[comp.windows.x] SAMMI

paulet@terre.matra-espace.fr (Pascal PAULET 6109 FAMI2) (06/25/91)

In article Message-Id: <9102121448.AA01746@smithkline.com>, Frank Tobin wrote:

>Has anyone had experience with a GUI-builder called Sammi from a company
>called Kinesix?
>
>Frank Tobin
>tobin@smithkline.com

We tested the alpha release of SAMMI some months ago. SAMMI is composed
of two main parts:

. FRED, the format editor, is a graphical editor which lets you build your
GUI. It provides classical objects of a toolkit (in this case, it was XUI)
plus dynamic objects such as gauges, meters, bars, trends, ... It generates
files with a special format.

. SAMMI, the format interpreter, is a group of X11 processes that interprete
the content of the FRED files and display them. This approach saves central
memory but makes you depend on a run-time.

When you have to animate dynamic objects, you develop a so-called data server
which is a UNIX process speaking SAMMI protocol with the SAMMI processes
through RPC. We did not find the implementation of a data server to be
a very easy task. We experienced a long learning curve mainly due to the fact
that the documentation was not sufficient. Nevertheless, once you have
writen one or two data servers (there are two models), they all have
the same skeletton; it becomes more automatic.

Kinesix is actually releasing Version 1.0 and they also have announced
Version 2.0 with Motif within a very short period.  We also received
Version 1.0 for evaluation but did not have time yet to go through it. What
I can tell you is that a special effort has been made on the documentation.

To get more info, please contact:

Kinesix,
Robert S. Franck,
10333 Richmond Avenue,