[comp.windows.x] Record and Playback in X

antonson@software.org (Todd S. Antonson) (06/19/91)

Hi,

I was wondering if there is a utility available that would
record and playback all events from a X session.

We would like to be able to record events and sotre them and
at a later time, rerun the session automatically.

Has anybody written anything like this?

Todd S. Antonson                    |
Software Productivity Consortium    |UUCP : ..!uunet!software!antonson
SPC Building -- 2214 Rock Hill Road |CSNET: antonson@software.org
Herndon, Virginia 22070             |

nrd@redwood22.cray.com (Neal Dalton) (06/20/91)

In article <1991Jun18.181058.17175@software.org>, antonson@software.org (Todd S. Antonson) writes:
> I was wondering if there is a utility available that would
> record and playback all events from a X session.
>
> We would like to be able to record events and sotre them and
> at a later time, rerun the session automatically.
>
> Has anybody written anything like this?

There are some mods to the Xserver and a couple of programs that allow
you to do this.  It is called Xtrap.  I would jump on archie and find
its ftp sites.

I works very well.

____
Neal  /\    /   _     /   \|||/                   Neal Dalton
     /  \  / _  _\   /   /     \                  Cray Research, inc
    /    \/_</_(_/\_/   (  o o  )                 655-F Lone Oak Dr.
                         \  ^  /                  Eagan, MN 55121
                          \ 0 /
Internet: nrd@cray.com     \_/                    Fax:   (612) 683-5599
    uucp: uunet!cray!nrd                          Phone: (612) 683-5607

rusti@erg.sri.com (Rusti Baker) (06/25/91)

In article <143455.12711@timbuk.cray.com> nrd@cray.com writes:

>In article <1991Jun18.181058.17175@software.org>, antonson@software.org (Todd S. Antonson) writes:
>> I was wondering if there is a utility available that would
>> record and playback all events from a X session.
>>
>> We would like to be able to record events and sotre them and
>> at a later time, rerun the session automatically.
>>
>> Has anybody written anything like this?
>
>There are some mods to the Xserver and a couple of programs that allow
>you to do this.  It is called Xtrap.  I would jump on archie and find
>its ftp sites.

Also look at the X test extension. It allows the client to control
handling of input events, and also allows the client to generate user
input events later for a playback.

It is in the R4 distribution.

--
Rusti Baker                          <rusti@erg.sri.com>
SRI Engineering Research Group       (415) 859-2318