[comp.windows.x] NeWS "open" / "standard"?

Kevin Broekhoven <BROEKHVN@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> (06/13/91)

Using the Sun/Scott McNeally definition, OpenLook and X11 are "open" and
"standard" in the sense that the specs are published, they are available
from more that one vendor, and they're available in volume (have I covered
all the bases?)

Where does NeWS fit into all of this?  In the May SunWorld, Scott McNeally
gives an interview where he compares "NeWS to X11" as "Unix to Dos", with
the implication that in some number of years, NeWS will be displacing X11.

Is the technical spec for NeWS published, and freely implementable?  Are there
ports planned to other major platforms?  Or is NeWS a Sun proprietary product
which they expect to be "standard" because Sun will sell it in high volume?
i.e. Will Sun be promoting NeWS as a competing open standard, or as a
"value added" feature of Sun workstations?

I understand that a PostScript extension to X11 is being considered, which
may take a little thunder away from the display postscript abilities of NeWS.

thanks in advance,

Kevin Broekhoven                       Applications Programmer
Computing Services                     Queens University K7L-3N6 (613)545-2235
Bitnet, NetNorth: BROEKHVN at QUCDN    IP: kevin@ccs.QueensU.CA (130.15.48.9)
X.400: Kevin.Broekhoven@QueensU.CA

hedrick@athos.rutgers.edu (Charles Hedrick) (06/15/91)

Yes, the NeWS spec is published and others can implement it.  There is
also code that Sun will let people license (though you'd have to pay
Sun).  Originally Sun intended NeWS to be the standard window system.
They considered it better than X, and indeed there are some technical
arguments for that opinion.  The market had just adopted NFS, and they
hoped the same would happen with NeWS.  It didn't, partly because
other vendors were becoming scared of Sun, and wanted nothing to do
with anything else they initiated, and partly because software for X
was available sooner.  (It's pretty clear that the first plausible
product in an area wins, except in areas where an official standards
process can be used to impose a new standard.)  Thus Sun was forced to
support X, and ended up with OpenWindows, a server that implements
both X and NeWS.  For the moment most applications that are likely to
be used with OpenWindows are based on X.  However Sun says they will
be coming out with new software in the future that uses NeWS, and
takes advantages of its superior capabilities.  Unless they are
successful in getting other vendors to support both X and NeWS,
particularly X terminals (and at least for us, software for 3/50's
used as X terminals), some users may resist using applications based
on NeWS.

gjc@mitech.com (06/17/91)

In article <91164.101625BROEKHVN@QUCDN.QueensU.CA>, BROEKHVN@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Kevin Broekhoven) writes:

> In the May SunWorld, Scott McNeally
> gives an interview where he compares "NeWS to X11" as "Unix to Dos", with
> the implication that in some number of years, NeWS will be displacing X11.

Fantastic anology, perhaps. But an absurd prediction.

In article <91164.101625BROEKHVN@QUCDN.QueensU.CA>, BROEKHVN@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Kevin Broekhoven) writes:

> In the May SunWorld, Scott McNeally
> gives an interview where he compares "NeWS to X11" as "Unix to Dos", with

Given the current growth rates of DOS and Unix actually this is probably
pretty accurate :-).
--
Alfalfa Software, Inc.          |       Poste:  The EMail for Unix
nazgul@alfalfa.com              |       Send Anything... Anywhere

everyone else's.

stripes@eng.umd.edu (Joshua Osborne) (06/19/91)

In article <91164.101625BROEKHVN@QUCDN.QueensU.CA> BROEKHVN@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Kevin Broekhoven) writes:
[...]
>Is the technical spec for NeWS published, and freely implementable?

Yes, but there is no free "reference port".

>                                                                     Are there
>ports planned to other major platforms?

Not as far as I know.  However it has run on a Macintosh ][ (but not very
fast, Display-ish PostScript is a bit much for a Mac to handle), and an Atari
ST.  RAM was a big problem on both of thoes boxes.  (it wouldn't be if you
used it with a Mac running MacOS 7, and a big disk, and a PMMU).  As far as I
know these are not widely available (i.e. people did them to prove that NeWS
was portable, but the ports were too slow to sell...).

>                                         Or is NeWS a Sun proprietary product
>which they expect to be "standard" because Sun will sell it in high volume?

I think Sun thought it would be a "standard" because it was "open", and
they thought "better".  I think it failed because there was no free refernce
port, but who can tell?

>i.e. Will Sun be promoting NeWS as a competing open standard, or as a
>"value added" feature of Sun workstations?

I don't think Sun has ever sold software for Workstations that don't run
SunOS (well, except TOPS).  However SunSoft's charter does not seem to
prohibit this...

>I understand that a PostScript extension to X11 is being considered, which
>may take a little thunder away from the display postscript abilities of NeWS.

As far as the drawing stuff it will take some of it away (of corse Sun has
had longer to make NeWS fast, so mabie it would be a good thing for Sun...
if people use the PostScript extension to X11, they will want it to be fast).
However NeWS also has an input model, and object extentions, and intersting
grarbage collection (you can use an object in such a way that your reference
to it doesn't incrment the refernce counter, and you get some sort of destroy
event when the object vanishes.  Very handy for things like window managers,
or subclassing...).
--
           stripes@eng.umd.edu          "Security for Unix is like
      Josh_Osborne@Real_World,The          Multitasking for MS-DOS"

djones@megatest.UUCP (Dave Jones) (06/20/91)

I wish I could find the article I read the other day. The author said
that X is winning out over NeWS because certain big league players
were still steamed over the acceptance of NFS as a standard, particularly
those who had made large investments in what they considered to be better
products. They just weren't going to let NeWS win, even if it was
better -- expecially if it was better. (Me? I think it's because nobody wants
to type "NeWS" with that stupid little e in it, or explain in conversation
that they mean "NeWS" not "news".)

jg@crl.dec.com (Jim Gettys) (06/20/91)

I'll regret this message, as usual, I expect.

Many people (myself included) dispute the claim NeWS is
"better" than X.  Value judgements are always difficult.  For
example, that I can't write (in the original NeWS,
before the X11/NeWS stuff where I can use X facilities to get my
job done) with reasonable performance imaging
applications that I used to be paid to develop I considered fatal
to any such claim; the ECAD folks have had similar problems with NeWS.

I have other, more fundamental problems with the overall design
of NeWS, but these problems are somewhat more philisophical in
nature, rather than simple pragmatics to getting my job
(and many other people's jobs) done.

Of course, you can dismiss me as biased, if you like :-).  As the
market seems to have spoken, it generally does not help anyone to
beat up on NeWS, so I generally avoid it.

A better analogy in my opinion is that X and NeWS are different fruits;
comparing apples and oranges is always a dangerous topic.  My
opinion has been that both the wide availability of X, and the
fact that NeWS made life hard for a good chunk of the applications
developers in the market, were two of the keys to X's sucess.  But then,
what do I know. :-)

Jim Gettys
Digital Equipment Corporation
Cambridge Research Laboratory

cwpjr@cbnewse.cb.att.com (clyde.w.jr.phillips) (06/26/91)

In article <594@mitech.com>, gjc@mitech.com writes:
> In article <91164.101625BROEKHVN@QUCDN.QueensU.CA>, BROEKHVN@QUCDN.QueensU.CA (Kevin Broekhoven) writes:
> >
> > In the May SunWorld, Scott McNeally
> > gives an interview where he compares "NeWS to X11" as "Unix to Dos", with
> > the implication that in some number of years, NeWS will be displacing X11.
>
> Fantastic anology, perhaps. But an absurd prediction.

The future means throwing more mips at existing, hidebound, nothing
new under the sun software...

Therefore the more the software can shine with more mips the more likely
it will do better in the *future*...

I think diplay postscript will DO BETTER with these mips than "X"...

Clyde