[comp.windows.x] fonts

crm@duke.cs.duke.edu (Charlie Martin) (10/23/87)

Okay, so "one does not" build fonts for X with metafont.  How DOES one
build fonts for metafont?

Along the same lines (what prompted the question to start with) is there
a font somewhere suitable for big letters in xterm?

--
Charlie Martin (crm@cs.duke.edu,mcnc!duke!crm^PL

ken@cs.rochester.edu (Ken Yap) (10/24/87)

|Okay, so "one does not" build fonts for X with metafont.  How DOES one
|build fonts for metafont?
|
|Along the same lines (what prompted the question to start with) is there
|a font somewhere suitable for big letters in xterm?

You meant to say "build fonts for X" I suppose. Maybe take an existing
font and hack at each character with a bitmap editor? If all you want
to do is an 8x13 font, maybe this is fastest. I made a font for lpr
banners long long ago this way.

Didn't dcm post a X font editor sometime back?

	Ken

gerald@ge1cbx.UUCP (Gerald Aden) (12/16/87)

Is there a program for editing fonts?  Also, is there a program that
converts SUN fonts to X fonts?

Thanks in advance,
Gerald Aden
--
Quotron Systems Inc.	| Phone: (213)827-4600 x4254
5454 Beethoven Street	| uucp: ...!trwrb!scgvaxd!janus!ge1cbx!gerald

schultz@NRL-AIC.ARPA (Alan Schultz) (05/20/88)

I am porting a large system written to work under X.V10 on a uVax to
a Sun running X.V11R2. In this code, the fonts "cmr7", "cnt57", and
"helv12" are used extensively. Looking in the /usr/lib/X11/fonts
directory, I see a lot of fonts, but none of the above.
Looking on the uVax that the system used to work on, i found the fonts
there, but they end in ".onx" suffixes.
Question: which fonts in X11 are closest to the ones listed above?
Is there a way to convert the .onx fonts to .snf fonts?

Thank you,

   Alan C. Schultz
   Code 5510
   Navy Center for Applied Research in Artificial Intelligence (NCAR A I)
   Naval Research Laboratory
   Washington, D.C. 20375-5000
   ARPA: schultz@nrl-aic.arpa
   (202) 767-2877

ogata@LEVIATHAN.CS.UMD.EDU (Jeff Ogata) (06/14/88)

anyone know where I can ftp-anonymous X11 fonts from?

happy trails,
- Jeff

rusty@velveeta.berkeley.edu (rusty wright) (06/15/88)

In article <8806140518.AA06853@leviathan.cs.umd.edu> ogata@LEVIATHAN.CS.UMD.EDU (Jeff Ogata) writes:

>anyone know where I can ftp-anonymous X11 fonts from?

There is a program to convert from mac fonts to bdf format in the
contrib direcotry on expo; I've been using it to convert some public
domain mac fonts.  I'll put them on expo in the contrib directory
either in a tar file or (if I can get ftp to make a sub directory) in
the subdirectory fonts_mac in the contrib directory.

--------------------------------------
	rusty c. wright
	rusty@cartan.berkeley.edu ucbvax!cartan!rusty

tap@gumby.SRC.Honeywell.COM (Thomas A Peterson) (12/29/88)

I have a question with regard to font information:

 In Release 2, the per_char value of a XFontStruct was null when
 the font was fixed in size, but now in Release 3 it points to
 some real per_char information (at least for the 9x15 font), even
 though all characters have the same size, WHY?

Thomas Peterson                      Honeywell Systems and Research Center
phone: 612/782-7412                  Computer Sciences/Software Technology
inet : tap@src.honeywell.com         3660 Technology Drive, MN65-2100
uucp : tap@srcsip                    Minneapolis, MN 55418-1106
bang : {umn-cs,ems,mmm}!srcsip!tap

rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) (12/30/88)

    In Release 2, the per_char value of a XFontStruct was null when
    the font was fixed in size, but now in Release 3 it points to
    some real per_char information (at least for the 9x15 font), even
    though all characters have the same size, WHY?

Because R2 was broken, and R3 has is righter.  9x15 has constant
character-width, but not constant side bearings, ascent, or descent.
"Terminal" fonts like 9x15 were lying about their "ink" metrics in R2,
but are reporting real metrics in R3.

Also, note that even if a font has constant metrics, the protocol
does not *require* that the per-char stuff be returned empty;
it's an "if", not an "if and only if".

tbray@watsol.waterloo.edu (Tim Bray) (01/04/89)

In article <8812301258.AA08155@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU> rws@EXPO.LCS.MIT.EDU (Bob Scheifler) writes:
>Because R2 was broken, and R3 has is righter.  9x15 has constant
>character-width, but not constant side bearings, ascent, or descent.
>"Terminal" fonts like 9x15 were lying about their "ink" metrics in R2,
>but are reporting real metrics in R3.

On a related but not-identical X11R3 issue... we have an application
which (for reasons that seem good to us) would like to refresh an area
of text by overwriting the text with XDrawImageString.  This is having
some subtle problems:

1. when the font metrics are slightly off e.g. roman overwriting oblique
adobe-courier-xxxx, and
2. When we overwrite white-on-black with black-on-white in the same font.

The problem is that little bits of what was there are sometimes left
behind showing around the edges of the new text (looks like an
underscore in case #2).

Now #1 is probably OK, and we are investigating work-arounds, including
twiddling the font, but we can't seem to figure out what
XDrawImageString really does.  One piece of documentation says it will
overwrite the bounding box of the actual string argument, but this is
clearly not true (try passing it a string of underscores to show this);
presumably then, the bounding box is either font.ascent to font.descent
or perhaps font.max_bounds.ascent to font.max_bounds.descent, but none
of these seem to be correct.  What's the real poop?  If nobody knows
I'll go thrash through the source, but there's lots of things I'd rather
do...  Or am I missing something obvious?  Thanks in advance,

Tim Bray, New Oxford English Dictionary Project, U of Waterloo

rusho@HYDROGEN.CHEM.UTAH.EDU (09/08/90)

	I have recently compiled a program but when I go to execute it, it
says:

Error: Unable to load any useable ISO8859-1 font

Anyone have any ideas about what could cause this?

		<<<Jon>>>
* rusho@hydrogen.chem.utah.edu *

* 2020 Henry Eyring Building *
* University of Utah *
* Salt Lake City, UT  84112 *

clive@aldetec.oz.au (Clive Salvidge) (09/14/90)

Can someone out there tell me where I can get a copy of the JISX fonts
(mentioned in X Window system users guide - Volume 3) from???

Thankx...

..Clive

Clive Salvidge   ACSnet : clive@aldetec.oz | Internet :  clive@aldetec.oz.au
Aldetec Pty Ltd.                 Voice    :  +61-9-4451888   0900 - 1700 WST
_____________< Got to think of something to put in here! >________________

singh@ccicpg.UUCP (Surinder Singh) (10/06/90)

I would really appreciate, if someone can tell me how to make fonts.
Any literature, books or documents, which talk about the subject.

Surinder

wa@cbnewsh.cb.att.com (william.au) (06/27/91)

I have both X11R4 and openwin on my SPARC.  There are fonts
that I can used only when I run X11R4 but not when I am
running openwin.  What do I have to do to move these fonts
form X11R4 to openwin?