[comp.windows.x] xterm displaying on sun

jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Jim Ray) (06/26/91)

I'm still having problems running xterm on a dec 5500 under
ultrix and having it display on a sun ( either sun4 or sun3 ).

The sun is running generic X11R4.  I have tried "xset -bc" for
backward compatability.... but still get :

#  the following command is issued on the dec...

xterm
X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
operati
on)
  Major opcode of failed request:  2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
  Minor opcode of failed request:  0
  Resource id in failed request:  0x20030
  Serial number of failed request:  54

Any ideas?

--
Jim Ray                                Harris Semiconductor
Internet:  jdr@semi.harris.com         PO Box 883   MS 62B-022

In article <1991Jun26.043742.16882@mlb.semi.harris.com> jdr@sloth.mlb.semi.harris.com (Jim Ray) writes:
>I'm still having problems running xterm on a dec 5500 under
>ultrix and having it display on a sun ( either sun4 or sun3 ).
>
>The sun is running generic X11R4.  I have tried "xset -bc" for
>backward compatability.... but still get :
>
>#  the following command is issued on the dec...
>
>xterm
>X Error of failed request:  BadValue (integer parameter out of range for
>operati
>on)
>  Major opcode of failed request:  2 (X_ChangeWindowAttributes)
>  Minor opcode of failed request:  0
>  Resource id in failed request:  0x20030
>  Serial number of failed request:  54
>  Current serial number in output stream:  55
>
>Any ideas?

It appears to have been a problem with the X11R3 that dec supplies.

I built X11R4, and everything is happy now....

--

mouse@lightning.mcrcim.mcgill.EDU (der Mouse) (06/27/91)

> I'm still having problems running xterm on a dec 5500 under ultrix
> and having it display on a sun ( either sun4 or sun3 ).

> The sun is running generic X11R4.  I have tried "xset -bc" for
> backward compatability.... but still get :

I dunno about your xset, but ours says...

	[Thunder] 10> xset
	usage:  xset [-display host:dpy] option ...
[...]
	    To disable bug compatibility mode:
		-bc
	    To enable bug compatibility mode:
		bc
[...]

Try xset bc instead of xset -bc, maybe?

					der Mouse

			old: mcgill-vision!mouse
			new: mouse@larry.mcrcim.mcgill.edu

tomg@hpcvlx.cv.hp.com. (Thomas J. Gilg) (06/27/91)

> The sun is running generic X11R4.  I have tried "xset -bc" for
> backward compatability.... but still get :

"xset -bc" disables bug compatibility mode, "xset bc" enables it.

.
.
.
.
.
.
.

Yeah, thats what I said also.   Then they have the nerve to list

     -logo                  enable logo in screen saver
     nologo                 disable logo in screen saver

And then there's the "xset +___" ..........

Thomas Gilg
tomg@cv.hp.com