>but the remaining three did not have enough disk space, and the machine
>owners refused to reconfigure their disks.  So, no exptools (it was
>2.10.2 back then, current at the time we tried to switch over).

This sounds like a good reason for introducing an incompatible version
of news every year.