[comp.windows.x] HELP !!! : X won't work

archao@uniwa.uwa.oz (Arshad Omari) (06/20/91)

HELP :-( !!!

I have just compiled and installed X11R4 on my IPC Network.
But when I try to execute xinit to test the setup, i get the
following error :

ld.so: libXmu.so.4: not found

after checking /usr/lib, the file does exist but as libXmu.so.4.0

What is causing this error????

Arshad Omari
School of Architecture
University of Western Australia
:-{

fkk@stasys.sta.sub.org (Frank Kaefer) (06/21/91)

archao@uniwa.uwa.oz (Arshad Omari) writes:

|ld.so: libXmu.so.4: not found
|after checking /usr/lib, the file does exist but as libXmu.so.4.0
|What is causing this error????

[Just another FAQ]

You just have to do a /usr/etc/ldconfig as root.

Cheers,
Frank
--
| Frank Kaefer | fkk@stasys.sta.sub.org | Starnberg, Germany |
| Compuserve: 72427,2101   | Internet: fkk@Germany.Sun.COM   |

rchui@neptune.nswc.navy.mil (Chui) (06/22/91)

	You got the big trouble! You have all libX*.a, libX*.os files in /usr/lib
but you haven't convert to shared libraies yet. To convert them into shared
libraries, type "ranlib filename". Then I think you have to recompiler the
X11R4, no fun at all!

>You have all libX*.a, libX*.os files in /usr/lib but you haven't convert
>to shared libraies yet.

Well, you meant "libX*.so files"; the ".so" files *are* shared
libraries, and he *did* have them.

>To convert them into shared libraries, type "ranlib filename".

	auspex% ranlib /usr/lib/libc.so.1.3
	not an archive: /usr/lib/libc.so.1.3

Try again.  Running "ranlib" on a shared library produces only the above
completely justified complaint from "ranlib"; "ranlib" only does things
to archive, i.e. UNshared, libraries.  It doesn't do anything to shared
libraries, and isn't necessary to "convert" anything to a shared
library.