[comp.windows.x] 3D Widgets

schueler@venus.berlin.mpg.dbp.de (Dierk Schueler) (09/07/88)

Hallo,

having a Vaxstation 8000 with X11.1 and integrated 3D graphics we would
like to implement a set of 3D widgets. Has anybody out there done something
similar???

Dierk Schueler
Max Planck Institut fuer Molekulare Genetik
Ihnestrasse 73
1000 Berlin 33

Email schueler@venus.berlin.mpg.dbp.de (German DFN)
Tel. 030 - 8307 381

turner@daisy.UUCP (Jim Turner) (09/09/88)

At Xhibition HP stated that:

1. they had done a set of 3D widget 'extensions' to the PD HP widget
set and that they were not free (and therefore not PD).

2. they were seeking a patent/copywrite (boo.. hisss etc.) for the use
of color in making the widgets appear 3D.

The speaker was not sure of the wording of what they were seeking a
patent for but I believe that I have gotten the jist of it.

Please do NOT start a flame war on the ethics/philosophy/whatever
of HP doing that, if you must flame me for my editorial comment,
send me email and I will summarize to the net, there is enough
traffic here as is.....

If on the other hand, I have stated the above incorrectly please
post a correction or clarification.

(It's before coffee)

--
Can this wait until after I've had my coffee ???
...{decwrl|ucbvax}!imagen!atari!daisy!turner (James M. Turner)

burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Anthony Burzio) (09/11/88)

In article <1589@daisy.UUCP>, turner@daisy.UUCP (Jim Turner) writes:

> At Xhibition HP stated that:
>
> 1. they had done a set of 3D widget 'extensions' to the PD HP widget
> set and that they were not free (and therefore not PD).
>
> 2. they were seeking a patent/copywrite (boo.. hisss etc.) for the use
> of color in making the widgets appear 3D.

HP has been burned before.  They are just being careful.  Their
representative *did* state that they were just doing this to
cover their *.  The widget set itself (the important part) is already
public domain.  As soon as HP has given the lawyers enough money, I
am sure the 3D widgets will be public too, given past HP actions.
I saw the 3D widgets, and they were cute, but a choice of color
(everyone likes different colors) will usually destroy the 3Dishness (?)
of the widget.  Well, I guess we should use the 2D widget set for the
time being and wait to see about 3D.  It sure beats DEC, who won't let their
widget set out at all.  Consider THAT in your next purchase of hardware...

Tony Burzio                  * Windows?
Martin Marietta Laboratories * You want me to do windows too?

price@WSL.DEC.COM (09/13/88)

> ...It sure beats DEC, who won't let their
> widget set out at all.  Consider THAT in your next purchase of
> hardware...

WRONG. ABSOLUTELY AND COMPLETELY WRONG. Digital's DECwindows Widget Set
is available by licensing the XUI package. Your cost as an ISV? Cost of
media, same as MIT charges. With it you get a source license. But you
get MUCH MUCH more than just a widget set. You get the UIL compiler
and run-time system, an ICCCM compliant window manager, and a session
manager. All components conform to the DECwindows Style Guide, a
document which has been honed for over 2 years by industrial designers
and Digital's system and product development teams.

Digital is pre-porting the package to a number of platforms to insure that
it will indeed be portable among most Unix flavors by merely recompiling
the software. The intent is that software vendors have production quality,
consistent user interface tools across all platforms they encounter. It is
a goal of the DECwindows program in particular, and our Unix/OSF strategy
in general *not* to lock software vendors into a proprietary, or unsupported,
or low quality system. There are NO Digital-exclusive (non-licensable) APIs
in the DECwindows system.

Consider THAT in you next purchase of hardware...

-chuck

chan@hpfcmr.HP.COM (Chan Benson) (09/13/88)

> DEC's DECwindows Widget Set
> is available by licensing the XUI package. Your cost as an ISV? Cost of
> media, same as MIT charges. With it you get a source license.

What do I have to do to qualify as an ISV? Do I have to develop software
that runs on DEC, or can I just license your widgetry for the programs
I write for Sun, Apollo, and HP?

Does the actual licensing agreement exist yet? Care to post it so we can
get the complete story?

			-- Chan Benson
			HP Fort Collins

turner@daisy.UUCP (D'arc Angel) (09/14/88)

Rather than start a flame war, I'd like to know with whom, as an ISV,
I should get in touch to get more info on getting the software etc.

--

bpendlet@esunix.UUCP (Bob Pendleton) (09/16/88)

From article <403@mmlai.UUCP>, by burzio@mmlai.UUCP (Anthony Burzio):
> In article <1589@daisy.UUCP>, turner@daisy.UUCP (Jim Turner) writes:
>>
>> At Xhibition HP stated that:
>>
>> 1. they had done a set of 3D widget 'extensions' to the PD HP widget
>> set and that they were not free (and therefore not PD).

I'm a bit confused. The HP widgets LOOK 3D. The original request had
to do with 3D widgets for a machine that does real 3D graphics. You
know, real perspective and depth queing, vector end points specified
with x,y, and z coordinates? I thought he has asking for information
on widgets that could be placed in 3 space, maybe associated with
parts of a 3D structure so that they move with the image as it is
scaled, rotated, and translated. Near widgets appearing nearer and
brighter than far widgets.

So, can I get a clarification on this? Do you just want widgets to
LOOK 3D, like a command button that is shaded to look like a button on
an HP calculator, or do you want widgets that have position in 3
space, and that can be composed into 3D structures like normal widgets
can be composed into 2D structures?

			Bob P.

--
Bob Pendleton @ Evans & Sutherland
UUCP Address:  {decvax,ucbvax,allegra}!decwrl!esunix!bpendlet

ferguson@x102c.harris-atd.com (ferguson ct 71078) (06/26/91)

I need a library of widgets that will perform 3D drawing and plotting
(e.g., hidden line removal and rotation).  Are these currently
available from some vendor or archive?  Where can I find them?  Please
reply by e-mail and I will summarize.  Thanks in advance.
Chuck Ferguson             Harris Government Information Systems Division
(407) 984-6010             MS: W1/7742  PO Box 98000  Melbourne, FL 32902
Internet:                  ferguson@x102c.ess.harris.com
Usenet:                    uunet!x102a!x102c!ferguson